By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How soon would you expect to see a 360 price cut?

ironman said:
greenmedic88 said:
ironman said:

That's because you haven't learned to think outside the box. Do you really think Natal is going to be like that? That would be a recepie for a flop day one. No, the devs over at lionhead are smarter than that. 

@Lord N: Nobody ever said Natal would be the saving grace, but it combined with heavy bundling and Halo Reach will move enough consoles to pull away from the PS3 once again. 

@ greenmedic: 

Yes you can purchase a remote, but even with that it's still rather clumsy. Anyway, the average consumer will not purchase the remote because it's "too much of a hassle". Also, you have to remember, the PS3 slim is out and the price was cut by $100.00, those two facters are pretty much the only reason it's sales numbers are doing so well, not because it has a built in bluray player. 

Also, your analysis that mostly consumers have a price point at which they will purchase the console regardless of what it is bundled with is a fallicy at best. The moment you start bundling a console with games or paraphernalia that the consumers were wanting to buy (without increasing costs), you increase the perceived value of the bundle and those consumers will be more inclined to purchase said bundle.

Show definitive proof to support your claim.

Demonstrate at least one solid example where a bundle has had a significant and permanent change (ie rising plateau effect) to sales of a specific console.

I don't think you realize how large Natal and Reach will be. As long as you think people will just snub their noses at those, then there can be no convincing you. Anyway, take a look at the sales numbers for bundles...did they undersell? Or did they move consoles? I think you will see a trend where the latter is true. 

You're making some pretty big assumptions based upon incomplete information. Off hand I'd say you already drank the Natal flavored Kool-Aid so I won't try to convince you nothing is guaranteed as far as how favorable general consumer reaction will be to the end product.

As for Reach; it's Halo. It will sell tons of soft units, we'll see a temporary spike in hardware units over the first couple weeks, and that will be about the end of it as far as moving more 360s.

And no, the SC: Conviction and FFXIII bundles did not, nor will they create any sort of plateau effect in terms of sustained Xbox 360 sales. Like the RE5 bundle, they're limited specifically because MS knows the demand for special software bundles drops off sharply once initial sales of a new game subside. If you want to argue that they sold 100k units, or even 500k units of hardware, fine, but as most will acknowledge, a game moving a few hundred K of hardware units does not = a game changing paradigm shift.

And you misinterpret what was said: the $100 price drop (ie the drop from $399 to $299) was what moved the PS3 Slim; not the fact that it came in a cheaper housing with fewer components that cost SCE a lot less to manufacture.

No, what moved the slim was the fact that is smaller and sexier. Many people who already had a "phat" went out and purchased a slim. Yes the pricecut did help , but it wasn't the only factor. So, no, I did not "misinterpret" what you were saying I just disagree wholeheartedly. 

The price change was the bigger factor by far. You can argue until you're blue in the face; I won't try to convince you otherwise. There are simply more people who aren't willing to pay $400 for any game console, regardless of what else they can do with it. The number one complaint of the PS3 upon debut was "it's too expensive" shortly followed by "it has no games to justify the price." "it's too big and unsexy" was probably somewhere at the bottom of the list if it were on the list at all among general consumers.

No claim was made about BD player functions having any sort of positive effect on the sales of $299 PS3 slim units. But the $299 SKU permanently increased PS3 sales significantly despite this. To repeat what was said: that feature was irrelevant for consumers strictly looking for a cheap BD player which were commonly available around the same time the $299 Slim debuted.

Erm read the OP, he stated that the PS3 had an edge over the 360 due in part to it having a blueray player.  

I don't agree with the OP. I thought that was pretty clear. You're trying to put his words in my mouth.

The PS3 BD remote's fine. I have yet to hear from anyone who complained about how difficult it was to use. You're simply making up an argument to support your opinion. The only complaint has been over the lack of an IR remote interface, typically among those who paid a lot of money for Harmony remotes that won't work with the PS3 Bluetooth interface.

