By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I am officially an ex playstation fanboy

welcome back ! you are now free of all those silly sony formats

Around the Network

I am officially an ex walloftext fanboy now. True story.

Gotta learn to back stuff up! doesn't matter what it's on.

ohshutyourmouth said:

Let me get this straight. To make a long story short, I bought a 600 dollar ps3 in which i have over 30 games. I've been a playstation fanboy from back in the day with the ps one. I've got 62 ps2 games, and 43 ps one games. I dont know if any of you out there remember my screen name about me posting about when my ps3 broke the first time... (another long story in itself) my ps3 broke. YLOD, and my dog had died that week also and alot of really good pictures of her were on that hard drive. Sony reassured me to not send in my hard drive and that id rather wait until they could fix my original ps3 so i could be able to recover my data. Unfoturanatly i did not back up my data previously as i thought the PS3 was this system that could never break with a 10% failure rate compared to the 360's 50%. Well, i was returned with a ps3 that was even older than my original unit. Even thou it was still a 60 gigger. So, yeah i was pissed at sony but, as me bein interested in nothing unless it had the playstation brand name, i was still glad i paid the 190 dollars to get the ps3 fixed. Fast foward 32 days after getting the 2nd ps3 to me..... i go to turn it on and the YLOD is there. After 2 hours literally of playing phone tag with a manager at the sony hotline, she told me i was 2 days past my new warrannty and now i need to spend another 190 to get another one. I was infuriated and demanded to talk with someone even higher than her. She told me she cant give out that number unless its an emergency. I call this an emergency. I also told her that i need my data back on my drive. No matter what it takes, i dont care. And if i cant get the data, i want my ps3 shipped back to me, left unfixed because i put a bunch of songs i wrote on the "eyecreate"  with my band and was planning to back that data up but i didnt expect the ps3 to die within 32 days of a refurberished unit. She told me, sorry, theres no way of doing that b/c she has no control what the service center does. I than asked whats the number to the service center and she told me there is no number and that only corporate can talk to them directly. I told her all my situation, my past with playstation, how much MONEY ive spent with playstation, and she did not care. This my friends is a warning to you. Sony has lost another customer today, someone who has stupidly supported them even in their dark days. I will not ever buy another product from them again.

The warranty on serviced items is 90 days, and not 30 days.

You should have also bought a slim instead, especially since you already have a PS2.  For about $110 more (plus taxes) you would get a new system with a 1-year warranty, a bigger HDD, a DS3 controller, and potentially a game thrown in if there is a retailer promotion.

You should also search YouTube for Gilsky YLOD for information on how to repair your PS3 yourself.  If it works, you'll recover your data.  If not, you are no worse off than you are now.

sorry about your dog.

lesson learned, back up your information. 2nd lesson learned, it is easier to recove data off of a PC than a PS3 when it fails....use a PC.

fighter said:
welcome back ! you are now free of all those silly sony formats

?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

It is important to understand that there is NO consumer product that is perfect, and with large number of units sold, someone will end up having a string of bad luck, as you had.  You need to weigh all benefits, and try not to develop a religious devotion to a commercially sold product.

ohshutyourmouth said:

Let me get this straight. To make a long story short, I bought a 600 dollar ps3 in which i have over 30 games. I've been a playstation fanboy from back in the day with the ps one. I've got 62 ps2 games, and 43 ps one games. I dont know if any of you out there remember my screen name about me posting about when my ps3 broke the first time... (another long story in itself) my ps3 broke. YLOD, and my dog had died that week also and alot of really good pictures of her were on that hard drive. Sony reassured me to not send in my hard drive and that id rather wait until they could fix my original ps3 so i could be able to recover my data. Unfoturanatly i did not back up my data previously as i thought the PS3 was this system that could never break with a 10% failure rate compared to the 360's 50%. Well, i was returned with a ps3 that was even older than my original unit. Even thou it was still a 60 gigger. So, yeah i was pissed at sony but, as me bein interested in nothing unless it had the playstation brand name, i was still glad i paid the 190 dollars to get the ps3 fixed. Fast foward 32 days after getting the 2nd ps3 to me..... i go to turn it on and the YLOD is there. After 2 hours literally of playing phone tag with a manager at the sony hotline, she told me i was 2 days past my new warrannty and now i need to spend another 190 to get another one. I was infuriated and demanded to talk with someone even higher than her. She told me she cant give out that number unless its an emergency. I call this an emergency. I also told her that i need my data back on my drive. No matter what it takes, i dont care. And if i cant get the data, i want my ps3 shipped back to me, left unfixed because i put a bunch of songs i wrote on the "eyecreate"  with my band and was planning to back that data up but i didnt expect the ps3 to die within 32 days of a refurberished unit. She told me, sorry, theres no way of doing that b/c she has no control what the service center does. I than asked whats the number to the service center and she told me there is no number and that only corporate can talk to them directly. I told her all my situation, my past with playstation, how much MONEY ive spent with playstation, and she did not care. This my friends is a warning to you. Sony has lost another customer today, someone who has stupidly supported them even in their dark days. I will not ever buy another product from them again.

All I see from this post:

1) Some kid who I've never seen on this site who I'm 65% sure is an alt so I don't care.

2) A giant wall of text that I don't care to read.

3) Probably griping about things that don't matter too much anyways so I don't care.

So I guess if I'm even going to attempt to say anything contructive...

twesterm said:
ohshutyourmouth said:

All I see from this post:

1) Some kid who I've never seen on this site who I'm 65% sure is an alt so I don't care.

2) A giant wall of text that I don't care to read.

3) Probably griping about things that don't matter too much anyways so I don't care.

So I guess if I'm even going to attempt to say anything contructive...

All I see is a guy that cared enough to comment...

Sorry for your loss and your dog man.

Now, you should never put that important info on just one device, even the better HDD are not failure proof.

I personally would like you to know that i'm sorry about your losses (Dog & others)

try not to worry about the 'stuff' you lost, it IS only stuff after all. don't let the negatives bother you and don't worry, you'll feel better soon...

i recently got my Laptop back from repairs (like yesterday) and found out that they'd deleted all my files off of it (some of it meant something to me). but in the end i wasn't relly gonna benifit from the stuff so i jsut let it go and more impotantly i learned a lesson to copy my important files somewhere safe. i'm sorry we both had to learn the hard way :/

the laptop was HP Compaq (presario), just so you know they aren't that good, DVD drive broke first, then came the screen... fan also makes wierd noises, stay away from these laptops!

btw, @ all the wall of text comments, grow up people... i read the post just fine, this dude's seems genuinely sad, making fun isn't doing anyone a favor or helping at all. I hope you know that we're here for you buddy! (most of the mature members)

PS: my small bit of advice to you if you still want to play games is to get a PS3 slim since you already have quite a few games for the PS3, or you could always wait till next gen (that's what i'd do in your situation honestly) ;)