By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 6 Most Important consoles of all time...

Opa-Opa said:
I think you have some good points.

The Xbox 360 is too flawed to be on this list, and not as "influential," as it is an assembly of different home console ideas bundled into one package with a certain fail-rate.

I would say the Odyssey, thought the first, is beyond suck and doesn't belong either.

Really Atari 2600 is perhaps the most influential in popularizing the home console.

A LOT OF PEOPLE owned Ataris.

You people obviously didn't read the article completely. The reason the XBox 360 is there is because of the XBox LIVE which basically revolutionized console online gaming. Yes, we know PC had it for a long, long time, but no game console had made it this simple to meet friends online, chat and start an online game together. Also, XBox Live has the most DLC, videos, movies, demos and games of any of the current gen consoles. So that's why the XBox 360 is there. The Atari 2600 didn't need to be on the list. Sure it got the masses playing, but it also help to lead the industry up to the crash. The NES definitely should be on the list. The rest of the list is fine I think.

Magnavox Odyssey (Started console gaming)

NES (Restarted online gaming after the crash.)

PS1 (Start the CD media storage for games.)

XBox 360 (Revolutionized game console online gaming)

Wii (Changed the way casual gamers played games)

'gaming till I'm gone'

Around the Network

People need to remember that they are talking about what the console did and not what the games that were played on these consoles did.

'gaming till I'm gone'

.jayderyu said:
It's has some important points. Though I disagree on the 360. The online that is being used by MS was already pioneered by GameSpy, Heat and there were 2 others that I don't remember. They pretty much did what Live does YEARS before Live. Live was MS attempt to copy PC Internet game network and charge money. Once Live was established they tried to port it to PC. It failed.

If anything Live has been more detrimental to Console Online Gaming than beneficial. Where as a majority online games for PC are free Live likes to charge a fee for stuff that is free on the PC gaming. What Live did wasn't make online gaming better for consoles. What it really did was bring online gaming earlier, but at the cost of online gaming maturity.

So no. I don't agree that the 360 was important. It was more damaging for the long run of console gaming.

Yeah.. we're talking about game consoles here, NO PC's. It had never been done like this on a GAME CONSOLE. That's the point he was trying to make. Of course Microsoft charged for it. They were the first to do it on consoles and like Cable, Electricity, Cell Phones, and even broadband services; every service has usually has a FEE to it. PC online isn't FREE either. You pay for broadband unless you are stealing it from your neighbor. Someone is PAYING.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Eh neat list.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Replace X360 with PS2 and I agree with the list.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

Replace X360 with PS2 and I agree with the list.

I'd love to hear a reasonable argument for why the PS2 is more important than the X360. Hell, I even think the first Xbox is more important than the PS2.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

XanderZane said:
Opa-Opa said:

The Xbox 360 is too flawed to be on this list, and not as "influential," as it is an assembly of different home console ideas bundled into one package with a certain fail-rate.

I would say the Odyssey, thought the first, is beyond suck and doesn't belong either.

Really Atari 2600 is perhaps the most influential in popularizing the home console.

You people obviously didn't read the article completely. The reason the XBox 360 is there is because of the XBox LIVE which basically revolutionized console online gaming. Yes, we know PC had it for a long, long time, but no game console had made it this simple to meet friends online, chat and start an online game together. Also, XBox Live has the most DLC, videos, movies, demos and games of any of the current gen consoles. So that's why the XBox 360 is there. The Atari 2600 didn't need to be on the list. Sure it got the masses playing, but it also help to lead the industry up to the crash. The NES definitely should be on the list. The rest of the list is fine I think.

I wouldn't singularly blame Atari for the video game crash in '83.  Sure, they had some low-quality games, but they were producing some stellar shit for the time compared to EVERY random company who had buy-in into the industry.  The crash was a culmination of things.

I'll stick by my guns here and say:

Xbox 360 is hardly innovative.  Consoles have tried going online in the past, but MS just capitalized at the right time.