No, I don't disagree with you that the remote works fine, but the average consumer isn't going to purchase an remote so they can use the clumsy interface (by clumsy I mean not as simple as a stand alone unit). I'm sorry but this is not made up, if bluray was the deciding factor, and it was such a big deal, why has the PS3 STILL not caught up to the 360 in terms of overall sales. Bluray just doesn't matter when it comes to the PS3, and it never really has. Market adoption was slow and by the time it started picking up, cheaper standalone units were available. To top it off, some very nice upconverting DVD players were made available, you know, the ones that used software to "upconvert" the 420P to a simulated 1080P. Why, when DVDs still hold the majority of marketshare, would anybody think that bluray was a selling point? 

If the average consumer buys one as a primary BD player they will. It's one of the most commonly sold peripherals among new PS3 buyers. That's not even an opinion; that's just the way it is. BD has continually picked up as a general consumer format along with the increased HDTV adoption rate. Nobody should be denying this based upon the sales data and tracking reports that are readily available. At this point, it's doing less to sell PS3s specifically for BD playback capabilities, but to argue that the entire format is somehow irrelevant because of the existence of upscaling DVDs players is pretty much an empty argument when retail data consistently shows that DVD sales have been dropping while BD sales have been growing. 

Around the Network
Infamy79 said:
jneul said:
if they do a price cut it should come at the same time as the natal launch.

Too late IMO, they may as well hand over 2nd place to Sony now if they are going to wait that long

If they do a price cut now it would also be silly it will not have as much effect this time of the year as it will do in the holidays, trust me 2010 fall is there best chance and their last trick card they can possibly play with natal and 360 slim bundle

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

ironman said:
greenmedic88 said:
ironman said:

That's because you haven't learned to think outside the box. Do you really think Natal is going to be like that? That would be a recepie for a flop day one. No, the devs over at lionhead are smarter than that. 

@Lord N: Nobody ever said Natal would be the saving grace, but it combined with heavy bundling and Halo Reach will move enough consoles to pull away from the PS3 once again. 

@ greenmedic: 

Yes you can purchase a remote, but even with that it's still rather clumsy. Anyway, the average consumer will not purchase the remote because it's "too much of a hassle". Also, you have to remember, the PS3 slim is out and the price was cut by $100.00, those two facters are pretty much the only reason it's sales numbers are doing so well, not because it has a built in bluray player. 

Also, your analysis that mostly consumers have a price point at which they will purchase the console regardless of what it is bundled with is a fallicy at best. The moment you start bundling a console with games or paraphernalia that the consumers were wanting to buy (without increasing costs), you increase the perceived value of the bundle and those consumers will be more inclined to purchase said bundle.

Demonstrate at least one solid example where a bundle has had a significant and permanent change (ie rising plateau effect) to sales of a specific console.

I don't think you realize how large Natal and Reach will be. As long as you think people will just snub their noses at those, then there can be no convincing you. Anyway, take a look at the sales numbers for bundles...did they undersell? Or did they move consoles? I think you will see a trend where the latter is true. 

And you misinterpret what was said: the $100 price drop (ie the drop from $399 to $299) was what moved the PS3 Slim; not the fact that it came in a cheaper housing with fewer components that cost SCE a lot less to manufacture.

No, what moved the slim was the fact that is smaller and sexier. Many people who already had a "phat" went out and purchased a slim. Yes the pricecut did help , but it wasn't the only factor. So, no, I did not "misinterpret" what you were saying I just disagree wholeheartedly. 

No claim was made about BD player functions having any sort of positive effect on the sales of $299 PS3 slim units. But the $299 SKU permanently increased PS3 sales significantly despite this. To repeat what was said: that feature was irrelevant for consumers strictly looking for a cheap BD player which were commonly available around the same time the $299 Slim debuted.

Erm read the OP, he stated that the PS3 had an edge over the 360 due in part to it having a blueray player.  

The PS3 BD remote's fine. I have yet to hear from anyone who complained about how difficult it was to use. You're simply making up an argument to support your opinion. The only complaint has been over the lack of an IR remote interface, typically among those who paid a lot of money for Harmony remotes that won't work with the PS3 Bluetooth interface.

