By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Atlus has licensed Sony's PhyreEngine 2.40 for PS3?

I read something not too long ago on Gaf about how Japanese developers are able to make games for surprisingly cheap if you aren't going for amazing graphics on a technical level. With brute force programming they can make a PS2.5 game as they call it as cheap or cheaper than a PS2 game last gen. I didn't think about it before but perhaps this PhyreEngine is part of the reason they can do it so cheaply.

Around the Network
Deidara89 said:
I would mean PS3 jrpg exclusive, right? I hope so...

check my game list above.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Torillian said:
I read something not too long ago on Gaf about how Japanese developers are able to make games for surprisingly cheap if you aren't going for amazing graphics on a technical level. With brute force programming they can make a PS2.5 game as they call it as cheap or cheaper than a PS2 game last gen. I didn't think about it before but perhaps this PhyreEngine is part of the reason they can do it so cheaply.

I wonder why Western developers don't do the same thing.  They really need to take more risks and their obsession with visuals is skyrocketing the budgets for their games.  I think most people stopped caring about graphics several years ago when characters started to look shocking realistic.  Other than removing the uncanny valley effect, I can't imagine graphics improving much further just because they look so good now.

Torillian said:

If that's true then developing PS3 games can be cheaper than the Wii if they don't focus too much on OMG graphics. That would explain NIS and the other niche developers persistence on making PS3 games.

forevercloud3000 said:
Deidara89 said:
I would mean PS3 jrpg exclusive, right? I hope so...

check my game list above.

I saw it... All exclusives?

Around the Network

well at least we confirm a shin megami series hitting the ps3.

Hm... I don't think it would have anything to do with Persona 5 actually... at least not if it's a PS3 game.

Atlus already started working on a Shin Megami Tensei engine back in 2005 when they announced Shin Megami Tensei PS3.

I mean, I guess they could scrap that engine... but I don't see why.

Kasz216 said:

Hm... I don't think it would have anything to do with Persona 5 actually... at least not if it's a PS3 game.

Atlus already started working on a Shin Megami Tensei engine back in 2005 when they announced Shin Megami Tensei PS3.

SMT PS3 was scrapped and later became Persona 4

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Soriku said:
Kasz216 said:

Because...that's 2005. They haven't made any serious development effort on the PS3 in 5 years so I'd bet they don't have an engine. Plus, the SMT listing could've just been tentative and they haven't actually done anything. They didn't have any HD devs by then and were just hiring HD devs like last year or something.

I'd rather they keep Persona 5 on the PS3 than the PSP btw.

From what I remember they talked about it, they said everything was looking great etc and the graphics would be better then ever.

They clearly had an engine unless i'm remembering wrong.  Otherwise they couldn't comment on the art assets.