you know how scary was the next year thingy, but then I saw it was of 2009 lol

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
intro94 said:
contestgamer said:
Khuutra said:
contestgamer said:
Khuutra said:

The "budget" comment was the only part rlevant to my post so it's all I'm responding to.

You're wrong. Super Mario Galaxy was supposed to have cost as much to make as a low-tier HD blockbuster.

And you hope they odn't change the Zelda formula too much, bu you couldn' play through Twilight Princess, which had th formula unchanged from Ocarina of Time? THat makes no sense.

And that`s supposed to be what, big budget? Name me a Nintendo game with a 50+ million dolar budget? Hell we have games in the 60-110 million dollar budget range now, Nintendo isn't even close...

I wish there was a way for you to see how highly I have my left eyebrow raised. It is quite distinguished as far as such expressions go.

"A low-tier HD blockbuster" still costs quite a lot, just not the insane, company-detroying budgets that some developers dip their hands into. I think Galaxy was supposed to have cost 15 million to make, which is ass-over-end insane for a 480p game.

That's not insane at all... Remember a game called shenmue? 70 million dollar budget and it's ten years old.

Heck, MGS2 had a budget of 30 million back in 2001. GTA SA had a budget larger than that... 15 million is not a top tier budget. It's not a low budget but I'd put it somewhere in the middle of the two...The fact that it is Nintendo biggest budget game tells me that their average game is in the upper low/ lower medium budget range. Nintendo games are certainly not what I would classify among the top-tier high budget games.

"Naughty Dog boss Evan Wells said today that Uncharted 2: Among Thieves has the sort of budget most developers only dream of.

The first Uncharted cost $20 million. Wells isn’t about to be short-changed for the sequel, apparently."

Uncharted 2 was one of the most expensive recent HD productions from SONY and it came years after Galaxy. I dont think you could qualify fairly Galaxy at any sort of mid level.Is high and thats . And we can be sure Zelda is gonna be more expensive than Galaxy 1 was, its often a bigger, meaner game. Most HD devs dream of 20mil and certainly rarely hope of getting 15 mil. For SD consoles, is insane.

Most developers DREAM of a 20 million budget because it is LOW.

Like I said, 50+ million is a top-tier budget. We have had a number SD games last generation ranging from 30-70 milion in budget. 15 milion issn't a high budget. It's a mid level budget. It doesn't even come close to some of the biggest gaming budgets out there, SD or HD.

gosh you really push it. We had no "number" of 70 million budgets for a single game in SD. Only 1, for SEVERAL sequels of it.It also turned a financial DISASTER. It was the SINGLE most expensive to develop game ever back then and one of the most devastating finacial flops in history of gaming. Certainly, not the average example. The average example back there of top tier was 5millions. Then, MG, another example, single lone example. It was expensive ,sure, Konami used insane resources in an attempt to pull a Shenmue, investing as much as possible to push the tech as high and create a Wow factor to create massive sales. Fotunately they gambled less and it paid off. Again, saying a number when there was NO OTHER 30 mil gamble in the whole gen by any dev is missleading.Yes a number, technically...the number 2.

Dream of 20 million because its LOW?are you kidding? check the CONTEXT of the interview. The writing clearly considers it MAYOR.

http://play.tm/news/23252/major-budget-for-uncharted-sequel/

the name of the news is MAYOR BUDGET. Not average. Last year, for  a HD game, FOR THE educated expert, 20 millions was mayor, serious, big.

3 years ago, for a SD game, 15 million was mayor ,serious,big.

Picking the 3 or 4 biggest examples in gaming history doesnt really count as "usual top tier budget".Counts as extreme Historical events for 2 or 4 games every generation.

TO  CONCLUDE. A recent study ; i suggest you read it(and fully):

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-cost-as-high-as-28m

while  at glance it might appear as  much higher, if you see the reason ,is because of the development of 3 SKUS (PC-360-and PS3).

They state the AVERAGE ----HD--- EXCLUSIVE BUDGET IS 10 MIL(as of 2010).

