By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Lady GaGa's Bad Romance becomes most viewed video in youtube history

well. in mi opinon i dont agree with what they said up there. i dont see lady gaga as the tipical pop star. i dont even see her songs as the tipical pop music at all.

with witch pop star can we compare lady gaga??. i cant think right now on anyone. there might be someone but i cant think on one right now. she is not the tipical "cookie cutter".

she is so different!!. i mean we have to at least admit that she thinks outside the box. she absolutely never does things that are really common in the music industry. you can see it in her lyrics, her videos, in her life style!. you can see how she dresses, how she acts now!. her personality, everything!!. in her concerts!. i mean as a good example i can name her VMA performance were she end up with blood and hanging from a rope or something??. she is so unique and original!!, an creative!!. she created a new trend.

and her music is GOOD, is sticky!!. and thats what makes an artist amazing for me.

and if being unique and creative and original is not innovative then i dont know whats is really. i might have the definition wrong in my mind then.

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
leo-j said:
Rath said:
luisgvm said:

wow so many haters here!!. well you know what they say. when someone reach an amazing success the envy comes. lady gaga have this incredible success because of something simple. her music is amazing. and therefore a lot of people wants to hear it. lady gaga does things that has been done before????. oh please. the one who said that havent seen all the videos of her. i mean really????. something like bad romance or telephone have been done before???. mmm...

If it was envy that made people dislike her then don't you think they'd dislike all successful musicians? I always find it hard to fathom how people can't understand that some people simply don't like her music.

What I find pathetic is how people generally develope an expectation just because X artist is popular, out of the blue 90% of the posters here around a year ago said "She can't sing, She's manufactured, She doesn't write music" because she is a pop artist..

You don't realize it because you don't follow pop music as hard as I do.. Before lady gaga, you were right to categorize all pop musicans as manufactured/not being able to sing/not writing there music. She has made the entire pop industry work 10 times harder than they used to. They have all stepped up there game to keep up with this women. You have majore fucking bands and artists like DAUGHTRY, PARAMOORE, 30 SECOUNDS TO MARS, GREEN DAY, and more pay tribute to this women, it's not that I like her, it's the fact she has clearly had impact on music. I'm not even joking here, you guys may not even notice it because you guys don't care, but I honestly have noticed, before her DANCE/TECHNO/POP music did not exist on mainstream radio, all of a sudden christina aguilera changes her entire fucking look and sound, a year after lady gaga's "take over" year. Usher is doing techno, T Pain is doing techno, DR DRE is doing techno, AKON himself has said she has flipped a switch and changed things.

If oyu listen to mainstream music, you can't deny her appearence has caused a huge shift.. and there is a reason, she has fucking talent.

Leo-J. I'm not here to talk about Lady Gaga. Whatever. 

But this whole paragraph you just typed? I have never heard somebody sound so confident of their knowledge of music while actually being so massively ignorant. I'm not trying to bash you, but you literally have no idea what you're talking about. 

I'm an English/Music major. I've taken tons of music history, theory, etc classes. I read several music magaxines a month. Go to pitchfork and a few other websites every day. Listen to music reaching back decades and decades.

And I still don't think I know that much compared to some people. I try to be humble and admit that there are people who know far, far more than me, simply because they've been around longer and seen more.

This is why people get annoyed with your gushing love for Gaga. Your proclaim her to be all the things that she really isn't, and it's mainly because you're viewing her through the extremely limited scope of a teenaged boy. Grow up, gain some perspective, learn more music history, then we'll see how innovative and groundbreaking you think Lady Gaga is. 

She's a lot of things. A lot of good things. But innovative and groundbreaking are certainly not among them. Nor did she bring dance/"techno" mainstream (not techno by the way, but whatever). I mean, hell. Kanye had 808 and Heartbreaks, a pure-electro album, out before Gaga. And that's just one of tons of examples. 

She's a pop star. Pop stars are by definition cyclical: there's nothing about her that hasn't been done before, and better. She's a regurgitated amalgam of other genres and past trends.  

Oh please don't even fucking go with me right there, I am not basing it off my own opinion my friend I am basing it off trends. As you base your opnion off the MALE STRATUM and automatically label her as a piece of crap because she is a pop artist. I admit she isn't COMPLETELY DIFFERENT considering the fact she takes her inspirations from GRACE JONES, AND DAVID BOWIE, but to say she isn't doing anything and just recycling everything from the past is pure ignorance.