I know no other console that polarizes people better than the 360 -- sure it has a decent set of games, and a fun-easy online setting, but Live alone isn't enough, in my opinion, to justify its spot in game-history.

Additionally, I know no other console people defend more (or attack) for its blatant shortcomings.  

Come on, the RROD was inexcusable.  30 % + chance of your console dying within a year for a 300 USD 'ish console would be considered a travesty, a friggin' joke if any other company outside of MS hadn't produced it.

The truth is:  Americans make the 360 work in this market.  Anywhere else in the world, it's barely heralded as competitor.

GETTIN' CHRONOCRUNK

Opa-Opa said:
XanderZane said:
Opa-Opa said:

I wouldn't singularly blame Atari for the video game crash in '83.  Sure, they had some low-quality games, but they were producing some stellar shit for the time compared to EVERY random company who had buy-in into the industry.  The crash was a culmination of things.

I'll stick by my guns here and say:

Xbox 360 is hardly innovative.  Consoles have tried going online in the past, but MS just capitalized at the right time.

I know no other console that polarizes people better than the 360 -- sure it has a decent set of games, and a fun-easy online setting, but Live alone isn't enough, in my opinion, to justify its spot in game-history.

Additionally, I know no other console people defend more (or attack) for its blatant shortcomings.  

Come on, the RROD was inexcusable.  30 % + chance of your console dying within a year for a 300 USD 'ish console would be considered a travesty, a friggin' joke if any other company outside of MS hadn't produced it.

The truth is:  Americans make the 360 work in this market.  Anywhere else in the world, it's barely heralded as competitor.

XBox Live paved the way for the PSN and Wii network structure. Sony and Nintendo even stole the HOME button from XBox 360 controller. You keep bringing up ever negative about XBox 360, when the only thing I'm talking about is XBox Live. The XBox 360 has sold the same amount of consoles in European countries as the PS3. So, I would definitely say it's heralded as competition in other countries. If it was made by a Japanese company it would be miles ahead of the PS3 in Europe and Japan, I'm sure. Because foreign countries turn their noses up at just about everything American is just one of the reasons it's not more successful. The PS3 has had it shares of problems as well. How many updates has Sony released that have made PS3's unplayable? The PS3 has been attacked and defend as much as the XBox 360. For it's overpriced and overhyped system that literally took over 2 years to finally take off. The PS3 was considered a Joke as well when it launched. So stop looking at things from one side. None of the game consoles on the market were perfect. NONE!!

'gaming till I'm gone'

^ Who "stole" what or "borrowed" this or that console idea is a mute point in this generation.
It's a cyclical argument when it comes to online gaming and, now, motion control gameplay.

Being a stolid Nintendo fan THIS GENERATION (Don't let the console icons under my name fool you, I've owned every console prior, including the original Xbox), it disconcerting that Nintendo feels compelled to flood the market with games, retrograded in terms of graphics and orginality.

Seriously, I despise modern-Ninty fans probably as much as the Xbox fan-boys.

My apologies for this aside (rant), but I appreciate your comments man, very insightful.

Welcome to vgchartz btw.

GETTIN' CHRONOCRUNK

I own all the systems too, including old systems like Turbographix, Colecovision, 3DO and Lynx. I've played them all. Been gaming for over 25yrs. I even played old text message games that were printed on dot-matrix paper.  People probably forgot about that or don't have a clue about what I'm talking about. I've been to the E3 at least 10 times. Even when it was part of the CES. A lot of people forget that the first E3 was in Chicago and not L.A. So yes, I know a LOT about game consoles and games.

As for stolen features, I know it's mute, but it was part of XBox that allowed you to access XBox Live dashboard and chat with friends. That's why I mentioned it. Still, stuff like that paved the way for Sony and Nintendo when they set up their online service a year later.

'gaming till I'm gone'