By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
epicurean said:
Why do people keep saying Amazon has them in stock? Can they not read?

Sure, amazon can link you to ANOTHER seller, where you will pay 70 dollars extra and can get one in a few weeks....are people really trying to use this to prove their point?

I'm sure ioi has his methods, I just wish we knew why he thought there were plenty of PS3's when every major online retailers says otherwise. I would think at least it could be said that they were "strained."

Whether or not it actually affects sales, I have no idea. If I really wanted a 2nd PS3, I know of one store that has them (Nebraska Furniture Mart), however I also know that within the last week my local Gamestop, WalMart, and BestBuy's were sold out, and that it appears I can't get one online without paying more than MSRP and waiting a few weeks. I just don't understand how this cannot be considered supply constrained. Not doubting ioi, would just like to know how he comes to his conclusions...

What's sad is people can't accept that there may just be a shortage, even with so many things pointing towards that there are.  Just a quick check online will show that Amazon and Best Buy are out, and say it may be a month till they get more.  And other large retail chains, Wal-mart, Target, and Gamespot, are out of normal 120 GB Sku's.  You can only purchase them in bundles, most being over priced.  Also, most sites are limiting the amount of units a household can purchase.  And these aren't bottom-rung retailers, either.  These are the largest here int he US.  If that doesn't point to a shortage in the US, I don't know what does.  Something tells me if the shoe was on the other foot, these people would be arguing that the 360 had shortages.  Of course, I wouldn't be arguing with them, since if they actually provided the same proof. I would concede.  But since it isn't dealing with their system of choice, they not only won't accept therre may be shortages, but also can't provide hard evidence to back their claims that there are plenty in stores.

And again, I'm sure ioi does the best with what resources he has.  But, no one can know the exact situation for every region.  There are also 250 GB models in stock, but that's not the model/price that buyers want.

Around the Network
hollywood85 said:
slowmo said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
slowmo said:
XxXProphecyXxX said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
slowmo said:
jneul said:

oh look at how fast the people on the ps3 is teh DOOMED bandwagon, hopefully Sony sort out these shortages, as for PS3 being over tracked, in your dreams, if anything it is under tracked and there are shortages in the US, never mind Japan will sort this out x360 to be outsold this week by at least 20k

When will the PS3 not be in shortage?  The day it perhaps outsells the 360 again?  There is hardly anyone saying the PS3 is doomed but an awful lot of Sony fans running daage control on what are frankly bad numbers given the huge momentum Sony had going into the holiday period.

oh my god.  it was having shortages when it was on top of 360, too.  and this when the heavy discount pricing of 360 has been in effect, on and off, for a month or more now.

hey, by bad numbers do you mean the ones showing ps3 in the lead WW?  even with said discounts for 360 in the US as stated above?

Don't worry he'll realize sooner or later how calling ps3 sales bad just made teh 360 look worst LOL!

Rather immature guys but say what you like, you're only painting yourselves in a bad light. 

I didn't mention whether 360 sales are good or bad I can only assume you seem to think that by telling me they are in somehow bad you would wind me up.  It still doesn't change the simple fact that the PS3 sales in the US are terrible given the circumstances.  360 sales are bad everywhere except the US and UK imo, but thats hardly relevant to a US hardware sales trhead now is it?

PS3 sales in the US are terrible?  There are no bundles or PS3 price cuts, as there are with 360, and there have been PS3 stock shortages on and off, and most importantly PS3 sales have been fairly close to 360 sales in the US for a while now.  Sometimes even on top.  Yet you are saying the difference is so great that PS3 sales are "terrible" and 360 sales are good?

Considering the prices and offerings of the consoles, PS3 sales are not terrible and 360 sales are not that good, as you claim.  You are just injecting your own values into the discussion, and it really only has had a chance of resonating this past week.  PS3/360 sales overall aren't great right now, but if you insist I only say that in the WW thread, because 360 sales are "good" in the Americas, I'll make sure to repeat it there.  I know I know, in this thead we can only look at the Americas column and lol that the PS3 has lost its momentum, this past week only, when it'll handily outsell 360 WW.  Makes sense, man. 

Hey, when PS3 "had momentum", how often did it outsell 360 in the Americas?

EDIT: and note that in the Others thread, where PS3 beat 360 by more than 360 beat PS3 in the US, there are fewer people trolling 360, less repeatedly.  It's probably because PS3 does that regularly over there while Americas has typically been a relatively closer race until this week.

