By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another Look At Piracy

vlad321 said:
gurglesletch said:
vlad321 said:

That is also a wrong analogy. Because the pirated versions are far superior than the retail version in this day and age. By quality, the guys on the street would be selling a far better pair of jeans than the guys in the businesses.

Your last comment is utter BS. I have seen many street vendors who sell t-shirts that are 3 for 10 and they are super thin which means they won't keep you very warm I have a t-shirt i got from Kohl's more than 2 years ago and i have worn it at least ONCE a week since i bought it which is equivalent to 208+ weeks. The funny thing is that when i got the shirt I only paid 3$ since it was on their 90% off clearance rack.  Also me + my family have gotten more sick from street vendor food than from any brick and mortar business. 

I don't think you understood analogy at all.

You said. Street > Store. I proved Store >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Street 

Around the Network
gurglesletch said:
vlad321 said:

You said. Street > Store. I proved Store >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. Street 

See, that is not what I said at all, so yes, you completely missed the point.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:
Almi said:

so, whats the value of your "physical goods"?... only a small percentage of the price are for the actual material of let's say a jeans. you basically pay transport, the retailer and the brandname.oh and 1% for the chinese workers.

when buying a game you at least pay the actual "workers" like 50% of your price.

When I give you my jeans, can I use my jeans still? There's your value.

A good example with physical goods like clothing is knockoff merchandise/imitation goods. It's a big problem in large, urban US cities. There's lost value for the real manufacturer in the ability for consumers to acquire a fake NFL jersey from a black market dealer for $10-20 instead of the $60-80 it costs to buy a legal, officially licensed one. Women's purses/bags are also popular knockoff items.

That is also a wrong analogy. Because the pirated versions are far superior than the retail version in this day and age. By quality, the guys on the street would be selling a far better pair of jeans than the guys in the businesses.

Irrelevant and totally anecdotal. Pirated copies of games have many disadvantages same as they have advantages. Saying they are all far superior is false. Different problems present themselves across different platforms. Also there's no standard of quality in regards to knockoff clothing either. Some can be of similar quality to the real thing, and some of it can be utter crap.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:

Irrelevant and totally anecdotal. Pirated copies of games have many disadvantages same as they have advantages. Saying they are all far superior is false. Different problems present themselves across different platforms. Also there's no standard of quality in regards to knockoff clothing either. Some can be of similar quality to the real thing, and some of it can be utter crap.

I don't see how it's anecdotal at all. You don't have securom or starfroce. You don't have limited installations or internet requirements. All you get is the game and you can do with it whatever you want without having to put up with anything. Also, pirate copies are not worse than the source material, they never are. In the off chance they are whatever group cracked them gains some pretty bad reputation, and most of the grouops that crack the games are just looking for good reputation. For just about every game, the pirated copy is a superior product than the original.

Maybe if games still came with things liek cloth maps, or thick manuals which have dozens of pages of story or little figurines. Those days however are long gone, and as it stands the pirate copies of a game are always better than the one from the store. In your analogy, the pirates take the merchandise and make it better, then give it away for free.

All it comes down to is that physical and digital goods can't be compared at all.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
gurglesletch said:
vlad321 said:

took me a minute to get your meaning.  Your saying that if the rip off clothing were the standard that pirated games are to the produced games it would be like the street venders selling a better product.

is that what you meant? because it wasn't that clear

Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:
vlad321 said:
gurglesletch said:
vlad321 said:

took me a minute to get your meaning.  Your saying that if the rip off clothing were the standard that pirated games are to the produced games it would be like the street venders selling a better product.

is that what you meant? because it wasn't that clear

Yes it was. SOrry if it wasn't clear. Basically, treating digital copies as physical products is just faulty reasoning.

vlad321 said:
Squilliam said:
Yup. The numbers of games bought vs downloaded is quite a difference. It does pay to be sensible and buy games you know you'll play more than once rather than buying 20-30 games a year and not finish many and $600 U.S pays for a hell of a lot of hardware upgrades.

I know many people who pirate that support this logic. They have 600+GB of pirated games they have never played. I know someone with over 200 burnt Xbox 360 games. How many games did publishers really lose out on? About 5 or 6.

