By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No More Heroes on HD consoles has pretty good first week in Japan

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Arius Dion said:
Galaki said:
NMH bombed no matter which platform. Are people seriously trying to spin this into a success?

LoL. Yes, apparently.

Funny, that's exactly what you Nintendo fans do for every 3rd party Wii game.

after u ps3 fans bitch and moan about teh cazualz ruining gaming

Around the Network
scottie said:
Kasz216 said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
Galaki said:
The Wii was at 70M world wide way back 2 years ago.

of course not, but the fact remains the Wii still had a much larger install base than either the PS3 or 360 2 years ago, so OP comment still remains true even if it could have been worded better.

At the end of the day, each console targets a certain demographic, the Wii it's Casuals >> core, and the HD twins it's CORE >> casuals, it's just how things are this generation.

Actually the PS3 has a bigger userbase now then the Wii did when NMH released.

Almost twice as high infact!

However, I don't think people are really reading what we say :P

It's irrelvent anyway... functionally speaking... the numbers could be anywhere with sales this low.  I mean if you ever notice with VGchartz... the numbers that end up always needing to be adjusted are the smaller numbers.  For a comparison... Dengaki has No More Heroes 360 at like.... 7,000.

Smaller numberse means higher percentage of error... or rather higher percentage for higher percentage of error.  It could be smaller, the other way or greater. 

The Ghost of RubangB said:
This is the 4th No More Heroes release (worldwide anyway). We've had the original, the 2-in-1 double pack with Red Steel, the sequel, and now the HD remake. The original had no hype and no advertising, and flopped in Japan, then went on to be a mild indie success in the west (almost half a million sales so far). After 2 years and 4 months of fans on the internet talking about how awesome it is, this 4th No More Heroes release also flopped in Japan, on a BIGGER userbase than the Wii had in 2007. So now that it's an established franchise, this is probably a bigger flop.

For the Wii version, the Japanese sales were only 8.333% of the worldwide sales. This HD remake doesn't even have a publisher for western release, because Ubisoft doesn't support it, and neither does Suda51 or Grasshopper. This remake was Marvelous's idea, and they had it ported by feelplus. Marvelous needs money really bad, and I highly doubt they're celebrating after these launch numbers.

If anything, we should all be worried about the sales being this low. Now we have to hope a publisher sees this and thinks, "Oh hell yeah, 14K sales? I will gladly pay to bring this game to America!" It's a great game and a great franchise and it should sell more on every platform. But if you want to support the people who made the game, Grasshopper, buy the Wii version. If you want the controls the game was designed for, buy the Wii version. If you honestly don't care about the controls, turn in your gamer card. And if you want some extra loading times, and extra pixels on Travis's abs, because that's what makes games more enjoyable for you, buy the 360 version (because the PS3 version is censored).

This whole "casual userbase" mumbo jumbo has got to stop. Great games can flop on any userbase. The PS2 is supposedly a magical console with the perfect userbase, the most casuals and the most hardcore, the most diverse library of all time... and yet Psychonauts bombed so hard Majesco's CEO resigned and the company almost died, and Okami bombed so hard that Capcom shut down Clover. Luckily Majesco had a comeback with Cooking Mama on the DS and Wii, and Clover (reborn as Platinum) had a comeback with MadWorld on the Wii.

However, that's not the only way to look at the sales of those two titles on PS2.

For Psychonauts it was mainly considered to be an original xbox title and people that would buy it on PS2 would know they weren't going to get the best version of the game on PS2, so unless they also had an original xbox console, they probably weren't going to buy it. And it was an american made platformer, a strange enough beast and hard to guage it's sales at any time, at a time when platformers really weren't that popular.

And for Okami, it was coming out at a point in the PS2's lifetime when most people were already looking towards the next gen and the only PS2 games people were looking forward to were FFXII and God of War 2. Okami might have faired better in 2001-2003 when there was a level of excitement about new ips on the PS2.

mushroomboy5 said:
Makes sense to me...the first chance many PS3 and 360 owners have had to play a Wii game so naturally they'd jump at the opportunity!!!

I would say it has more to do with the type of game it is than with it being a Wii game. 360 and PS3 gamers would seem to have more of an affinity for cinematic and violent sandbox games with cute chicks and a cool type story in them than most Wii gamers imo. At least, I think there have been more games like that in certain respects that have already done well on PS3 and 360 than on Wii.

scottie said:
Kasz216 said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
Galaki said:

of course not, but the fact remains the Wii still had a much larger install base than either the PS3 or 360 2 years ago, so OP comment still remains true even if it could have been worded better.

At the end of the day, each console targets a certain demographic, the Wii it's Casuals >> core, and the HD twins it's CORE >> casuals, it's just how things are this generation.

The 360 version did better too, with a userbase of just over a million. How do you explain that?

Around the Network

why you bringing madworld into this pugssly thats a completly diffrent game and now sega are saying without the wii they wouldnt be as rich thanks to house of the dead ,sonic and probably even madworld

im happy all 3 versions opened similarly which means suda can get more cash for greater games but i think the ps3,360 versions will have no legs

--OkeyDokey-- said:
scottie said:
Kasz216 said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
Galaki said:

The 360 version did better too, with a userbase of just over a million. How do you explain that?

1)  Not all trackers had it doing better. One had it doing 7K

2)  Numbers that low are pretty hard to accuratly track. Hence the fact that one tracker has it at double the sales of another.

3)  Even if it did sell the same... it wouldn't paint a very good picture for the PS3 either would it?  What with the userbase difference.

4) The 360 is generally the more Western console of the 3.  (what being american) It tends to outperform relative to userbase on pretty much any western game.  Usually it's 2 to 1 with the PS3 version despite the userbase difference being higher.  (kinda like the 14K to 7K report.)

Take your pick... they're all true.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
scottie said:
Kasz216 said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
Galaki said:

That obviously means that PS3 owners are much more casual than 360 ones, right? I mean, with just 1/5 the userbase and it did roughly the same.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
scottie said:
Kasz216 said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
Galaki said:

The PS3 version is censored, just like the original was in Japan.  The 360 version is uncensored, like the original was in North America.  The whole point of the game is overdoing violence in a really comical way to make fun of modern games.  Taking the blood out ruins it.  It's like taking all the blood out of a Monty Python sketch.  Anyway, this is a really nerdy game with a very small but hardcore following.  They all know to get the uncensored version.

Both GAMES bombed badly.

But why did it take 2 years for Nintendo fans to say it?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)