By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Install base in Australia and New Zealand, per GfK

RolStoppable said:
New Zealand deserves to lose all their matches at the World Cup in South Africa.

LOL!!

Just as well you wrote "in South Africa".

I'm not surprised by our Wii numbers. There is a strong perception of Wii being for the kids and fitness Mums here, and that it is a G rated console (little do they know). Certainly all the TV ads for Wii I've seen are aimed at those 2 markets.

I'm surprised at the DS vs. PSP numbers. Though my sampling is very limited, based on what I've seen I'd have guessed DS>PSP here, but not by much. PSP>DS by that much seems pretty crazy.

Interestingly a couple of game retailers have recently changed the layout of their stores. Most notably the closest EB Games store has swapped the XBox360 section with the PS3 section. The store is long and narrow with the sales counter half way down. Up until a month or so back the 360 game shelves were along one wall from the store entrance to the sales counter. The PS3 shelves were from the sales counter to the back of the shop. Now it's completely swapped. The Wii shelves stayed put in the front half on the opposite wall. I've heard that where products sit in a store is somewhat of a reflection of the popularity.

PC game shelves for a long time have been relegated to the back wall, and that's where they've stayed

Interestingly with the JB HiFi store the first game shelves you see coming in to the store are the 360 and PS3 used games shelves. Kinda suggests where they want the customer to focus their attention, and I gotta say, it works. I always check out the PS3 used games display beefore venturing further.

The other point of interest is that in Aussie PS3+360+Wii ~ PS2+XB whereas in NZ PS3+360+Wii < PS2 (which means << PS2+XB though XB not shown it must be good for at least 100K). last gen gamers pretty slow to adopt this gen in NZ it seems. Not suprising given the high price of consoles here, and the fact that we are experiencing much tougher economic times than Aussie at the moment.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
New Zealand is the greatest city in Austraila.

<3 New Zealand

No way. Vienna is beautiful, and it doesn't have Yana in it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

palancas7 said:
New Zealand sucks.

watch yo mouth boy

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

So the Xbox 360 has sold 1 million consoles in AU + NZ:

http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/konsolesforkids/default.htm

"To celebrate the sale of 1 million Xbox 360 consoles across Australia and New Zealand, we’re auctioning off one-of-a-kind consoles to raise funds for the David Peachey Foundation."

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

EVERY single chart I have seen from a market from others (I saw middle east, other Europe, France, Italy and now this) EVERY SINGLE CHART the PS3 was undertracked compared to VGChartz and the Xbox 360 (In all but 1) overtracked

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

Around the Network

Strange sales figures in NZ. I had forgotten the population was so small.

Maybe that's why Nintendo rather push their products in far more lucrative and populous markets (someone mentioned that the only - or most - ads are PS3 and x360).

It will be interesting to see the change in these figures at the end of 2010.