By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 6 Most Important consoles of all time...

No Dreamcast in the list? Hell NO!

Around the Network

hey CGI, u forgot to mention 16-bit Sega mega drive II.

XanderZane said:
Sony and Nintendo even stole the HOME button from XBox 360 controller

PSP had a home button and it was released in 2004. The 360 was released in 2005.

I think the list is mostly right, for what are actually good reasons, even if the editorial has some fanboy baws. However, I would replace the 360 with the original XBox. Sure, XBL has a lot of things now, but it was the XBox that got XBL to start going, and was the console that really popularized online gaming. But the other 5 can stay.

As for the PS2, a few others have said what I think- it's an expansion of the PS1- they just upped the graphical power and went to a DVD drive from a CD. Nothing revolutionary in terms of importance; don't get me wrong, the PS2 is an excellent system, but its importance just isn't there.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

dirkd2323 said:
Hell no I disagree, No PS2 the first console to bring DVD format to really take off, first console to run a 10 year life span, The top sales of any console, most games, This is simply MADNESS, PS2 has to be on this list, take the 360 off, put PS2 in, 360 should be in there , also take that magnavox off,

1- Atari 2600
2- NES reg nintendo
3-Super Nintendo
4- PS1
5- PS2
6- 360 and PS3

PS3 brought another top disc out to great sales, and take off, Blu ray.
360 for bringing the best online play out first.

This is a real list.

acturally the Atari 2600 was the first to run at a 10 year lifespan... Atari 2600 had the longest lifespan then any video game console

Around the Network

man, ppl like to diss stuff on this site lol.

I'll keep a reminder to never start threads about anything w/ an opinion.

thanks, for the short interesting list cgi

When judging consoles that come from different generations, I think it comes down to a judgement call. Judging console importance for consoles that come from the same generation is much easier. Just look at which one gets copied.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Good list, but it's definitely lacking the N64. Analog stick for 3D gaming had a huge impact on console gaming, there's no denying that. I don't know which one I'd take off though, though it seems that 360's Live is least important to the industry.

can someone tells me why none of last gens system isn't in the list?

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

gustave154 said:
can someone tells me why none of last gens system isn't in the list?

Last gen was essentially built on the successes of the preceding generation.

IMO what last gen brought to the table more than anything was the concept of multiplatform development between consoles, which had never existed to such a scale.

I also think its hard not to have 360 on the list, its very difficult to argue that it didnt have the biggest impact in the way that consoles treat, and play, the online experience.