By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Nintendo Could Charge For Online Gaming

Ooh, that'd be nice. If Nintendo charges for online features, I will cheerfully never consider using those features on my Nintendo console.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

There was a thread on this earlier, but this thread contains far more information and more quotes from the original interview.

To reiterate what I said in the previous thread, my issue with Nintendo's online implementation primarily revolves around the way they handle ownership of downloaded content. The inability to transfer anything I buy through the VC, WiiWare, or DSiWare when switching consoles is a pain, and it ensures I won't be switching to a black Wii or anything of the sort anytime soon.

Bringing a unified ID structure to the Wii would solve not only sold the serious issue of retaining ownership of your games long after you lose ownership of the original hardware they were purchased on (through linking any purchased content to said ID), but it would also make interacting with your friends online far easier.

As for the subject of any fees associated with online play, paying for the entire service is not a good idea. Paying for "some extra value" in addition to online play is something I wouldn't mind, however, given I would only buy the added (and presumably unnecessary) features if I felt the value was worth it.

I would be onboard with a paid service only if I could transfer data more easily between consoles. I hate the whole relying on nintendo to transfer your data if your console is failing. You end up paying 80 bucks for them to transfer it, while they still won't send you all that game data that you can't transfer. After y wii crashed there are games i have never gone back to play, because i just can't get excited about unlocikng the content again until the next time my wii fails. I have stopped buying new downloads on the wii  because it just is more data that i will lose access to eventually. The way their current system is buying vc or ww is largely a waste of money unless you are sure your wii will never ever fail.

Next gen, if Nintendo does not have a better system of transferring data that lets me back-up EVERYTHING i will likely sit it out.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

Nintendo needs to elevate their offerings before charging for online play.

When the online experience about as good as the PS2s in 2002, I really question a paid model. I do think Miyamoto is talking about the next Nintendo console here.

As MM pointed out, some reasonable way to deal with paid content would be nice as well.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

If they brought it up to the same levle as the other companies, i would pay for it. As is, it would be an insult to gamers.

They'd need to come up with something truly special for me to even consider paying any monthly fees/subscription money. As things stand right now, I don't think I'd ever pay for any such service, even if it were as good as Xbox Live. No way. I already pay for my internet, I don't want to pay even more for some extra features using that same internet connection. :-s

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

Hm, considering the lag of SSBB and Mario Kart they either seriously need the money or don't deserve it .. XD

I wouldn't pay this gen,but, next gen I would.

They need to vastly improve their online if they are going to charge for it.

I would gladly pay any fee, as long as they improve the overall internet experience and block pirates and cheaters.  Xbox live like internet experience next gen should do the trick!

yea there's no way I'm paying money to use they're shitty servers.

every game I play lags (and my connection is fine btw)