By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Four years later: Oblivion is still the best RPG this gen

radha said:
err , you missed on mass effec 1 and 2 go get those and see what a good RPG is

Mass effect and mass effect 2 are good games. But i wouldn't consider mass effect 2 a good rpg, just for the fact it's hardly an rpg. It's missing alot of elements that make up a rpg. The game needs to be put into the action/adventure catagory.

Around the Network
mikwow said:
I compeletely agree. i have not played many RPG's but this game is awesome. I started playing like 1 or 2 months ago, maybe i have put 50 hours in it so far and it's outstanding. First, I was doing the main quest but i found it boring so I decided to do the guilds quests and it is really good. There is really a lot of things to do, and this is what make the game so great. At the begining, I stopped playing because I lost my first character. I was in the plane of Oblivion and tried to swim through lava to reach an island. I died, so I tried again and I used my only healing potion. Then, I saved. I couldn't go back and was stuck there.

On the PC? You could use the console to cheat your way out.

Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Slimebeast said:

lol are u recommending Two Worlds?

I wouldnt recommend Gothic 3 either TBH. It's a very poor man's Oblivion.

And while it's not a bad game, I don't think The Witcher is at all darth's type of game.

And like u said, Mass Effect is Dragon Age in space.

But Star Wars is my favoritest thing on this planet {pretends to ignore Attack of the clones}

Hehe, how was that controversy again - which of the films did you adore so much (just because it was your first Star Wars lol).?

And u didnt like Attack of the clones?

Episode 1 was my FIRST one & I LOVED IT.....loved the HELL out of it. THe universe, Jedi the whole idea & everything seemed so fascinating at the time. But my dad who took me to the cinemas to see it HATED IT. He said the first Star Wars came out when he was my age & that was far better. So he showed me EPisode 4/5/6

I found Episode 4 pretty boring....but I can appreciate at the time it was revolutionary....but after seeing the Darth Maul Lightsaber battles & so on in EPisode 1.....Episode 4 seemed dull to me. Episode 5 I liked more than Episode 4 much much more it was epic. I liked EPisode 6 too.

but then Attack of the clones was disappointing I was SO hyped for it too.. But hey the best star wars film came after Attack Of The Clones (episode 3....which even veterans agree that its very good).

Episode 3 is to date my favorite film of all time, it had everything I wanted in it & will always be my most hyped PRODUCT/THING of all time.

Does your dog like Star Wars?

My dog absolutely loves Star Wars!

As far as I'm concerned, Episode 1-3 don't exist. The acting is terrible, the plot is stupid, it ruined the entire franchise. That being said, Episode 4-6 are the best Sci-Fi movies ever made (At least until an Ender's Game movie is made, as Ender's Game is the greatest book of all time).

blunty51 said:
Question(s): What did Oblivion do that wasn't done before?

And what exactly made Morrowind a better game?

These are genuine questions btw.

Oblivion didn't do anything too special as far as I can tell. It streamlined the fast travel system in games i guess, but it didn't do anything new.

Morrowind had a better, more detailed world. More interesting story. Better, more diverse items/equipment. More stats and skills (I think).

Also, Oblivion was incredibly generic. Morrowind's world is fucking weird compared to most fantasy worlds.

SmoothCriminal said:
Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Slimebeast said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Slimebeast said:

lol are u recommending Two Worlds?

I wouldnt recommend Gothic 3 either TBH. It's a very poor man's Oblivion.

And while it's not a bad game, I don't think The Witcher is at all darth's type of game.

And like u said, Mass Effect is Dragon Age in space.

But Star Wars is my favoritest thing on this planet {pretends to ignore Attack of the clones}

Hehe, how was that controversy again - which of the films did you adore so much (just because it was your first Star Wars lol).?

And u didnt like Attack of the clones?

Episode 1 was my FIRST one & I LOVED IT.....loved the HELL out of it. THe universe, Jedi the whole idea & everything seemed so fascinating at the time. But my dad who took me to the cinemas to see it HATED IT. He said the first Star Wars came out when he was my age & that was far better. So he showed me EPisode 4/5/6

I found Episode 4 pretty boring....but I can appreciate at the time it was revolutionary....but after seeing the Darth Maul Lightsaber battles & so on in EPisode 1.....Episode 4 seemed dull to me. Episode 5 I liked more than Episode 4 much much more it was epic. I liked EPisode 6 too.

but then Attack of the clones was disappointing I was SO hyped for it too.. But hey the best star wars film came after Attack Of The Clones (episode 3....which even veterans agree that its very good).

Episode 3 is to date my favorite film of all time, it had everything I wanted in it & will always be my most hyped PRODUCT/THING of all time.

Does your dog like Star Wars?

My dog absolutely loves Star Wars!

As far as I'm concerned, Episode 1-3 don't exist. The acting is terrible, the plot is stupid, it ruined the entire franchise. That being said, Episode 4-6 are the best Sci-Fi movies ever made (At least until an Ender's Game movie is made, as Ender's Game is the greatest book of all time).

you think Ender's game is the best sci-fi book of all time? I enjoyed Enders shadow more to be honest, I just found it to be better written that could be because I read it first tho. But I liked the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, use of weapons and Dune more than both enders books.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

i think its deffo one of best rpg this gen will be tough to beat.

the land is so expansive and vast, its a worthy title to have in collection.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

i agree with the best wrpg this gen by a huge margain, not rpg that goes to lost odyssey for me.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Rath said:
blunty51 said:

Can't think of much Oblivion did that wasn't done before.

Morrowind was more focused (smaller game area with just as many points of interest basically) had a more interesting game world (almost everything in Oblivion seemed either to be a generic hell or a generic ruin, Morrowind had quite a nice variation of places/dungeons) had more interesting characters (hermaphroditic warrior poet false god =D much better than long lost emperors heir) and a better plot (which I'm not going to spoil).

All in my opinion of course.

Well i also happen to think (if this is what u implied) that oblivion had more large expanses of nothingness that weren't necessary to add anything to the gameplay (other than feeling like you're in sheer vastness). Well that among other things. I've haven't played anything like oblivion before so i'd regard it highly. But i have this thing where i find it hard to play older games i never played before.

So even the voices and depth of levelling was better in morrowind? I mean, oblivion had a lot of shit!! And i don't mean that in the bad way. It's hard to think the 4 years between the games didn't yield a result other overworld expansion d'you know what i mean?

SmoothCriminal said:
blunty51 said:

Oblivion didn't do anything too special as far as I can tell. It streamlined the fast travel system in games i guess, but it didn't do anything new.

Morrowind had a better, more detailed world. More interesting story. Better, more diverse items/equipment. More stats and skills (I think).

Also, Oblivion was incredibly generic. Morrowind's world is fucking weird compared to most fantasy worlds.

So would it be true to say that the only thing that really improved in oblivion was the size of the world?

Not really considering Daggerfall is bigger then Oblivion and since you can fast travel in Oblivion personally it felt smaller then Morrowind to me. Not sure which is actually bigger in scale though, objectively speaking.