The biggest weapon against piracy is a timely Steam sale. A lot of my pirate friends are very value concious. If they can get a game for $20 they will buy it and take advantage of the convenience of Steam rather than download it.

Basically this. I spent $80 for D2 LoD, and I spent hundreds of hours on it, many many hundreds. $70 for Starcraft and Warcraft 2 and 3 and I spent hundreds of hours out of them. UT2004 set me back only $50.Don't even get me started on the value of Civ 4.

FInally, while I have spent around $750 on WoW, I have 250 days of /played. That's 6,000 hours.

Why should I pay $60 for MW2 which is a re-tread of a game, and is utter shit when it comes to features? Same goes for jsut about any shooter that has come out since 2005, except for Metro 2033 which had some amazing new features, and Portal.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

vlad321 said:
Squilliam said:
Yup. The numbers of games bought vs downloaded is quite a difference. It does pay to be sensible and buy games you know you'll play more than once rather than buying 20-30 games a year and not finish many and $600 U.S pays for a hell of a lot of hardware upgrades.

I know many people who pirate that support this logic. They have 600+GB of pirated games they have never played. I know someone with over 200 burnt Xbox 360 games. How many games did publishers really lose out on? About 5 or 6.

The biggest weapon against piracy is a timely Steam sale. A lot of my pirate friends are very value concious. If they can get a game for $20 they will buy it and take advantage of the convenience of Steam rather than download it.

Basically this. I spent $80 for D2 LoD, and I spent hundreds of hours on it, many many hundreds. $70 for Starcraft and Warcraft 2 and 3 and I spent hundreds of hours out of them. UT2004 set me back only $50.Don't even get me started on the value of Civ 4.

FInally, while I have spent around $750 on WoW, I have 250 days of /played. That's 6,000 hours.

Why should I pay $60 for MW2 which is a re-tread of a game, and is utter shit when it comes to features? Same goes for jsut about any shooter that has come out since 2005, except for Metro 2033 which had some amazing new features, and Portal.

So basically you are mesmerized by shit and can't help yourself but you have to play those shitty games ???

PS : so what excuse are you going to bring when Starcraft 2 becomes the most pirated game of 2010 ? I wonder...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:

So basically you are mesmerized by shit and can't help yourself but you have to play those shitty games ???

PS : so what excuse are you going to bring when Starcraft 2 becomes the most pirated game of 2010 ? I wonder...

Not really, I give them a try and they end up being shit. Not my fault their are shitty games.

P.S. Pretty good ones, lack of LAN and $60 to start off with. If those don't cause a ton of piracy then I'd be disappointed. Companies bend over for their customers, not the other way around.

vlad321 said:
Onyxmeth said:
vlad321 said:

Oh sorry i thought you were asking why they put in the iPhone and not another console. The statistics just shows that even if youa ssume 90% of games are pirated, it's done so by a very small amount of customers, 10% in fact. As such the whole 90% is heavily skewed.

It's poorly founded, because it's comparing the ways in which to measure both iPhone and PC pirate percentages, and yet only gives a reason as to why PC games are pirated. It's a wholly unique reason and doesn't address why the iPhone games are pirated, and it never addresses then why console games get pirated or how it correlates to the percentage of pirates over different platforms. Overall very poorly done, and an obvious plug for their product. I understand you have an agenda to fulfill here, but step back and look at this bunk. It's just sloppy, half done field work and the two segments of the article don't fit well together at all by themselves.

I see what you are saying, the people on iPhone pirate for different reasons than on the PC. However I'd bet that the case of the iPhone is also very true for all the other platforms, the priates just pirate disproportionately more, they probably don't even get to using msot of the content they pirate. Also even that statistic is skewed sicne I bet not everyone who has a jailbroken phone pirates.

Additionally, it should be noted that pirates aren't typical users mostly.

Most people who pirate tend to know a lot more about stuff.  I mean like they said themselves... you have to know about jailbreaking your Iphone to pirate from it.

The numbers are likley at least a little bit higher since the "developed economy" pirates are likely to have more income then they average person.