By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How soon would you expect to see a 360 price cut?

dunno001 said:
johnappseed84 said:

So, do you think we will see a price cut for 360 in the near future to make it's price seem more reasonable when you realize you're not getting quite a lot out of the box in comparison to the other consoles? I could see myself not feeling bad about buying a 360 at $200.00 with a 60 gig harddrive, the three year extended warranty, and the ability to get a year of xbla gold and $50.00 worth of gamer points for the price of a PS3.

I've bolded the big difference and problem with your reasoning. That $300 would get you lots (or at least a few) downloadable games and a year of online play with them. Or that $300 gets you a PS3... with online, sure, but nothing to play on it. You're going to need to spend more money to get a game, whether it be $50 for again, more DLable games, or $60 for a new retail release. Of course, this same could be spent to further grow your 360 library, too... so it really comes down to which system just has more that you want, looking at games and features.

Oh yeah, original topic. I'd say around Natal's release. The lower price will help clear out the older non-Natal units, allowing Microsoft to have Natal bundled with most systems for the holidays.

My reasoning on this is that you get a blu-ray player with your purchase of a PS3 for $300.00 and you don't get a blu-ray player with an Elite for $300.00. Therefore being able to have a 360 with a 60 gb harddrive, a free year of Live, and $50.00 of downloadable games for $300.00 would be equivalent to what the PS3 gives you for $300.00.

Around the Network
johnappseed84 said:
dunno001 said:
johnappseed84 said:

So, do you think we will see a price cut for 360 in the near future to make it's price seem more reasonable when you realize you're not getting quite a lot out of the box in comparison to the other consoles? I could see myself not feeling bad about buying a 360 at $200.00 with a 60 gig harddrive, the three year extended warranty, and the ability to get a year of xbla gold and $50.00 worth of gamer points for the price of a PS3.

I've bolded the big difference and problem with your reasoning. That $300 would get you lots (or at least a few) downloadable games and a year of online play with them. Or that $300 gets you a PS3... with online, sure, but nothing to play on it. You're going to need to spend more money to get a game, whether it be $50 for again, more DLable games, or $60 for a new retail release. Of course, this same could be spent to further grow your 360 library, too... so it really comes down to which system just has more that you want, looking at games and features.

Oh yeah, original topic. I'd say around Natal's release. The lower price will help clear out the older non-Natal units, allowing Microsoft to have Natal bundled with most systems for the holidays.

My reasoning on this is that you get a blu-ray player with your purchase of a PS3 for $300.00 and you don't get a blu-ray player with an Elite for $300.00. Therefore being able to have a 360 with a 60 gb harddrive, a free year of Live, and $50.00 of downloadable games for $300.00 would be equivalent to what the PS3 gives you for $300.00.

The bluray player on the PS3 is clumsy to use, as a result, many people would rather purchase a stand alone unit, and with stand alone prices under $100 in some cases, it's a more viable option. The PS3 no longer has a great edge in that aspect (not that it did in the first place since bluray has yet to hit a large enough market share to be able to affect that PS3 selling point anyway) And secondly, the price of Live is not something the average consumer thinks about when purchasing the 360. Also, you failed to factor in the games, or the amount of people with 360s (more people with 360s means more of a chance that you will be playing with friends). I really don't think the PS3 has an edge, or more value to the majority (meaning more than 50% of consumers looking to purchase an HD console) of consumers. A price drop? No. Major bundling to keep things flowing, yes! PS3 catching up or surpassing the 360...it would be hard pressed unless something phenomenal happens. Sony has played it's trump card, the slim, all it has left is GT5 and and wiimote + knockoff...those are not going to move near the number of consoles Halo Reach and Natal will. Plus there are rumors about a 360 slim, which if true, will take a pretty large bite out of any ground the PS3 has made thus far.  

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

ironman said:
johnappseed84 said:
dunno001 said:
johnappseed84 said:

The bluray player on the PS3 is clumsy to use, as a result, many people would rather purchase a stand alone unit, and with stand alone prices under $100 in some cases, it's a more viable option. The PS3 no longer has a great edge in that aspect (not that it did in the first place since bluray has yet to hit a large enough market share to be able to affect that PS3 selling point anyway) And secondly, the price of Live is not something the average consumer thinks about when purchasing the 360. Also, you failed to factor in the games, or the amount of people with 360s (more people with 360s means more of a chance that you will be playing with friends). I really don't think the PS3 has an edge, or more value to the majority (meaning more than 50% of consumers looking to purchase an HD console) of consumers. A price drop? No. Major bundling to keep things flowing, yes! PS3 catching up or surpassing the 360...it would be hard pressed unless something phenomenal happens. Sony has played it's trump card, the slim, all it has left is GT5 and and wiimote + knockoff...those are not going to move near the number of consoles Halo Reach and Natal will. Plus there are rumors about a 360 slim, which if true, will take a pretty large bite out of any ground the PS3 has made thus far.  

