By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan Wake - First 10 Minutes!!

CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
Fanboyism is quite sad.

I myself admit that I tended to downplay Heavy Rain before it game came out, due to fanboyism.

In this thread every single Sony fan is downplaying Alan Wake.

Some people weren't too impressed with the video, but not all are "downplaying" it. You were insulting HEAVY RAIN without any footage at all and you know I would know because I called you out on it just about every time you did it.

In fact some of the people commenting in here are planning on buying it. They just aren't as impressed with the visuals as they had hoped to be. It happened with HEAVY RAIN, it's happening here.

I have to disagree. If you look around the web, our Forum here is the only real place people are ' appearing ' to be disappointed. Every forum Ive read are really crazy about the graphics. Especially the recent 4 min trailer. There is so many times you just cannot tell the differenc whether it's gameplay or cutscene. It's been a long long time since I have been truly wowed. I think that true wow is coming MAy 14th.

Even Uncharted 2 or Mass Effect 2 made me stop in my tracks, but not true Wowing like the first Gears did for the gen. I have never seen fog and lighting and environmental reaction and amotsphere 'ever' like this video in gaming.

I can't speak for the entire web. As I learned with HEAVY RAIN, you're always going to have people that: weren't impressed/letdown/downplayin' etc, etc.... But you'll also have those that are: impressed/overjoyed/happy about what's present. At this point, just do what I did, be happy for the title you have hyped and let all else be.

Oh hell yeah. I wouldnt miss this for the world.

Just a question, do you think it will get critical acclaim as best visuals this gen by reviews and media?

I think it's absolutely a given based of the latest 4 min trailer and this first 10 mins.

Just curious.

Yes, I can see it winning some critical acclaim over it's visuals and being touted as the current best that consoles have currently offered. But with stiff competition from Halo: Reach, God of War III, HEAVY RAIN, & Mass Effect 2.....it's going to be a hard fight. I see it settling on Meta @ 89 or 90 with 2.5-3mill sales LTD.

Yeah I think reviews will go gaga for the graphics, but some may mark down for gameplay style or something. So yeah. I'm hoping for 90+

Around the Network

Surprisingly, neoGaf is mostly liking the game. There are a few who are nitpicking about the voice overs and acting, but not many are really downplaying how great the game looks.

I hope it's sales do well, they've been working on it for so long, bills are gonna be high, and what with only one platform to recoup their losses?

I hope it does 3.5 - 4m

@ Selnor

Come on, it's a dark game but not too dark to see it does not come remotely close to Uncharted 2's visuals. I have very much the feeling you are just pretending...

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

The first 12 minutes makes no sense at all. Alan Wake: " ..to reach my destination, a lighthouse for some urgent reason I couldn't remember."

Alan Wake, a man who goes places for reasons he can't remember. Lame

GamerTag/PSN ID JoshmyersBV (please add me I have 2 friends on Xbox Live)

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ Selnor

Come on, it's a dark game but not too dark to see it does not come remotely close to Uncharted 2's visuals. I have very much the feeling you are just pretending...

I do you a bet. I bet Alan Wake has a resounding Best graphics on consoles across the board from reviewers. A 360 game hasnt had that across the board since Gears. I mean literally most reviews saying it point blank. Obviously you bet it doesn't. I was gonna fix your post to show 'in thread' The first 10 mins of Uncharted 2 beside Alan Wake. But I guessed you would only say it's an internet video and doesn't do it justice. With Uncharted 2 you can always tell when it's gameplay or cutscene. With Alan Wake you cant always tell. Wakes fog, Environment coming to life, Lighting and scale is all unbeaten.

http://www.vgarabia.com/2010/04/16/multiplatform-engines-didnt-do-the-xbox360-justice/

big_boss said:
The first 12 minutes makes no sense at all. Alan Wake: " ..to reach my destination, a lighthouse for some urgent reason I couldn't remember."

You know its a dream right?

You telling me you know why you dream about some random place with random people?

The opening chapter is a dream Alans having. Then in the 2nd chapter he wakes in the car next to his wife arriving at Bright Falls.

It's just a tutorial. And an inventive way to do one, I might add.

big_boss said:

When he is dreaming, yes.

@ selnor

With Uncharted 2 you can always tell when it's gameplay or cutscene. With Alan Wake you can talways tell.

Uncharted 2's ingame graphics look better than the video cutscenes in Alan Wake. Maybe they downgraded those visuals to suit the rest of the game.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales