By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS2 is pretty much dead and I blame Sony.

Severance said:
Rainbird said:
The PS2 died because people moved on to other things, and PS2 BC in the PS3 would have done nothing to change that. It would just have lessened HW sales and possibly boosted SW sales a little. It wouldn't really have changed anything.

thats what the OP is saying.

I think there is a difference between boosting sales a little and SW sales being much more relevant today. I'm saying it wouldn't make much of a difference, while the OP says that the PS2 would be much more alive and kicking today.

Around the Network
thelifatree said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Wonktonodi said:
selling 3 to 4% of the software each week when the console is 10 years old is pretty good for a dead console.

And if every PS3 could play PS2 games it would be a considerably higher number.

Its not crazy to think people would dabble in the PS2 library if every PS3 gave you that option.

The problem with that is most PS2 software is sold used now. Now maybe, it would have sold more new copies (which is what matters to sony) but, there's no way to say either way.

Well there would be a bigger demand for PS2 software in general if the PS3 had BC.

All PS2 software would be selling better, used and new. Also, Sony would have been able to sell PS2 games on PSN.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

First buying a ps2 cost you 99 dollars ...

Second it's not dead ... at least me my mates still have fun with it before going out :D

The backwards compatibility in the PS3 is crap. I tried playing the original Tomb Raider and the game freezes when you select to start! So I cleaned the disc and guess what...same problem. I checked Sony's website and they claim that the problem is on their side!:

Tomb Raider
Publisher: Eidos Product No: SLUS-00152
Description: The following conditions have been resolved on PS3 System Software Version 2.60: When the title is left inactive for approximately 15 seconds on the Main menu, the title hangs.

I have System Software 3.30 and the game still doesn't work, what the heck! It's BS!

And then I tried playing Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy...loads up fine, I teleport to Geyser Rock...looking good so far, then I pick up a Precursor Orb...and the game lags like no tomarrow.

What the heck!?! I can break chests, collect Power Cells, and Scout Flies but, if I even touch an orb and there's alot of motion in the background the game refuses to play normally. Once again I check with Sony and yup, they know they screwed up big time:

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
Publisher:  Sony Computer Entertainment Product No: SCUS-97124
Description: At a specific point during gameplay, the title performs at a significantly slower than normal performance speed.

Here's a video of the problem

And they don't even lie about having a solution either.

I can go on and on but the point is, the support for fixing the broken BC is completely intolerable.

There's my 2 cents. I believe support for the PS2 would of been much better if Sony had done a better job of BC.

Mr Puggsly said:
thelifatree said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Wonktonodi said:
selling 3 to 4% of the software each week when the console is 10 years old is pretty good for a dead console.

Its not crazy to think people would dabble in the PS2 library if every PS3 gave you that option.

The problem with that is most PS2 software is sold used now. Now maybe, it would have sold more new copies (which is what matters to sony) but, there's no way to say either way.

Well there would be a bigger demand for PS2 software in general if the PS3 had BC.

All PS2 software would be selling better, used and new. Also, Sony would have been able to sell PS2 games on PSN.

I will agree, about the selling software old PS2 software on PSN, Because if it had backwards compatibility it would be like the Psone games FF7,8,9, And MGS which I bought. Because now they have to actually port the game to ps3 which is much more costly. Which might have in turn meant more profits for them against the cost of including BC

But, Like I mean, they can't keep the PS2 alive forever. There are still tons of developers that can make software to the PS2 for the millions of people that still use it. Like I guess it's fine that you think Sony Killed PS2, but it was intentional plus age helped as well.

Around the Network
Quo said:

The backwards compatibility in the PS3 is crap. I tried playing the original Tomb Raider and the game freezes when you select to start! So I cleaned the disc and guess what...same problem. I checked Sony's website and they claim that the problem is on their side!:

Tomb Raider
Description: The following conditions have been resolved on PS3 System Software Version 2.60: When the title is left inactive for approximately 15 seconds on the Main menu, the title hangs.

I have System Software 3.30 and the game still doesn't work, what the heck! It's BS!

And then I tried playing Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy...loads up fine, I teleport to Geyser Rock...looking good so far, then I pick up a Precursor Orb...and the game lags like no tomarrow.

What the heck!?! I can break chests, collect Power Cells, and Scout Flies but, if I even touch an orb and there's alot of motion in the background the game refuses to play normally. Once again I check with Sony and yup, they know they screwed up big time:

Description: At a specific point during gameplay, the title performs at a significantly slower than normal performance speed.

I can go on and on but the point is, the support for fixing the broken BC is completely intolerable.

There's my 2 cents. I believe support for the PS2 would of been much better if Sony had done a better job of BC.

Did you have a software BC PS3 or a hardware BC PS3 (Which was first) I think this was the case (or i'm dreaming) As obviously the software one had issues

thelifatree said:
Mr Puggsly said:
thelifatree said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Wonktonodi said:

I will agree, about the selling software old PS2 software on PSN, Because if it had backwards compatibility it would be like the Psone games FF7,8,9, And MGS which I bought. Because now they have to actually port the game to ps3 which is much more costly. Which might have in turn meant more profits for them against the cost of including BC

But, Like I mean, they can't keep the PS2 alive forever. There are still tons of developers that can make software to the PS2 for the millions of people that still use it. Like I guess it's fine that you think Sony Killed PS2, but it was intentional plus age helped as well.

The reason why it's kept alive is because the profit margins from the hardware are too good to give up for now. If the PS3 manages to get a big profit margin, they might put BC back in, as they can make people buy PS3's then without fearing financial backlash. On the other hand, if people just played their PS2 games on the PS3, it would also mean they'd not be buying and playing PS3 games.

IF they do bring back PS2 compatibility, it'll be in coordination with a PSN-boost, as that'll create heaps of cash.

Quo said:

Tomb Raider

Well the BC for PS1 games is software emulation. So its not surprising to hear there are problems.

I believe the original PS3s did BC through hardware. Later models used software emulation and compatibility was significantly worse.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Quo said:

Tomb Raider

Well the BC for PS1 games is software emulation. So its not surprising to hear there are problems.

I believe the original PS3s did BC through hardware. Later models used software emulation and compatibility was significantly worse.

Also, I know this is a bit OT I'm sorry, But I'm pretty sure the PSN download games are slightly ported as not a direct copy and paste.  As atleast in my PS3 the FF8 psone disc, battle swirl is all screwed up, and on my FF8 PSN it works like it originally did, atleast for me.

BC has nothing to do with PS2's software sales.

compare it to other 10+ year old consoles without BC?, how are DC or xbox doing right now in term of software sales??

Compare to other 10+ year old consoles WITH BC? How are Gamecube or GBA doing in term of software sales?

the fact is, it's 10+ years old, are you serious??

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)