By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - New HD-DVD discs, stores up to 51 GB

KruzeS said:
rocketpig said: 1440p would be roughly 33% larger than 1080p.

Actually, no it wouldn't - it would be 78% larger. Not only in size, but also in data rate. It would also require significantly better video decoders. Meaning, a new format. Meaning, it doesn't matter now. Meaning, you throw your brand new TV, your AV receiver and your movie player, out the window.

Is anyone really looking forward to this now!? Seriously. There's literally zero chance the current standards will be updated to support higher resolutions, unless it's optional support and discs come loaded with several versions of the same movie. Even then it means buying everything again, if you really must have the latest and greatest.

But would it make that much of a difference though? I mean both image and sound? They say most people need a 50+ inch TV to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, you'd probably need a 70 inch TV or a projector to tell the difference between a 1440p and 1080p.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:

Also, it's a good thing that HD DVD may get 51gb discs soon. BD's extra space is really beginning to come into play. For example, the Blu-Ray version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix comes with an extra 40 min. A&E special on the making of the movie, and it and many of the other special features on the disc are in 1080p. All the extras on the HD DVD version, however, are in 480p. The additional scenes and other featurettes are all in HD on Blu-Ray, but only SD on HD DVD. Sure HD DVD gets PiP and that community chat thing, but I'd much prefer getting HD extras on my HD format.

Just look at the backs of the OotP cases (top right, under "Special Features", and more info in the "Special Features" box in the middle of the case):

Initially, HD DVD is supposed to get the A&E feature as well on top of all the exclusive HD DVD features.  But to make thigns fair since bluray cannot do PiP or web-enabled stuff, WB dropped the A&E for HD DVD, which you can still get on normal DVD (the A&E documentary).  Even if it's HD extras, I thoguth many blu-ray fans did not care for extras and only care for the movie itself? o_O

@profDallas

BTW, where's the Funai $299 player you so heavily promoted earlier :) Walmart just stocked the Venturer $199 player even though they said they wouldn't. (not that it matters since Toshiba A2/A3 is selling already sub 200 in a lot of stores.  But I only wanted to ponit this out in walmart's stand point of view. This could mean anything but I won't speculate.)

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Naah Delusional, we'll get the extras soon enough. Starting last month, the Blu-ray Association required that all BD players come with an ethnet cable, in order to get these extras, not that they will amount to a hill of beans anyway.

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

welshbloke said:

It amazes me how the Blu Ray mob have this all sown up (then sown up again and then again) yet HD DVD continues to hang around. Two good articles to read the first discusses the Blu Ray european disc sales and the HD DVD player sales both recently announced.

HD DVD player sales top 750,000, Blu-ray claims lead in Europe

The other is a good article about what as a consumer you should be considering.

Which is More Consumer Friendly: HD DVD or Blu-ray?

I guess nobody read these links then judging by the comments made since.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Just bring Gladiator on HD DVD.
:D

Carpe Diem!