No, I don't disagree with you that the remote works fine, but the average consumer isn't going to purchase an remote so they can use the clumsy interface (by clumsy I mean not as simple as a stand alone unit). I'm sorry but this is not made up, if bluray was the deciding factor, and it was such a big deal, why has the PS3 STILL not caught up to the 360 in terms of overall sales. Bluray just doesn't matter when it comes to the PS3, and it never really has. Market adoption was slow and by the time it started picking up, cheaper standalone units were available. To top it off, some very nice upconverting DVD players were made available, you know, the ones that used software to "upconvert" the 420P to a simulated 1080P. Why, when DVDs still hold the majority of marketshare, would anybody think that bluray was a selling point? 

Okay back when the 360 had many more high quality games on it than the PS3, then I think that if the current 360 Elite had been going up against the current $299 PS3, then I think a strong case could be made that the quality of the 360's software library was strong enough that it would be the better deal.

However, over the last couple of years when it can be said that the PS3's library has increased in quality to the point where there's really only a few trade offs that you have to make in game quality when purchasing each system that you have to look at other factors to determine which one is better for your money.

It's true that you can't play Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, or Gears of War on PS3, but you can't play Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, and watch Avatar or This Is It! on 360 on blu-ray.

maybe in september , close to halo:reach's launch .

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

no but u can watch avatar on hd through xbl marketplace or through netflix. so thats a mute point as to the 360 not being able to watch avatar in blu-ray on the system. on heavy rain it says on the game disk that heavy rain is a trademark of the dev and not sony, so heavy rain in theory could come to another system if the dev wanted too after their deal with sony runs out i suppose. either way both systems are great and are for the most part equal.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
no but u can watch avatar on hd through xbl marketplace or through netflix. so thats a mute point as to the 360 not being able to watch avatar in blu-ray on the system. on heavy rain it says on the game disk that heavy rain is a trademark of the dev and not sony, so heavy rain in theory could come to another system if the dev wanted too after their deal with sony runs out i suppose. either way both systems are great and are for the most part equal.

Actually, you have to have a fairly quick internet connection to do that or the movie will pause and you'll have to wait for it to load again which depending on how slow your connection is (and mine pauses just after a few seconds of watching a youtube video at their standard speed these days), it could take all day to watch one movie that way. It would take me 10 hours to download a 1000 megabyte file.

I don't think price cuts will happen, just bundles with Natal.

Although tbh I stopped reading after "library of casual games"

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

johnappseed84 said:
ironman said:
greenmedic88 said:
ironman said:

@ greenmedic: 

Okay back when the 360 had many more high quality games on it than the PS3, then I think that if the current 360 Elite had been going up against the current $299 PS3, then I think a strong case could be made that the quality of the 360's software library was strong enough that it would be the better deal.

However, over the last couple of years when it can be said that the PS3's library has increased in quality to the point where there's really only a few trade offs that you have to make in game quality when purchasing each system that you have to look at other factors to determine which one is better for your money.

It's true that you can't play Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, or Gears of War on PS3, but you can't play Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, and watch Avatar or This Is It! on 360 on blu-ray.

...funny, I thought we just talked about the bluray...it's not, never has been, and doesn't look like it will be, a REAL system seller...at any point in time. Anyway, I agree with you on the games library pros and cons of each console. They both have great games...my question to you is...why do you think that even fits into the discussion? I know I never brought it up (other than some pretty large titles coming soon) 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

ironman said:
johnappseed84 said:
ironman said:
greenmedic88 said:
ironman said:

@ greenmedic: 

...funny, I thought we just talked about the bluray...it's not, never has been, and doesn't look like it will be, a REAL system seller...at any point in time. Anyway, I agree with you on the games library pros and cons of each console. They both have great games...my question to you is...why do you think that even fits into the discussion? I know I never brought it up (other than some pretty large titles coming soon) 

I don't really know what your asking about what fits into the discussion? What games are on the system?

Instead of a price drop, I want a solid system with a low % of failure rate and a slim version at that, that's something that MS needs to focus on before a price drop since they'd be cheating their customers otherwise, oh wait, they've been doing that for years with most of their products I guess, fucking Vista.