By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Official Guild Wars 2 thread *** First non-NDA beta is live! Impressions inside

Tagged games:

Thief class!? I didn't expect that.

*watches videos*

Around the Network

When is this damn game coming out!?!?! I want it now.

I'm now thinking of playing Thief, I like the idea of highly mobile combat. At least, it's between Thief and Elementalist now.

Slimebeast said:

Okay that's definately hardcore.

Well Im asking because MMOs are such an investment and often associated with lots of frustration. You have to dedicate a lot.  Time and energy. 

Myself I played DAOC in 2003-2004 and I put too much from my life into that game. I like MMOs but they frustrate me because you have to be competitive or else you will feel inferior. And in order to be comptetivie u have to spend lots of time. Which I dont have anymore.

Still I nurture this naive idea that I will invest in an MMO one day (Elder Scrolls Online, YAY!). But im always thinkng, will i take a casual apporach or will I invest heavily and be in a good guild? Does the game demand that I use voice chat to be effective? Etc

So r u gonna play with voice chat?

I'll play with voice chat if I have someone I want to talk to when I play.

But yeah, I plan on spending a lot of time with GW2, hopefully getting sucked in hardcore style. I'm just going to sacrifice other spare time activities to do it. I think I'll spend most of my time exploring the universe though, collecting loot and stuff. It all sounds good though.

@ r505Matt

I'm still more sold on the ranger right now I think, though the thief does look really cool. I really liked assassins in GW and thieves have way of what them cool then rangers have.

After norn week, I'm completely sold on playing as a norn though. @_@

Rainbird said:
Slimebeast said:

Okay that's definately hardcore.

Well Im asking because MMOs are such an investment and often associated with lots of frustration. You have to dedicate a lot.  Time and energy. 

Myself I played DAOC in 2003-2004 and I put too much from my life into that game. I like MMOs but they frustrate me because you have to be competitive or else you will feel inferior. And in order to be comptetivie u have to spend lots of time. Which I dont have anymore.

Still I nurture this naive idea that I will invest in an MMO one day (Elder Scrolls Online, YAY!). But im always thinkng, will i take a casual apporach or will I invest heavily and be in a good guild? Does the game demand that I use voice chat to be effective? Etc

So r u gonna play with voice chat?

I'll play with voice chat if I have someone I want to talk to when I play.

But yeah, I plan on spending a lot of time with GW2, hopefully getting sucked in hardcore style. I'm just going to sacrifice other spare time activities to do it. I think I'll spend most of my time exploring the universe though, collecting loot and stuff. It all sounds good though.

@ r505Matt

I'm still more sold on the ranger right now I think, though the thief does look really cool. I really liked assassins in GW and thieves have way of what them cool then rangers have.

Psh Norn, my main will either be Human or Sylvari, and that only really depends on possible racial bonuses. I'll probably play GW2 a minimum of 4 hours a day; I'm planning on going for whatever achievements/titles I can from the get-go. So I will do EVERYTHING the game lets me.

I've had enough of Ranger-style gameplay for now with GW1. I'll probably make a Ranger in the future as an alt, but definitely not my main. It's very likely I'll at least make an alt though, since I got all those nice pets through the HoM points.

So yeah, Human/Sylvari Thief or Human/Sylvari/Asura Elemenatlist. Those are my options right now until more class/race info is shared.

r505Matt said:
Rainbird said:

@ r505Matt

Psh Norn, my main will either be Human or Sylvari, and that only really depends on possible racial bonuses. I'll probably play GW2 a minimum of 4 hours a day; I'm planning on going for whatever achievements/titles I can from the get-go. So I will do EVERYTHING the game lets me.

I've had enough of Ranger-style gameplay for now with GW1. I'll probably make a Ranger in the future as an alt, but definitely not my main. It's very likely I'll at least make an alt though, since I got all those nice pets through the HoM points.

So yeah, Human/Sylvari Thief or Human/Sylvari/Asura Elemenatlist. Those are my options right now until more class/race info is shared.

I think it's too early for me to decide on race yet, we know too little about the charr, sylvari and asura yet. But after norn week, I'll definitely be playing as norn before I play as a human. And I really liked the ranger in the first game, and it seems like it's been jazzed up considerably for GW2, so I'm psyched to try it out again.

Around the Network

Woot! ArenaNet have said that they're going to be showing not only the thief at PAX East next week, but also the crafting and attribute systems.

And they gave us a nice (if slightly redundant) thief teaser.

Even more details on what to expect this week, looking great!

Alright, here are the first news of the week. The attribute system has been detailed, plus with some info on the iterative process ArenaNet go through in development. It's certainly looking good.

http://www.arena.net/blog/pax-east-preview-izzy-on-attributes-and-iteration

Interesting, but I'm curious about something. The way they talk about attributes, it seems like you might get points per level to allocate. And there's also an implication that you can't respec (at least not for free?). Maybe going the WoW route of paying in-game money to respec? Or have they addressed this specifically before?

r505Matt said:

Interesting, but I'm curious about something. The way they talk about attributes, it seems like you might get points per level to allocate. And there's also an implication that you can't respec (at least not for free?). Maybe going the WoW route of paying in-game money to respec? Or have they addressed this specifically before?

From some of their earlier posts, I got the impression that you'd be able to respec at any point, but that might not be true for attributes of course. Not to mention that it could have changed over and over since then.