By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Pachter: Slim 360, Natal and 250GB HDD to be bundled for $299

gekkokamen said:
@nightsurge

"Unless you mean to show me how the inferior product can win based on dev support? HD-DVD was better in nearly every imagineable way over blu-ray. Costs of players and discs, their read speeds, capabilities, etc."

dude you're nothing but a troll and a blind fanboy, it only took that crap to make you come out of the closet, LOL!

Ignorance must be bliss.  HD-DVD was superior to Blu-Ray in almost every conceivable way.  I'm sorry you are to blind to see that.  This is not fanboyism or trolling, it is fact based on their own capabilities, specs, etc at the time before HD-DVD was discontinued.

Seriously, you are only continuously making yourself look even more foolish.

Around the Network

@nightsurge

yeah, you seem to know it all. I think I will make you my God, lol. All hail nightsurge!

gekkokamen said:
@nightsurge

yeah, you seem to know it all. I think I will make you my God, lol. All hail nightsurge!

I don't know it all.  But feel free to praise me.  I just pity that you think you know things that you don't, and are too lazy to find out otherwise.  Oh well, ignorance is bliss as they say.  All hail NightSurge!

Reasons why HD-DVD was better:

• HD-DVD players were cheaper to purchase
  • HD-DVD players were unified spec (all had networking support long befor it became common place in Blu-Ray players and for much cheaper still)
  • HD-DVD discs/movies were cheaper
  • HD-DVD drives had faster read speeds than Blu-Ray
  • HD-DVD used similar pressing technology to DVD so it was easy to manufacture and easy to produce combo HD-DVD/DVD discs.  (I had 300 which was a combo HD-DVD/DVD disc for only $5 more than the standard DVD back in the day, for example)

The only place that Blu-Ray lead was in overall capacity, but even then it was only a slim margin.  HD-DVDs were going to be expanded to 64GB of space per disc and even higher, but they didn't last long enough.  Blu-Ray won the HD war because it claimed the majority of support from movie publishers and it had the added benefit of being a gaming platform as well.

nightsurge said:

Hmmm... so you are saying that since I use readily available information to back up my arguments they aren't as good as your simple personal beliefs and statements without any such support?  Interesting.  I guess I am expected to bow to your knowledge of the future.

I don't see what being an expert on SCE of Xbox finances has to do with what each console loses/makes.  I know for a fact Sony is still taking a loss and that even with the changes suggested (200 gram reduction and RSX size shrink) would only move them to a small profit.  This is from my general experience in computer hardware and having personally seen the results of die shrinks on costs many times in the past.  This knowledge I would have thought was very common as it has all been on VGChartz at one point or another.  Just because I don't feel the need to spoon feed everything to you doesn't mean you can just count it all off as nothing.  Do your own research.  You are grown up enough, are you not?

A PS3 + Move Bundle right now would cost $399 or more (Move bundle includes PSEye + Wand + Nunchuck + Game, the Move standalone pack is just Wand + PS Eye + game).  I said that if they are able to cut costs they could bring it down to $349 which still might be taking a small loss or just breaking even.  Sure Sony can launch a $300 PS3 Move bundle, but it will put them deap in the red again.

In addition to this, its quite possible that the yields on the 45nm RSX chips aren't as good as what they'd like at present considering the shortages and delays in getting the 45nm RSX into production quantities. Overall even now the PS3 is still likely more expensive to produce than the Xbox 360 Elite, and thats factoring in the 45nm RSX reduction, then on top of that you'd have to also consider the $10 charge for Blu Ray playback etc and likely Nvidia stiffing them on royalties.

The Xbox 360 Slim looks pretty dirt cheap to produce. Between a significant reduction in board complexity, those trace lines between the CPU/GPU are expensive and using 1Gbit GDDR3 as well as cutting the silicon costs in half  along with reduced power supply and heat disipation complexity, it'll probably be at least a $50 saving. If Microsoft were to be interested, they could possibly sell the Xbox 360 for less than $299 without taking more than a marginal loss on the console with Natal.

Tease.

oh Lord I've seen the lights!

Well, how about that Patcher, he's been way off before right?

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
gekkokamen said:
@nightsurge

I don't know it all.  But feel free to praise me.  I just pity that you think you know things that you don't, and are too lazy to find out otherwise.  Oh well, ignorance is bliss as they say.  All hail NightSurge!