Major bundlings don't change the bottom line price; they add to it. Even if they are a better value (ie. a FFXIII bundle with a $60 game, a $40 controller and a 250GB HDD vs. a 120GB HDD) MS still prices them $100 more than a base 120GB SKU.

For many mass market consumers, the entry price is the first thing they look at once they've made the decision to buy a specific platform (ie. I'll buy it when it's under $200, $149, or whatever). 

By the same token, a $299 250GB Elite with Natal bundled is still... a $299 Xbox. Unless MS chooses to adopt a strategy where they start losing money on each bundle sold in an attempt to regain market share, that potentially game changing $149 Arcade/Natal bundle probably isn't happening.

As for consumers not buying a PS3 because "The bluray player on the PS3 is clumsy to use," that's ridiculous. A $20 remote makes it as easy to use as any BD player on the market, without even limiting comparisons to entry level $99 players.

If a consumer just wants a BD player and wants it as cheap as possible, the PS3 stopped being the best option since last year, and that has had no effect on sales based on Q4 2009 to present numbers. 

Games on both platforms are a wash. Neither has an edge anymore and consumer choice, if it has to be one or the other, will be largely dependent upon personal preferences for the exclusives each platform has.

And the PS3 slim wasn't a game changer because it came in a cheaper housing; it was a game changer because the entry price went from $399 to $299.

Anyone expecting to see the same effect if/when MS changes the housing to a cheaper method of construction is presumably expecting to see a $100 price drop coinciding with an "xbox 360 slim."

ironman said:
johnappseed84 said:
dunno001 said:
johnappseed84 said:

Halo: Reach and Natal aren't going to have as big an effect as some people think.

If we've learned anything this generation, it's that there is no such thing as a system seller, and that it takes a steady stream, a strong, standing library of games that appeal to all demographics to move hardware. GTAIV should have taught us this when the PS3 and 360 sales spiked for 2 weeks and then returned to normal. Halo: Reach, much like the rest of the 360's library, will appeal mostly to core and hardcore gamers, most of whom already have a 360.

I honestly don't see why anyone thinks that Natal is going to be a saving grace either. No mid-generation controller add-on or peripheral has ever played a significant role in a soncole generation, much less a decisive one. The Powerglove, Sega CD, Sega 32X,? Hello?

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

i would think soon because theyre sales are not going up at all.

Around the Network
Lord N said:
ironman said:
johnappseed84 said:
dunno001 said:
johnappseed84 said:

Oh yeahriginal topic. I'd say around Natal's release. The lower price will help clear out the older non-Natal units, allowing Microsoft to have Natal bundled with most systems for the holidays.

Halo: Reach and Natal aren't going to have as big an effect as some people think.

If we've learned anything this generation, it's that there is no such thing as a system seller, and that it takes a steady stream, a strong, standing library of games that appeal to all demographics to move hardware. GTAIV should have taught us this when the PS3 and 360 sales spiked for 2 weeks and then returned to normal. Halo: Reach, much like the rest of the 360's library, will appeal mostly to core and hardcore gamers, most of whom already have a 360.

I honestly don't see why anyone thinks that Natal is going to be a saving grace either. No mid-generation controller add-on or peripheral has ever played a significant role in a soncole generation, much less a decisive one. The Powerglove, Sega CD, Sega 32X,? Hello?

Sigh,  You are making the wrong comparison.  Your comparable is closer to new console launch than a peripheral launch.

ramses01 said:
Lord N said:
ironman said:
johnappseed84 said:
dunno001 said:
johnappseed84 said:

Oh yeahriginal topic. I'd say around Natal's release. The lower price will help clear out the older non-Natal units, allowing Microsoft to have Natal bundled with most systems for the holidays.

Sigh,  You are making the wrong comparison.  Your comparable is closer to new console launch than a peripheral launch.

I would be interested in a 360 Slim with a harddrive for $199. With me the jury is still out on Natal as far as being a motivating influence with me to buy a 360 until I see that it somehow makes core games play better than the standard controller does. Ie. if a metal gear game comes out for natal and you control its stealth actions by hiding behind the furniture in your living room, etc, that would seem much less fun or maybe no more fun to me than by playing with a standard game controller.

johnappseed84 said:
ramses01 said:
Lord N said:
ironman said:
johnappseed84 said:
dunno001 said:
johnappseed84 said:

I would be interested in a 360 Slim with a harddrive for $199. With me the jury is still out on Natal as far as being a motivating influence with me to buy a 360 until I see that it somehow makes core games play better than the standard controller does. Ie. if a metal gear game comes out for natal and you control its stealth actions by hiding behind the furniture in your living room, etc, that would seem much less fun or maybe no more fun to me than by playing with a standard game controller.

That's because you haven't learned to think outside the box. Do you really think Natal is going to be like that? That would be a recepie for a flop day one. No, the devs over at lionhead are smarter than that. 

@Lord N: Nobody ever said Natal would be the saving grace, but it combined with heavy bundling and Halo Reach will move enough consoles to pull away from the PS3 once again. 

