By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - New HD-DVD discs, stores up to 51 GB

eproductwars....well yeah the HDDVD has been selling well for the last week, but how long can Tosh keep up the promo? Aren't they giving out a few more HD-DVDs for each player this week? I guess money must grow on trees for Toshiba.

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

Around the Network

Things looking bad for hd dvd? Last i heard most execs (sony included) said that they entered a stalemate. I don't know about using blu ray as pc storage, it's not cheap enough right now. I would wager that flash memory could become a new/old cheap way os storing lots of memory.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

The 40g was a huge blow to HD-DVD. Basically what happened is that Sony has made a cheap cheap PS3 that people around the world will buy, so they've effectively cut the cost to make the PS3, which brings a BD player in for a lot cheaper than usual. In fact HDDVD doesn't really have anything to counter this with, the only reason why they are doing good right now on eproductwars.com/ is b/c of a temporary promotion that isn't possible to sustain. For anybody supporting HD-DVD is there anything else that can possibly save HD-DVD?

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Well, movies obviously. And while i agree that the PS3 is the cheapest blu ray player, you forget that it still costs more than a stand alone hd dvd player. A new A3 toshiba model costs....299$ if i remeber correctly, feel free to bash me if i'm mistaken.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

No bashing needed, but what I mean is that if the Bd has been gaining ground, what could possibly reverse this trend? Why will HD-DVD stop losing and start winning?

Around the Network

I am sure Toshiba can sustain a promotion for as long as they want, what with the gobs of royalty money that pours in monthly from the original DVD. Why do you guys think Sony wanted in on the action? They didn't want other people getting royalty that they felt they should be getting, for whatever reason...and then there as BLU!!! Seriously though, there is not going to be super HD like you say ssj12, atleast not in the near future, and by the time there is, it won't be coming out on BD discs, that is a guarantee. So all those 100-200gb BD discs are going to be useless, because flash memory is going to be the new thing for storage...read times from BD discs cant compare to HDs, HDs can't even hold a stick to flash. It just doesn't make sense to keep developing these high capacity BD discs when there is going to be absolutely no use for them, because they will be too costly when they come out, and when they are cheap, they won't even be considered, because they will be too slow and not as cheap as the next viable alternative.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

WEWdeadeye said:
I am sure Toshiba can sustain a promotion for as long as they want, what with the gobs of royalty money that pours in monthly from the original DVD.

But Tosh hasn't been doing well profitwise lately.  It is about 15% smaller than Sony, which means that it just won't have as much $$$ to bring to the table, and it had a profit margin of about 2.5% versus sony's 3.5% for the most recent quarter as far as I can remember.  So all in all, they just won't have the resources that they need to have a long format war, not that sony will either but Tosh has a lot less in the gas tank and worse performing engine at that if you don't mind me using a car analogy.

WEWdeadeye said:
I am sure Toshiba can sustain a promotion for as long as they want, what with the gobs of royalty money that pours in monthly from the original DVD. Why do you guys think Sony wanted in on the action? They didn't want other people getting royalty that they felt they should be getting, for whatever reason...and then there as BLU!!! Seriously though, there is not going to be super HD like you say ssj12, atleast not in the near future, and by the time there is, it won't be coming out on BD discs, that is a guarantee. So all those 100-200gb BD discs are going to be useless, because flash memory is going to be the new thing for storage...read times from BD discs cant compare to HDs, HDs can't even hold a stick to flash. It just doesn't make sense to keep developing these high capacity BD discs when there is going to be absolutely no use for them, because they will be too costly when they come out, and when they are cheap, they won't even be considered, because they will be too slow and not as cheap as the next viable alternative.

actually even flash emmory is being phased out. lol becasue right now Solid State Drives which are based on falsh technology cost over $750 for a 16GB drive. Right now electron drives are being developed and even though a single drive is predicted to cost $1.5k the drive will have unlimited space ie cant fill the darn thing up if you tried and downlaod the internet 100000 times without noticing a single thing. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ProfDallas said:
WEWdeadeye said:
I am sure Toshiba can sustain a promotion for as long as they want, what with the gobs of royalty money that pours in monthly from the original DVD.

But Tosh hasn't been doing well profitwise lately.  It is about 15% smaller than Sony, which means that it just won't have as much $$$ to bring to the table, and it had a profit margin of about 2.5% versus sony's 3.5% for the most recent quarter as far as I can remember.  So all in all, they just won't have the resources that they need to have a long format war, not that Sony will either but Tosh has a lot less in the gas tank and worse performing engine at that if you don't mind me using a car analogy.

Also Toshiba only recieves royalties from HD-DVD and their own DVD players, and TVs.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Yeah, but even with all of this $$$ coming in their profit margin is a lot less, meaning the whole machine is less efficient, and they are about 15% smaller. It's like a 200 lb titleholding boxer going up against a 170lb guy that is ranked somewhere in the top 20 when the titleholder has a lot more people in his corner and the other guy has mabey a few. Not saying that the other guy can't win....but it doesn't seem logical at least to me.