By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo blames DS Piracy for 50% drop in European software sales

So no games besides Pokemon Soulsiver/Heartgold is the not the fault then?

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network

Some of you don't understand the gravity of the situation here.
Yes, R4 and such devices have been around for a while but the thing is........ that shit has gone mainstream now!
Yes, those people you call casual, when they buy the DS some shops sell them with those cards.
A friend of mine who recently bought a DS, said the seller even told her WHERE to get games from.

I notice that people are saying that Nintendo is partly to blame because they haven't released any system sellers in a while. While I agree, I think the likely reason is that the bulk of their teams are probably working on the launch lineup for 3DS, rather than continuing to support a system that they will be moving away from in less than a year.
Now, I didn't check, but does anyone know how many big GBA games were released by Nintendo in it's final months? And that was for a handheld that Nintendo originally stated was going to co-exist alongside the DS.

We already knew that piracy is no good excuse when DS software fails, it just can't get away with such lame argument when it's obviously Nintendo's fault. And I'm being completely serious here =)

@Kasz216, puffy

Not much of system seller right now, but Prof. Layton considered a top-tier franchise by Nintendo, especially in Europe.

stupid pirates

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Around the Network

nintendo should be worried, the ds software is down, the piracy is strong

It really annoys me.

A few days ago in my school, two people were playing their DS's. A third person comes in with his DS and R4 with a bunch of downloaded games, and started going "Why did you buy those games?! You can download them for free! You're so stupid."

That makes me angry >:o

Phoenix_Wiight said:
It really annoys me.

A few days ago in my school, two people were playing their DS's. A third person comes in with his DS and R4 with a bunch of downloaded games, and started going "Why did you buy those games?! You can download them for free! You're so stupid."

That makes me angry >:o

Just politely explain that if everyone did that, there would be no more games to play.

In Japan, I was shocked that some of my teachers were using Majicon cartridges and telling their students how many games they had. Some people just don't give a damn.

And now, 3DS in 2010 suddenly makes sense...

imo the 3rd parties are the ones who suffer.
if thousands of ppl now buy a dsi because they know they can get their games for free, thats thousands of additionally sold dsi.
not saying its great though...