15 Mil for SD NON MULTIPLAT was HUGE. Nintendo wouldnt have been able to spend more unless they PORTED to PS3.

20 MIl for HD NON multiplat ( Uncharted 2), was huge.Simple as that(as well).

I rest my case. If Zelda budget is of 20 mil(very likely) , is gonna be freaking huge for SD.

Khuutra said:

Go play LttP, you! It's better than whatever you're playing now!

Oh god YES. I recently replayed LttP in front of someone whose introduction to Zelda was OoT. They asked to borrow my Gamecube + TP, and after hearing their comments on the game, I insisted that they experience LttP, just to see how drunk on cinematics the Zelda Team has become.

I'm trying not to sound too Malstrom-y here, but I'll get around to posting in the thread you made about this very thing when I have some quality time to play through the games again, and explain just how bloated the formula has become recently.

Not that I don't enjoy recent games; I just want more people to experience what I have, y'know?

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Khuutra said:
Viper1 said:
It seems some of you have no idea what factors are involved in a video games budget.

Time x staff x average salary = budget.

If you take 4 years with 50 people with an average salary $70,000 you get a budget of $14,000,000. If your game, HD or SD takes 200 employees (avg salary the same) 5 years to make it will cost $70 million.

You also have to understand that many publicly announced budgets may include the marketing budget which can double or triple the total budget.

Then you have licensing costs for many titles that can tack on several million.

Some games count the time and money used to build the game engine...some games license a game engine or already have one built.

$30-70 million last generation were aberrations for games that should never be used as an indicator for what a video game budget should be. Those titles wasted away development years due to rebuilds and over-management.

You kind of cut it out from under me, but I was leading up to the point that Nintendo are probably just a lot more efficient with their resources than almost any other developer, and that budget is not a good indicator of content for Nintendo games.

That may be true but I wasn't arguing the content of Nintendo games in the first place. I was just saying that a 15 million budget is not anything incredible...It's somewhere in the middle, certainly nowhere near the budget of some games. Maybe they are more efficient, maybe not, I don't know. I was just debating the number itself.

Gnac said:
Khuutra said:

Oh god YES. I recently replayed LttP in front of someone whose introduction to Zelda was OoT. They asked to borrow my Gamecube + TP, and after hearing their comments on the game, I insisted that they experience LttP, just to see how drunk on cinematics the Zelda Team has become.

I'm trying not to sound too Malstrom-y here, but I'll get around to posting in the thread you made about this very thing when I have some quality time to play through the games again, and explain just how bloated the formula has become recently.

Not that I don't enjoy recent games; I just want more people to experience what I have, y'know?

Actually this is part of why I like Spirit Tracks so much

But you are right that is for another topic! Sorta!

(Soriku will never play LttP)

Around the Network
Gnac said:
Khuutra said:

I play games, mostly, for the storylines...And thus cinematics are the focal point of the experience to me, above and beyond the gameplay quality. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I can understand and see the flip side as well but I wouldn't say either way of judging games is better or worse than the other.

contestgamer said:
Gnac said:
Khuutra said:

I play games, mostly, for the storylines...And thus cinematics are the focal point of the experience to me, above and beyond the gameplay quality. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I can understand and see the flip side as well but I wouldn't say either way of judging games is better or worse than the other.

Fair comment (Khuutra too). I consider OoT to be the "middle ground" between LttP and TP in terms of narrative / production, though I feel that all of them lack the combination of things that would truly make the "ultimate" Zelda game, and I wonder if that's actually intentional. It would be so easy for Nintendo to make a mirrorworld as effectual as LttP, a future as moving as OoT, a world as immersive and beautiful as TP. If Nintendo were to do all this at once, they may as well give up trying to top it, so rather than try to create the BEST Zelda, they appear to be trying to create several really great ones. This ties in with my belief that there is no true timeline, just a legend, as told through a different chronicler.

Despite the negligable difficulty of TP, I enjoyed the experience immensely, and wanted more. I just feel that I was punished on replays by having to slog through the first part of the game. This is more of a pacing issue, and certainly the responsibility of the director, which is why I have confidence in Miyamoto's input. But as Khuutra mentioned above, this is something I should expand on in the appropriate topic. I just hope that the new Zelda is something I can enjoy as much as the other console iterations.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Sounds good to me, can't wait for this game. I know it will be great.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089