NOT ONE ARTIST IN HISTORY has delivered the SHOCK and DRAMTIC REPRESENTATION OF ARTISTIC DISPLAY IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, hell I'd say she is in it to pass MICHAEL JACKSON AND MADONNA. PERIOD. - QUOTED FROM MTV

@mrstickball

She WAS REJECTED BY POP you guys just HATE her. She said it in an interview, if she was a male doing heavy metal, all of you would be nuts and call her a rockstar. There is a reason every pop artist today is IMITATING HER.

mM

The world is only as deep as we can see it, and so even fools thinks themselves profound.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

leo-j said:
blaydcor said:
leo-j said:
Rath said:
luisgvm said:

wow so many haters here!!. well you know what they say. when someone reach an amazing success the envy comes. lady gaga have this incredible success because of something simple. her music is amazing. and therefore a lot of people wants to hear it. lady gaga does things that has been done before????. oh please. the one who said that havent seen all the videos of her. i mean really????. something like bad romance or telephone have been done before???. mmm...

If it was envy that made people dislike her then don't you think they'd dislike all successful musicians? I always find it hard to fathom how people can't understand that some people simply don't like her music.

What I find pathetic is how people generally develope an expectation just because X artist is popular, out of the blue 90% of the posters here around a year ago said "She can't sing, She's manufactured, She doesn't write music" because she is a pop artist..

You don't realize it because you don't follow pop music as hard as I do.. Before lady gaga, you were right to categorize all pop musicans as manufactured/not being able to sing/not writing there music. She has made the entire pop industry work 10 times harder than they used to. They have all stepped up there game to keep up with this women. You have majore fucking bands and artists like DAUGHTRY, PARAMOORE, 30 SECOUNDS TO MARS, GREEN DAY, and more pay tribute to this women, it's not that I like her, it's the fact she has clearly had impact on music. I'm not even joking here, you guys may not even notice it because you guys don't care, but I honestly have noticed, before her DANCE/TECHNO/POP music did not exist on mainstream radio, all of a sudden christina aguilera changes her entire fucking look and sound, a year after lady gaga's "take over" year. Usher is doing techno, T Pain is doing techno, DR DRE is doing techno, AKON himself has said she has flipped a switch and changed things.

If oyu listen to mainstream music, you can't deny her appearence has caused a huge shift.. and there is a reason, she has fucking talent.

But this whole paragraph you just typed? I have never heard somebody sound so confident of their knowledge of music while actually being so massively ignorant. I'm not trying to bash you, but you literally have no idea what you're talking about. 

I'm an English/Music major. I've taken tons of music history, theory, etc classes. I read several music magaxines a month. Go to pitchfork and a few other websites every day. Listen to music reaching back decades and decades.

And I still don't think I know that much compared to some people. I try to be humble and admit that there are people who know far, far more than me, simply because they've been around longer and seen more.

This is why people get annoyed with your gushing love for Gaga. Your proclaim her to be all the things that she really isn't, and it's mainly because you're viewing her through the extremely limited scope of a teenaged boy. Grow up, gain some perspective, learn more music history, then we'll see how innovative and groundbreaking you think Lady Gaga is. 

She's a lot of things. A lot of good things. But innovative and groundbreaking are certainly not among them. Nor did she bring dance/"techno" mainstream (not techno by the way, but whatever). I mean, hell. Kanye had 808 and Heartbreaks, a pure-electro album, out before Gaga. And that's just one of tons of examples. 

She's a pop star. Pop stars are by definition cyclical: there's nothing about her that hasn't been done before, and better. She's a regurgitated amalgam of other genres and past trends.  

Oh please don't even fucking go with me right there, I am not basing it off my own opinion my friend I am basing it off trends. As you base your opnion off the MALE STRATUM and automatically label her as a piece of crap because she is a pop artist. I admit she isn't COMPLETELY DIFFERENT considering the fact she takes her inspirations from GRACE JONES, AND DAVID BOWIE, but to say she isn't doing anything and just recycling everything from the past is pure ignorance.

