By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can you block your "online status" with the PS3?

KylieDog said:
I have this problem with vidzone showing what you are watching.

Thats not me listening to Girls Aloud, I swear!

haha you care too much what other people think,,,,,screw them.Let them think what they want .Who cares what they think?? :)

Around the Network

man, i am wondering the same thing...
all i end up doing is just unplug my ethernet cable,
  this way i don't ever log on

i have a friend who works where i work and i'm always trippin that when i do call in sick he might see me logged on the day i was supposedly "sick" and might snitch on me - he ain't all that trustworthy anyway, and i don't have the heart to de-friend him now... LOL

d21lewis said:

There are certain times when I play online and I don't want certain people to know I'm online OR what I'm playing.  For example, I have a "friend" who always seems to be online.  Whenever I buy a new game, he wants to borrow it!!  He'll go out of his way to find me and say something like, "Hey man!  I see you got that new Heavy Rain.  Is it any good?  Well when you fininsh it, can I borrow it?"

Me being the kind hearted push over that I am, I always give in.  I let the guy borrow Heavy Rain in early March and I just got it back YESTERDAY!!  He had it twice as long as I did --and still didn't beat the game!

Life would be a lot easier if I could turn off my "online status" from time to time.  Plus, if there's a way to turn off those notices ("bob4titties is now online", "killerbot is now offline"), that would be awesome.  The notification always pops up when I'm trying to read something in that corner.

Any help would be appreciated.

go to friends list and hit triangle on your profile and select status not available. 

d21lewis said:

There are certain times when I play online and I don't want certain people to know I'm online OR what I'm playing.  For example, I have a "friend" who always seems to be online.  Whenever I buy a new game, he wants to borrow it!!  He'll go out of his way to find me and say something like, "Hey man!  I see you got that new Heavy Rain.  Is it any good?  Well when you fininsh it, can I borrow it?"

Me being the kind hearted push over that I am, I always give in.  I let the guy borrow Heavy Rain in early March and I just got it back YESTERDAY!!  He had it twice as long as I did --and still didn't beat the game!

Life would be a lot easier if I could turn off my "online status" from time to time.  Plus, if there's a way to turn off those notices ("bob4titties is now online", "killerbot is now offline"), that would be awesome.  The notification always pops up when I'm trying to read something in that corner.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can set it up so that you don't log in right away when you play PS3. If it's a single player game you don't even need to log in. Or you can have an alt account.

PSN ID: KingFate_

You can play offline. Just sign out when you not playing an online game. Really though just ignore that dude. Better yet delete him from your friend list. I delete friends all the the time. He just don't want to pay for his games. You paid for it don't let him use you. It's just like studing for a test. You study hard and you know the answers to every question but some fool in class want to copy your test that you spent hours studing for.

Around the Network

Ignorance is bliss

yeah i wanna put my Online status private as well, i hate it when people knows what im doing lol

It's possible to turn off all notifications, which is what I've done.

But I'd like the ability to turn off friend log-in/log-out notifications (why do I care?), but keep message notifications.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

KylieDog said:
I have this problem with vidzone showing what you are watching.

Thats not me listening to Girls Aloud, I swear!

In VidZone - Tools - Network - Disable XMB Presence

I turned off the notifications. It was pretty simple. I wonder what other features are "hidden" in the PS3 options.......

I guess I'll just pull my ethernet cable when I want to remain anonymous. Making an alt account isn't really an option. Every now and then, I stumble across a trophy. I'm not a trophy whore by any means but I like credit for what I earn.

I work with a bunch of guys who LOVE the PS3. All of them make it a mission to be on each other's friends lists. But, they only play "manly games" (MW2, Madden, NBA Live, God of War). It's just this one guy that tries to play games like Uncharted 2 or Batman that gets on my nerves!! Can't delete him, though. I just hate his "mooching" off of me.

Once again, thanks for the replies!