Just to highlight some logic for you:

"sales are bad everywhere except US and UK" does not equal "360 sales are amazing in those territories"

If you think that the PS3 numbers are good after all Sony did last year, then frankly we have nothing more to discuss.  If the 360 had cut down to $149 and was performing in the same way I'd call it a disappointment like it is.

lol typical, completely ignoring the FACT that "ALL" that Sony did last year was in the last 4 months as the ps3 was getting destroyed in sales until the slim launch in september..........

and last time I checked the ps3 has outperformed last year by a margin...

The PSP could outperform the PS3's 2009 sales with a price cut, it really isn't that hard to be up YOY on what were very poor figures. 

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
slowmo said:

Just to highlight some logic for you:

"sales are bad everywhere except US and UK" does not equal "360 sales are amazing in those territories"

If you think that the PS3 numbers are good after all Sony did last year, then frankly we have nothing more to discuss.  If the 360 had cut down to $149 and was performing in the same way I'd call it a disappointment like it is.

I never said you said 'amazing'.  I did equate you saying "not bad in US" with "good in US".  If you meant something different, I want you to say how much less than good 360 is doing in the US.  Otherwise my equating one with the other was appropriate.

I don't think PS3 numbers *this week,* which you are jumping all over, are particularly good.  But what YOU said is that they are TERRIBLE.  Here's some logic for you: just because I reject that PS3 sales are terrible (especially in weeks before this one, and especially WW), doesn't mean I think this week's US numbers are particularly good for PS3.  They're not terrible, even though -- yes -- even though PS3 had a price cut last year that really spurred sales.  If PS3 is terrible, 360 worldwide must be really terrible.  But then again we know the time of year has a lot to do with sales figures. If we're thinking straight.

The 360 figures in Japan are disasterous which is a big part of the world wide discrepency, I'm not asking you take Japan out of the equation just to accept that it is the reason the figures WW look bad.  The 360 has had a price hike on the RRP for the Arcade in Europe last year making it actually more expensive so the figures right now reflect the reduced demand at the pricing Mirosoft set.  It has been over 18 months since the 360 had a price cut (on the point of entry model), the figures its showing are expected given those circumstances. 

Now in the US we have Sony less than 8 months after their price cut being outsold by a console that hasn't had a true price cut for 18 months.  The fact the 360 is ahead of the PS3 isn't that impressive as much as the fact it is up YoY too.  The PS3 is trailing below its 2 competitors, has just had 4 major exclusives released, is less than 8 months since it went down in price by 25% and updated its form factor.  Looking at those facts to be trailing the 36 is terrible.  Any analysis of performance should be taken into context of the product, the PS3 is a better console (hardware wise at least), it should be performing a lot better than it is and hence the sales are terrible. 

360 costs 199/299 (299 is bundled with 2 of the biggest recent games), with the Arcade on sale very commonly nowadays for 169.  Meanwhile PS3 at 299 IS out of stock off and on at retailers lately.  All this -- mostly price cutting and bundling for 360 -- accounts for why 360 is up YoY and above PS3 still.  In the US only.  PS3 is getting beat in the US, but beating 360 more in Others; doesn't seem a reason to call it terrible.  You may say so but then 360 in others is more terrible. 

Japan is not required to say that 360 is doing pretty bad overall.  360 is being outsold in just the US and Others combined, by the (quite a bit) more expensive PS3.  But anyway, note I didn't enter the Others or WW thread and say that.  I'm just counterspinning your spin in this thread.

You keep referring to price changes and what context they give current sales numbers, but what's more significant is still the current relative price of the consoles, one vs another.  I agree that PS3 is better hardware and worth a premium, but looking at the price differences...  Damn.  PS3 is doing just fine, as opposed to stomping ass as in the last few months.  This past week was quite a drop for PS3, but that's partly seasonal and just underscores how great PS3 has sold since the price drop.  And those great sales make current PS3 sales 'terrible' in comparison, gotcha.  For one week in one region.  That's pretty selective sniping, and you've gotta be selective, given the Others and WW numbers.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

360 costs 199/299 (299 is bundled with 2 of the biggest recent games), with the Arcade on sale very commonly nowadays for 169.  Meanwhile PS3 at 299 IS out of stock off and on at retailers lately.  All this -- mostly price cutting and bundling for 360 -- accounts for why 360 is up YoY and above PS3 still.  In the US only.  PS3 is getting beat in the US, but beating 360 more in Others; doesn't seem a reason to call it terrible.  You may say so but then 360 in others is more terrible. 