@ greenmedic: 

Yes you can purchase a remote, but even with that it's still rather clumsy. Anyway, the average consumer will not purchase the remote because it's "too much of a hassle". Also, you have to remember, the PS3 slim is out and the price was cut by $100.00, those two facters are pretty much the only reason it's sales numbers are doing so well, not because it has a built in bluray player. 

Also, your analysis that mostly consumers have a price point at which they will purchase the console regardless of what it is bundled with is a fallicy at best. The moment you start bundling a console with games or paraphernalia that the consumers were wanting to buy (without increasing costs), you increase the perceived value of the bundle and those consumers will be more inclined to purchase said bundle.

Past Avatar picture!!!

ironman said:
johnappseed84 said:
ramses01 said:
Lord N said:
ironman said:
johnappseed84 said:
dunno001 said:
johnappseed84 said:

That's because you haven't learned to think outside the box. Do you really think Natal is going to be like that? That would be a recepie for a flop day one. No, the devs over at lionhead are smarter than that. 

@Lord N: Nobody ever said Natal would be the saving grace, but it combined with heavy bundling and Halo Reach will move enough consoles to pull away from the PS3 once again. 

@ greenmedic: 

Yes you can purchase a remote, but even with that it's still rather clumsy. Anyway, the average consumer will not purchase the remote because it's "too much of a hassle". Also, you have to remember, the PS3 slim is out and the price was cut by $100.00, those two facters are pretty much the only reason it's sales numbers are doing so well, not because it has a built in bluray player. 

Also, your analysis that mostly consumers have a price point at which they will purchase the console regardless of what it is bundled with is a fallicy at best. The moment you start bundling a console with games or paraphernalia that the consumers were wanting to buy (without increasing costs), you increase the perceived value of the bundle and those consumers will be more inclined to purchase said bundle.

Show definitive proof to support your claim.

Demonstrate at least one solid example where a bundle has had a significant and permanent change (ie rising plateau effect) to sales of a specific console.

And you misinterpret what was said: the $100 price drop (ie the drop from $399 to $299) was what moved the PS3 Slim; not the fact that it came in a cheaper housing with fewer components that cost SCE a lot less to manufacture.

No claim was made about BD player functions having any sort of positive effect on the sales of $299 PS3 slim units. But the $299 SKU permanently increased PS3 sales significantly despite this. To repeat what was said: that feature was irrelevant for consumers strictly looking for a cheap BD player which were commonly available around the same time the $299 Slim debuted.

The PS3 BD remote's fine. I have yet to hear from anyone who complained about how difficult it was to use. You're simply making up an argument to support your opinion. The only complaint has been over the lack of an IR remote interface, typically among those who paid a lot of money for Harmony remotes that won't work with the PS3 Bluetooth interface.

greenmedic88 said:
ironman said:

@ greenmedic: 

Show definitive proof to support your claim.

Demonstrate at least one solid example where a bundle has had a significant and permanent change (ie rising plateau effect) to sales of a specific console.

I don't think you realize how large Natal and Reach will be. As long as you think people will just snub their noses at those, then there can be no convincing you. Anyway, take a look at the sales numbers for bundles...did they undersell? Or did they move consoles? I think you will see a trend where the latter is true. 

And you misinterpret what was said: the $100 price drop (ie the drop from $399 to $299) was what moved the PS3 Slim; not the fact that it came in a cheaper housing with fewer components that cost SCE a lot less to manufacture.

No, what moved the slim was the fact that is smaller and sexier. Many people who already had a "phat" went out and purchased a slim. Yes the pricecut did help , but it wasn't the only factor. So, no, I did not "misinterpret" what you were saying I just disagree wholeheartedly. 

No claim was made about BD player functions having any sort of positive effect on the sales of $299 PS3 slim units. But the $299 SKU permanently increased PS3 sales significantly despite this. To repeat what was said: that feature was irrelevant for consumers strictly looking for a cheap BD player which were commonly available around the same time the $299 Slim debuted.

Erm read the OP, he stated that the PS3 had an edge over the 360 due in part to it having a blueray player.  

The PS3 BD remote's fine. I have yet to hear from anyone who complained about how difficult it was to use. You're simply making up an argument to support your opinion. The only complaint has been over the lack of an IR remote interface, typically among those who paid a lot of money for Harmony remotes that won't work with the PS3 Bluetooth interface.

No, I don't disagree with you that the remote works fine, but the average consumer isn't going to purchase an remote so they can use the clumsy interface (by clumsy I mean not as simple as a stand alone unit). I'm sorry but this is not made up, if bluray was the deciding factor, and it was such a big deal, why has the PS3 STILL not caught up to the 360 in terms of overall sales. Bluray just doesn't matter when it comes to the PS3, and it never really has. Market adoption was slow and by the time it started picking up, cheaper standalone units were available. To top it off, some very nice upconverting DVD players were made available, you know, the ones that used software to "upconvert" the 420P to a simulated 1080P. Why, when DVDs still hold the majority of marketshare, would anybody think that bluray was a selling point? 

Past Avatar picture!!!