By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the gta series growing old

With the disapointment that was gta4,I was wondering if the gta series is on it's last legs. Rockstar's already done everything possible in a gta game. Rockstar is coming out with red dead redemption,which is just gta in the old west. So what else could they do in a gta game? How is rockstar going to follow up on that disaster of a game that was gta4?

Around the Network

I dunno GTA was my tied favorite series coming in this gen, then the travesty that was GTA4 made GTA exit my Top 5 franchises, a huge shock & disappointment.

I just Don't Care about GTA anymore

BUT all is not lost.......the brand power is still MASSIVE and all they need to do is pump out another GTA:SA

It seems like (afetr whats happening with IW) COD might be on its way down now, so GTA has a paerfect chance to grab the spotlight and become THE Hardcore gaming franchise again.

COD4 kinda took away GTA's throne of "THE Hardcore Franchise".....maybe GTAV can bring it back.

One thing is for sure, GTA aint going down like TOmb Raider/Crash bandicoot did.....its too powerful.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I wouldn't say GTA4 was a disaster, but it certainly lacked.

I do think Rockstar will have to take the franchise in a new, more direction. The story-driven path didn't work that well.

Full blown open-range is my guess.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

darthdevidem01 said:

I dunno GTA was my tied favorite series coming in this gen, then the travesty that was GTA4 made GTA exit my Top 5 franchises, a huge shock & disappointment.

I just Don't Care about GTA anymore

BUT all is not lost.......the brand power is still MASSIVE and all they need to do is pump out another GTA:SA

It seems like (afetr whats happening with IW) COD might be on its way down now, so GTA has a paerfect chance to grab the spotlight and become THE Hardcore gaming franchise again.

COD4 kinda took away GTA's throne of "THE Hardcore Franchise".....maybe GTAV can bring it back.

One thing is for sure, GTA aint going down like TOmb Raider/Crash bandicoot did.....its too powerful.

your right you could'nt do half of the stuff you could do in GTA:SA. How many times do we need to visit liberty city. lol

even if it wasnt as god as SA it was still damn good. And no, its not getting old to me, i cant speak for everyone though

Around the Network

I don't know. I played a little GTA4 a couple of weeks ago in preparation for GTA Episodes and it wasn't too bad. I think I'm really burned out on sandbox games in general. I prefer the more focused gameplay experience of Batman, Heavy Rain or something, nowadays.

Dont think GTA IV was a 'disaster' or a 'travesty'. First GTA I ever played and I thought it was brilliant although I admit I cant compare it the previous games.
Also I dont understand how a game that has sold 7+ million on the 360 and 6+ million on the PS3 can be on its last legs

SecondWar said:
Dont think GTA IV was a 'disaster' or a 'travesty'. First GTA I ever played and I thought it was brilliant although I admit I cant compare it the previous games.
Also I dont understand how a game that has sold 7+ million on the 360 and 6+ million on the PS3 can be on its last legs

it sold that much before people knew what a downgrade it was. GTA:SA sold more on the ps2 then GTA4 did on the ps3/360 combined. So gta4's sales actually declined compared to the previous installment. That's a sign of the series getting old. lol

Well, I'd say it's getting old. From my perspective, it's been using the same gimmicks to sell since GTA3. Reskin the game, maybe add a few more little things, and bam- new game! And as of late, it seems to show that Rockstar is afraid to try to do anything not somehow related to GTA; their few attempts are met with poor sales. I've been wondering for a while what would happen to Rockstar when GTA does die off, as more than half the company's revenue comes from that franchise. Not to mention the poor management and budget controls that still lost them money... Rockstar might not be around long enough to see GTA die; they might die first.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

dunno001 said:
Well, I'd say it's getting old. From my perspective, it's been using the same gimmicks to sell since GTA3. Reskin the game, maybe add a few more little things, and bam- new game! And as of late, it seems to show that Rockstar is afraid to try to do anything not somehow related to GTA; their few attempts are met with poor sales. I've been wondering for a while what would happen to Rockstar when GTA does die off, as more than half the company's revenue comes from that franchise. Not to mention the poor management and budget controls that still lost them money... Rockstar might not be around long enough to see GTA die; they might die first.

I pretty much agree with this post. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.