Japan is not required to say that 360 is doing pretty bad overall.  360 is being outsold in just the US and Others combined, by the (quite a bit) more expensive PS3.  But anyway, note I didn't enter the Others or WW thread and say that.  I'm just counterspinning your spin in this thread.

You keep referring to price changes and what context they give current sales numbers, but what's more significant is still the current relative price of the consoles, one vs another.  I agree that PS3 is better hardware and worth a premium, but looking at the price differences...  Damn.  PS3 is doing just fine, as opposed to stomping ass as in the last few months.  This past week was quite a drop for PS3, but that's partly seasonal and just underscores how great PS3 has sold since the price drop.  And those great sales make current PS3 sales 'terrible' in comparison, gotcha.  For one week in one region.  That's pretty selective sniping, and you've gotta be selective, given the Others and WW numbers.

Pot, kettle, black.

Sorry I'm dizzy reading your posts.  The US PS3 numbers are still terrible regardless of any argument you put forward, shortages argument is garbage now but carry on in denial.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
epicurean said:
Why do people keep saying Amazon has them in stock? Can they not read?

Sure, amazon can link you to ANOTHER seller, where you will pay 70 dollars extra and can get one in a few weeks....are people really trying to use this to prove their point?

I'm sure ioi has his methods, I just wish we knew why he thought there were plenty of PS3's when every major online retailers says otherwise. I would think at least it could be said that they were "strained."

Whether or not it actually affects sales, I have no idea. If I really wanted a 2nd PS3, I know of one store that has them (Nebraska Furniture Mart), however I also know that within the last week my local Gamestop, WalMart, and BestBuy's were sold out, and that it appears I can't get one online without paying more than MSRP and waiting a few weeks. I just don't understand how this cannot be considered supply constrained. Not doubting ioi, would just like to know how he comes to his conclusions...

What's sad is people can't accept that there may just be a shortage, even with so many things pointing towards that there are.  Just a quick check online will show that Amazon and Best Buy are out, and say it may be a month till they get more.  And other large retail chains, Wal-mart, Target, and Gamespot, are out of normal 120 GB Sku's.  You can only purchase them in bundles, most being over priced.  Also, most sites are limiting the amount of units a household can purchase.  And these aren't bottom-rung retailers, either.  These are the largest here int he US.  If that doesn't point to a shortage in the US, I don't know what does.  Something tells me if the shoe was on the other foot, these people would be arguing that the 360 had shortages.  Of course, I wouldn't be arguing with them, since if they actually provided the same proof. I would concede.  But since it isn't dealing with their system of choice, they not only won't accept therre may be shortages, but also can't provide hard evidence to back their claims that there are plenty in stores.

And again, I'm sure ioi does the best with what resources he has.  But, no one can know the exact situation for every region.  There are also 250 GB models in stock, but that's not the model/price that buyers want.

Exactly.  I actually don't even care if its affecting sales or not, perhaps its not.  It's just kind of annoying to hear people say without a doubt that there are no PS3 shortages, and anyone saying there is has an agenda.  I've actually been thinking about getting a 2nd PS3 (I know it sounds wierd, but I have reasons...), so I always tempt myself by looking to see if stores have them around the area.  And I've found 1 (ONE!) that does, and 6 or 7 that didn't.  I know, its a small area, but couple that with the online situation....I just don't see how people can say there ISN'T at least a strain.  Why would Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Gamestop not be selling them if they had plenty and there was no shortage?  Because that's exactly what's happening.  I'm not calling ioi a liar at all, I'm sure he's going with exactly what his sources are telling him, I'd just like to know how he comes up with his statement.  There's a very good chance that the two facts mesh somehow...

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

slowmo said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Pot, kettle, black.

Sorry I'm dizzy reading your posts.  The US PS3 numbers are still terrible regardless of any argument you put forward, shortages argument is garbage now but carry on in denial.

Please tell me how a shortage argument is garbage.  Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop are all sold out online.  Ready...GO!

epicurean said:
slowmo said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Pot, kettle, black.

Please tell me how a shortage argument is garbage.  Amazon, Best Buy, and Gamestop are all sold out online.  Ready...GO!

I actually gave these guys saying it the benefit of the doubt. So i asked my work collegue in NY to look at the stock of consoles when he went to buy his Avatar blu-ray. He said to me they all had around the same number on the shelves.

Now what is sad is this whole argument get's changed to suit some people. For example a few months ago the PS3 had a shortage because when you tried to get them in store there were few available. But you could get them online. It was argued that because you can get them online it wasen't really a shortage. But either way people accepted that it could be supply restraint. Now it is like the roles have reversed. The stores have them in abundence. But a few places online seem to be out of stock and all of a sudden those same people are back out saying there are shortages. You can't have it both way's and i think that is why people are not believing you. If you can see the stock in the stores then how can it be supply restraint?