• HD-DVD players were cheaper to purchase (due to competition, selling at hight loss, Toshiba paid for that, dearly)
  • HD-DVD players were unified spec (all had networking support long befor it became common place in Blu-Ray players and for much cheaper still) yay! that will win the format war...good, but not enough, meh.
  • HD-DVD discs/movies were cheaper (due to competition, selling at a loss, same thing, completely irrelevant)
  • HD-DVD drives had faster read speeds than Blu-Ray (not enough to make it that much better either)
  • HD-DVD used similar pressing technology to DVD so it was easy to manufacture and easy to produce combo HD-DVD/DVD discs.  (I had 300 which was a combo HD-DVD/DVD disc for only $5 more than the standard DVD back in the day, for example) (yeah, that's a definite plus, but I'd rather have a superior technology today, not DVD 1.2)

The only place that Blu-Ray lead was in overall capacity, but even then it was only a slim margin.  HD-DVDs were going to be expanded to 64GB of space per disc and even higher, but they didn't last long enough.  Blu-Ray won the HD war because it claimed the majority of support from movie publishers and it had the added benefit of being a gaming platform as well. Slim margin? Blu-ray is already being expanded to over 150GB and you are telling me about margins? Blu-ray movies today, over 30 mbps high bitrate 1080p, 7.1 true Dolby HD audio you think that shit is possible on 14gigs? 27gigs? lol, is that all you got? save your typing next time, I may not be around and people will be harsher to you, trust me, don't take all that nonsense into a tech forum you'll get eaten by pieces.

This is derailing the thred quite a bit don't you think. Anyway, I posted my replies to all that nonsense you spouted, lol.

MSFT should have learned from sony.....adding features and keeping your price point DOES NOT equate to a price cut in consumer minds.

MSFT would be much better off dropping the price to $250 for the 120 gig and then maybe a 250gb natal bundle for $350 or something.

IF MSFT wants to treat Natal like anew console launch however, theyre going to have a rough time upping the price, so its probably going to have to stay at $299 for the bundle....and then in that sense i think theres a lot to be said for the difference in consumers minds when it comes to adding features but keeping the entry price the same.

It may not be a good decision, but if they are committed to bundling, they may just have to release the bundle at $299 but theyll have to drop an SKU to $250, imo.

for once he makes some sense and could be true.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

gekkokamen said:
nightsurge said:
gekkokamen said:
@nightsurge

• HD-DVD players were cheaper to purchase (due to competition, selling at hight loss, Toshiba paid for that, dearly)
  • HD-DVD players were unified spec (all had networking support long befor it became common place in Blu-Ray players and for much cheaper still) yay! that will win the format war...good, but not enough, meh.
  • HD-DVD discs/movies were cheaper (due to competition, selling at a loss, same thing, completely irrelevant)
  • HD-DVD drives had faster read speeds than Blu-Ray (not enough to make it that much better either)
  • HD-DVD used similar pressing technology to DVD so it was easy to manufacture and easy to produce combo HD-DVD/DVD discs.  (I had 300 which was a combo HD-DVD/DVD disc for only $5 more than the standard DVD back in the day, for example) (yeah, that's a definite plus, but I'd rather have a superior technology today, not DVD 1.2)

The only place that Blu-Ray lead was in overall capacity, but even then it was only a slim margin.  HD-DVDs were going to be expanded to 64GB of space per disc and even higher, but they didn't last long enough.  Blu-Ray won the HD war because it claimed the majority of support from movie publishers and it had the added benefit of being a gaming platform as well. Slim margin? Blu-ray is already being expanded to over 150GB and you are telling me about margins? Blu-ray movies today, over 30 mbps high bitrate 1080p, 7.1 true Dolby HD audio you think that shit is possible on 14gigs? 27gigs? lol, is that all you got? save your typing next time, I may not be around and people will be harsher to you, trust me, don't take all that nonsense into a tech forum you'll get eaten by pieces.

This is derailing the thred quite a bit don't you think. Anyway, I posted my replies to all that nonsense you spouted, lol.

Thats all such a bother. Funny thing is thus far Sony probably lost more on Blu Ray than Toshiba lost on HD-DVD. Oh and Toshiba also scored a neat set of fabs which Sony had spent billions upgrading for a mere pittance which probably more than offset their HD-DVD losses. Winner, Toshiba!!!!

Tease.

You gotta love the internet. You come in expecting a thread about Natal but the last few pages are a bunch of quotes about the tech specs of HD-DVD. How on Earth did it come to this?