By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What game(s) this gen literally "shocked" you?

- Metal Gear Solid 4
- Uncharted 1+2
- Heavy Rain
- God of War 3
- Gears of War 1+2
- Final Fantasy XIII

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network

Metroid Prime 3; it was my first Metroid Prime.
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune; the visuals, story and characters.

I think thats about it.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

can't wait for next The Elder Scrolls game....
the graphics must be pretty amazing now since Oblivion
looked ahead of its time when it was released back in 2006 xD

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Both Uncharted games, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, and Resistance.

CGI-Quality said:

What I mean is, what game/games really made you go: "Oh My God, it's brilliant, better than I could have expected". Be it for the graphics, game play, sound, story etc...., etc.....

My choices...

Oblivion was the most immersive RPG I had played up till that point, and besides HEAVY RAIN, is my most immersive experience to date. It's still my top RPG of all time and one of my top games of all time, not to mention the "shock" factor came from the content and fun factor. I never expected to enjoy it that much.

Amen to that! Despite being a big Bethesda fan already and loving Morrowind, I was completely blown away by Oblivion.

Around the Network

god of war 3, uncharted 2, mass effect, modern warfare.

my top 5 right now. 1. uncharted 2 2. assassin's creed 2 3. god of war 3 4. final fantasy xiii 5. blue dragon: awakened shadow.

demons souls and braid are absolutely brilliant, they are instant classics and will go down in history as masterpieces , many developers will try to replicate but none will captivate like the originals

Not to many on the shock factor but I'll list a few:

Super Mario Galaxy- still the most stunning game I've played this generation. The atmosphere, the gameplay, the levels, and the feel of the game was one of the most sensation things this generation and a lovely experience. Was shocking due to the feel you get from playing the game, which is unlike any other.

The Orange Box- this was my first time playing Half-Life 2 and I was shocked at how wonderful of a first person shooter it was. Actually I can rephrase that to mean that other than a few select titles, I hadn't played any first person shooters until this one. After all the repetitive, silly, and misguided shooters I had played, this refreshing story-driven experience was simply amazing. And portal didn't hurt either haha.

No More Heroes- although I know a lot of people think this one is overrated, this one was shocking to me at just the kind of experience I got. Maybe not unique to others but the overall punk themes and story was just so wonderfully crafted. And the sequel was no slack on that matter either.

Assassin's Creed- however I don't think there is any other title this generation that shocked me the most. Shocking due to not expecting it to be good, not expecting the story, and sure as hell not expecting the environment and characters I got. To me it was just eye-opening and I guess my title that showed what the HD consoles could do. And that meant a lot because up til now, there are still very few that show that to me. Kudos to Ubisoft there.

InFamous?

Oblvion, BioShock, and Zack and Wiki