The whole definition of those words get's changed all the time to suit certain peoples views. Normally pro Sony views. The reality is if you want a PS3, you will easily be able to find one.  Even online you can find them at the places sold out, it just seems some of these websites need updating. For example Target, it say's they are out of stock online for the 120gb PS3 right? But if you look at the 120gb PS3 with an extra controller, all of a sudden it is back in stock! http://www.target.com/PS3-120-Console-Dualshock-controllers/dp/B0038LAG52/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

It is this point which i tried to make before. If someone is after a PS3 they will find one. You guy's are trying to paint a picture of tens of thousands of people not being able to find a PS3. Which is just false. As others have tried to explain to you. If you believe this website and it's figures then you will believe the people who have the contacts to get the data. If they tell you that they were told there were no supply issues then that means you have to accept it. If not then your basically saying you don't believe these numbers.

Hyruken said:
epicurean said:
slowmo said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

Pot, kettle, black.

I actually gave these guys saying it the benefit of the doubt. So i asked my work collegue in NY to look at the stock of consoles when he went to buy his Avatar blu-ray. He said to me they all had around the same number on the shelves.

Now what is sad is this whole argument get's changed to suit some people. For example a few months ago the PS3 had a shortage because when you tried to get them in store there were few available. But you could get them online. It was argued that because you can get them online it wasen't really a shortage. But either way people accepted that it could be supply restraint. Now it is like the roles have reversed. The stores have them in abundence. But a few places online seem to be out of stock and all of a sudden those same people are back out saying there are shortages. You can't have it both way's and i think that is why people are not believing you. If you can see the stock in the stores then how can it be supply restraint?

The whole definition of those words get's changed all the time to suit certain peoples views. Normally pro Sony views. The reality is if you want a PS3, you will easily be able to find one.  Even online you can find them at the places sold out, it just seems some of these websites need updating. For example Target, it say's they are out of stock online for the 120gb PS3 right? But if you look at the 120gb PS3 with an extra controller, all of a sudden it is back in stock! http://www.target.com/PS3-120-Console-Dualshock-controllers/dp/B0038LAG52/ref=sc_qi_detaillink

It is this point which i tried to make before. If someone is after a PS3 they will find one. You guy's are trying to paint a picture of tens of thousands of people not being able to find a PS3. Which is just false. As others have tried to explain to you. If you believe this website and it's figures then you will believe the people who have the contacts to get the data. If they tell you that they were told there were no supply issues then that means you have to accept it. If not then your basically saying you don't believe these numbers.

I honestly don't care about the sales figures.  I don't think there are tens of thousands of people who want PS3's that cant get one.  You are right, if you really want one, you can get one (though you may have to pay more/get more than you want).  All I know is, here in Omaha, NE, it's been out of stock at the 3 Best Buy's I've checked, at my local Gamestop, and at my local Wal-mart (now, there are proabably 10 Gamestops and 10 walmarts in the omaha area, and I have not checked them all).  So, lets just say I wanted a PS3...I check Best Buy...out, I check gamestop...out, I check walmart...out.  Then I check online and see them out at amazon, bestbuy, and gamestop (unless I want referbs or to pay more).  How am I to believe they are not at least SOMEWHAT supply strained?  Now, I did see they had plenty at Nebraska Furniture Mart, so I do know I can get one.  So like you said, if someone wants one, they can get one (if they look hard enough).  I have no arguement there, or that its even affecting sales in any meaningful way.  What I am saying is there is DEFINETLY a short supply, and to say they are in ready supply is a gross exaturation.  I guess I just don't understand how people can say there is not a short supply when they are out of stock at the major retailer outlets...

slowmo said:

You have been misapprehending what others mean when they bring up 360 sales elsewhere.  It's not to dig at you or at 360 (if we wanted to do that we'd go troll 360 in Others or WW), but it is to say about the PS3 US numbers: the gap b/t 360 and PS3 isn't all that big, it's not a "terrible" situation especially when considering weeks prior to this one, and you are trolling PS3.

Shortages have been on and off, including over the past weeks/months when PS3 has been outselling the bundled and often-discounted 360.

@Hyruken: your argument against there being any shortages is that there is a retailer-created bundle in stock somewhere?  That's what happens during shortages: you can't find the console on its own very easily, and retailers allocate what systems they do have into bundles with other items where they can make more of a profit from each sale.