By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Is apple new evel empire ?

Apple: An Evil Empire in the Making?

Is the adored, charismatic Apple CEO Steve Jobs secretly the Dark Lord of the Sith in a black turtleneck? The buzz in the universe is that we're all being duped, like Jar-Jar Binks of the Senate Republic stupidly voting for our own enslavement. (Okay, no more Star Wars references.)

http://advice.cio.com/tom_kaneshige/10032/apple_an_evil_empire_in_the_making

So what do you guys is the writer right or not at all ? :)

I'd say definitly yes.

PS. I love how he put all those Star wars references there

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
Zlejedi said:

Is the adored, charismatic Apple CEO Steve Jobs secretly the Dark Lord of the Sith in a black turtleneck? The buzz in the universe is that we're all being duped, like Jar-Jar Binks of the Senate Republic stupidly voting for our own enslavement. (Okay, no more Star Wars references.)

I'd say definitly yes.

People have been paying for the Apple name blindy for a very long time. Evil empire, maybe. New, no.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

LOL, apple is obviously pro html5 just because they're having prime interest behind spreading h.260 codec. I wouldn't call this "evil", it's just a business.

IDK, at the very most I'll just say that they're sleezy salesmen, or pseudo intellectuals that try to impress you. Nothing they've done seems aggressive, it's more like they attract us, or we came to them.

Apple hasn't changed. They're still sleazy salesman, they just have more successful products right now.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
valen200 said:
Zlejedi said:

I'd say definitly yes.

People have been paying for the Apple name blindy for a very long time. Evil empire, maybe. New, no.

At least people choose Apple, while they accepted Windows, and before it, MSDOS, preinstalled for decennia without discussing. The evil empire is still MS, maybe Apple is just the posh side of the dark side of the Force. 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

MDMAniac said:
LOL, apple is obviously pro html5 just because they're having prime interest behind spreading h.260 codec. I wouldn't call this "evil", it's just a business.

I suspect Apple's html5 push has more to do with Apple not wanting the web experience on their devices to be defined by other companies, such as Adobe (through Flash) or Microsoft (through IE's near-dominance and lack of adherence to web standards back in version 6).

If web pages are designed to only work with Flash or IE, Apple has to march to somebody else's beat. If pages are built around an open standard, Apple can build WebKit to interpret that standard however they like.

To put it another way, Apple isn't interested in control of the web, they just want control over their own devices, and that means preventing other companies from controlling the web. The main advantage that Apple gains from propagating the h.264 codec is that it undermines Flash's dominance as a proprietary medium on the web.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

It's not new, it always have been (to me). Apple is extremely closed, their computers, softwares works only on their computers, they want to sell whatever software, music, video.. and they make a way that only their software works on it.

It's not just adobe, but google and many other companies have their software refused to work on apples prodcts, it's not like microsoft that make it work on any hardware builder and any softare to work on their stuff.

People just don't see it.. becouse Apple is "cool".

Till today people think that their computers are faster than PC's.. ahhahhaha

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10297618-37.html

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/01/google-software-update-refuses-to-be-uninstalled.ars

Apple is not an evil empire... They want to control their products, as any other company that does propietary stuff, Sony removed Other OS, MS banned people from XboxLive, Ubisoft put a crazy DRM for PC games, Ninty did 2 generations without standard discs, etc.

Besides, if you don't want to buy an MAC, iPod, iPhone or iPad, there are a lot of other options out there, some are even better, the thing is, Apple makes those products as the "cool way", and if people fall into that marketing strategy, that's their problem, but they don't have monopoly of anything right now...

The Anarchyz said:
Apple is not an evil empire... They want to control their products, as any other company that does propietary stuff, Sony removed Other OS, MS banned people from XboxLive, Ubisoft put a crazy DRM for PC games, Ninty did 2 generations without standard discs, etc.

Besides, if you don't want to buy an MAC, iPod, iPhone or iPad, there are a lot of other options out there, some are even better, the thing is, Apple makes those products as the "cool way", and if people fall into that marketing strategy, that's their problem, but they don't have monopoly of anything right now...

It isn't just that apple makes things some cool way or whatever, they are the best in class products for everything except maybe set top boxes (the Apple TV is seriously flawed in a lot of ways).

The iphone is pretty much universally considered the gold standard for phones with just about every major tech reviewer calling it as such. Android, which is the only platform in contention, is more or less a cheap rip off of 90% of the iphone with some other things added in like menus which tend to be a step in the wrong direction.

Good luck finding a better platform then the ipod touch. The Zune is missing the apps, the games, the quality itunes store and much much more. There is a reason that there are 30 ipods and even a few weird sandisk players ahead of the Zune on Amazon where the Zune is 80th.

The mac is still, as it has always been, a more stable, faster and better performing OS then Windows unless you are part of a very narrow market that only likes hard core games and isn't willing to just boot camp into windows once in a while. The mac pro always has the best tech in it available, the imac is the highest performing all in one by far and the laptops all top consumer reports best list usually be 15 to 20 points on a 100 point scale.

Apple is also number one in reliability, customer service and ease of use according to just about every consumer survey. If your Lenovo craps out you have to try to send it by mail to their central location and wait who knows how long without any real support (if you call their number you're lucky if you get someone from India who has any idea what you're talking about.) If your mac craps out you take it to one of hundreds of Apple stores, they fix easy problems for you right there and they fix harder problems for you within a few days at the most when you drop it off at the retail location.

As to the evil empire thing, I look at the advantages of an integrated platform that runs only approved hardware and software. I love that my iphone almost never crashes, never gets viruses and is extremely easy to use. I would rather have high quality apps coded specifically for hte iphone instead of crappy ports of flash apps. Compare the pretty good iphone kindle app that was made natively with the horrid kindle app on the mac which was exported using middleware tools.

In a similar vein compare natively made PS3 games like God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 with middleware port games that are on the 360 as well, there is a vast difference in quality in favor of the platform specific code.

If you want an open system Linux is always there, have at it, but I'm perfectly happy with a fully integrated high quality experience.

This isn't like the windows monopoly where you were forced into using really low quality products by the long arm of Microsofts monopoly powers. The Apple products are the best overall so using them is very seldom any kind of sacrifice.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me