NOT ONE ARTIST IN HISTORY has delivered the SHOCK and DRAMTIC REPRESENTATION OF ARTISTIC DISPLAY IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY, hell I'd say she is in it to pass MICHAEL JACKSON AND MADONNA. PERIOD. - QUOTED FROM MTV

@mrstickball

She WAS REJECTED BY POP you guys just HATE her. She said it in an interview, if she was a male doing heavy metal, all of you would be nuts and call her a rockstar. There is a reason every pop artist today is IMITATING HER.

Like I said before, the people that imitate her or follow the trend are not a good measure seeing they will follow anything popular, their music is crap and they rely on image to stay alive in the media. Also, MTV isnt recognized by appealing to high music tastes and more like appealing to teens and kids with a few exceptions, so anything they might have possibly said is limited to that segment which lacks great artists.

And I hate that bullshit that because its girl music we dont like it and if it was heavy metal we would, I tell you, the reason people respect heavy metal is because it requieres a higher level of musical training and experience than pop music, a lot more. People respect U2 a pop rock band, that a lot of girls listen, because Bono is a great singer, they have depth in composition, the edge has created amazing guitar effects, etc...

So its not hating pop music just because its pop, or because girls listen to it, it just happens that most girl pop music suck because these girls havent developed their ears and probably never will, so they get happy with any simpe beat that leads them to dance and its sticky.

Damnit, that's it.

Leo-J, you can't back up your own opinions without pulling the sexism card. You bring it up every time without fail. Just don't bother responding if you're going to say something stupid like that. Hell, if you actually cared about women in music, you'd be listening to women who really paved the way for female success in the music industry (The Supremes, Aretha Franklin, etc.).

Around the Network

Maybe you read some blurb about her being inspired by Grace Jones, but have you actually watched any Grace Jones music videos from the early 80's? Blows Gaga out of the galaxy.

Grace Jones also smacked a talk show host in the face on live television. She's hardcore. At the age of 58 she allegedly took off her clothes at a Delta Airlines party and said she was the QUEEN BITCH JUNGLE MOTHER OF NEW YORK. Lady Gaga's got catching up to do.

Grace Jones was more naked, had more avant-garde fashion, more innovative videos, and more shock value. There's a reason that Lady Gaga asked Grace Jones if they could work together, and there's a reason Grace Jones said no.

This interview with Grace Jones was posted online today (I don't know why the questions are awkwardly in 3rd person): http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/apr/17/grace-jones-interview

Any number of artists have asked to collaborate with her. Was Lady Gaga one of them?

"I just don't play with other acts as a rule," she says, with rare discretion.

What does she think of her? "I really don't think of her at all. I go about my business."

Has she copied her? "Well, you know, I've seen some things she's worn that I've worn, and that does kind of piss me off."

Is she talented? "I wouldn't go to see her."

So, did she ask to play with her? "Yes, she did, but I said no. I'd just prefer to work with someone who is more original and someone who is not copying me, actually."

leo-j said:
blaydcor said:
leo-j said:

@mrstickball

A rockstar doesn't equal talent, either. Chad Kroger is one of the more popular rock musicians out there, but that doesn't make him talented at all.

Here are some great lines by Lady Gaga:

• 'I want to take a ride on your disco stick'
  • 'Oh, oh oh, I'll get him hot, show him what I've got'
  • 'Whats going on the floor? I love this song but I can't see straight anymore'

Yeah, real poetry going on there :-\

I don't care if she was rejected by pop. She is still in that group of massively processed musicians that require hundreds of people to support her album. That isn't an artist, thats a marketing tool. I wonder, Leo-J - do you play any instruments at all? Study music history?

I respect plenty of female musicians. I like Lady GaGa in some ways - she creates very catchy hooks. However, I prefer my music to be a little more cerebral than a good hook, since her lyrics are mostly trash.

I gave you the Orianthi video. Look at who she is playing with, and keeping well up with. Do you know who Steve Vai is? How often do you see GaGa co-composing with the technical greats of the piano? Of vocalists with incredible range?

All Gaga is giving to the industry is crazy fashion. 30 years from now, we won't remember GaGa. We'll remember Aretha Franklin, Joan Jett (who is getting a lot of recognition these days - proof she has been a great musician), Huston, Madonna, and such, but we sure as heck won't remember GaGa very well.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

For fucks sake leo.

What? Who quoted me?

MontanaHatchet said:
What? Who quoted me?

Haha, sorry Montana. Quoted you but deleted the quote box before I posted. I was going to agree with you but figured it was implied.