By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3rd party support 4 the wii is it 2 late

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
I'm missing something. I just can't put my finger on it.

punctuation

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

It's my belief that people when addressing the Wii seem to highlight the problems the system has without mentioning anything good. I'm going to try to remedy that situation.

1. Assumption: Wii Third-party support is not as good as the other two systems.

Response: The support isn't worse, it's just different. Sure you can ask "Where are games like Lost Planet, Devil May Cry 4 and Assassin's Creed on Wii?" But you can easily turn around and say "Where are games like Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Monster Hunter 3 and No More Heroes on PS3?" Furthermore, the HD Twins (and they're called twins for a reason) have completely neglected genres that are lots of fun and are only found on Wii. Genres like exercise games, Quirky sports games, and quality light-gun shooters. Are those games that everyone will like? No, but just know that I've spent more time on Wii Sports than I have on any game post-SNES (except Smash maybe). If you're a gamer who perfers the games on the HD systems that's fine. But don't go assuming that people can't possibly own JUST a Wii because there aren't enough "cool" games on it.

2. Assumption: The overall Wii library is garbage.

Response: This point is closely connected to my first point but is also different. Clearly the third-party support is different. But the Wii's library is very different in many other ways. For example, in terms of retro gaming, the Wii is THE console to own. It has an ever expanding library of Sega games, PC-Engine games, Arcade games and Nintendo games. Games that are both easy to find (All the Marios) and games that are hard or impossible to find (Sin and Punishment, Ogre Battle 64). The Wii also can play all gamecube games (obviously). Other than that, the Wii has a great library of last-gen updated ports with the likes of REmake, RE:0, Okami, RE:4, Metroid Prime Trilogy, etc. Many of which play better than the originals. Other than VC, the Wii has arguably the best download service with WiiWare. Gems like Lostwinds 1+2, World of Goo, Cave Story, Swords and Soldiers and Icarian. These games are great, especially considering their price. Then you obviously have every game from Nintendo, all of which are arguably better than their gamecube counter-parts. Not only do you have the big series like Mario, Metroid and Zelda but you have some less-known but still great series like Punch-out and Excite. In the end, if you're a core gamer and can't find enough to play on Wii you're not looking hard enough.

3. Assumption: The Wii sucks becuase of all the shovelware.

Response: Easy. Don't buy the shovelware. Ignore it, that's what most Wii owners do. Unfortunatly, you usually can't walk into a Wal-mart and see the "best" third-party games. You have to either go to a game-centric store like Gamestop or shop online. That's not much of a hassle so I don't see why people are complaining.

In conclusion, buying "random games" is a horrible buying strategy. What you're supposed to do is research upcoming games, look online for screenshots or videos or impressions and see if it's the type of game you might like. Then maybe look at a couple of reviews to see if the games buyable. Or better yet, rent the game to see if you like it. However, if you don't end up liking any of the Wii's current and upcoming games, then the Wii is just not for you and you should move on.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

it's a big mystery actually, it's really hard to predict what games would sell on Wii

a Wii game cannot sell just by quality, because otherwise Little King's Story, Red Steel 2 and No More Heroes would sell more

price is not really the reason good games don't sell, but can help in some way

multiplayer games also have an advantage on Wii (legs) so it's stupid not to include a 2p mode for Wii games

popular franchises (MH3) also have an advantage on Wii (so why not to release a GTA)

good marketing/promotion/advertising is another thing that can help

what is for sure is that the core gamers are there, they just won't buy full price games without knowing for sure what they buy is good

the best one i can think is that 3rd party games have been sooo awful on Wii for it's first 2 years, most of them short with broken controls, so Nintendo games is a safe road for most people, too late to fix the bad image

something similar to how the word " Mario" is equivalent to quality for Wii owners

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

You're certainly not alone. My son is in the same boat and so are many of his friends. You can't put a game like Red Steel 2 on Wii without multiplayer and online and expect anyone to pick it up. Even I who spents 90% of my game time on the Wii would sooner buy a 360 game over RS2 as RS2 no matter how good it is, is not a full featured product worthy of a full price tag.
Same with Dead Space Extraction. If it was a full Dead Space 3rd person horror/shooter like RE4 I'd have bought it like RE4. As it is now, I've not picked it up even half price because I have enough on-rails shooters already.

MH3 I have, and I hope it does really well because it's the first truly AAA 3rd party game to come to Wii.

Is it too late? No, Wii is the market leader and a lot of people, yourself included, own Wiis. If the games come out, people will buy. Either way, Wii has won this generation.

twistedcellz said:

let me tell u the real reasons why lots of game on the wii dont sell 
its bcuz core gamers have been disappointed with the wii so now they just dont buy games exept nintendo ones (I kno that cuz Im one of them exept 4 great 3rd party games)

Oxymoron much?

I have bought more third party games in three years than any previous three years, I am enjoying my console thoroughly, a lot more than I would with an X360/PS3.

To a point you are correct, 3rd party publishers and some developers have been total assholes about the Wii and not put the effort in that they would on the other consoles, the effort they put into other consoles though is for the most part games I have little interest in, so if they simply copied their games to the Wii as best they can it would make little difference to me in the majority of cases.

Around the Network

No, its too late. The next generation is up soon and Nintendo will get another chance then..

Say what now??

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

@ commonman and woopah

sorry I speak english perfectly but since I went to a french school

I never really learned how to write it so sorry about that

Nintendo made me a gamer so I'd be stupid to ever try to forget that                                             like so many people nowadays

The Top  Best Consoles Are SNES and PSX 

Currently Playing: 1.Monster Hunter tri 2.MegaMan 10

twistedcellz said:
@ commonman and woopah

sorry I speak english perfectly but since I went to a french school

I never really learned how to write it so sorry about that

That's why I asked, we have a lot of posters here that English is not their first language. I didn't want to offend you if that was the case. Not a problem, I got the gist of what you were saying, I just am a grammar nut so I get prickly about stupid stuff.

Well I'm enjoying MH Tri so it's too late for this thread.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D