By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Consolitis... Ugh

max power said:

First off, let me say that I have nothing against consoles.  I've had a console every generation from the NES to the current one.  Some genres I prefer on PC, some I prefer on console... that said...

I keep seeing "Top 10 FPS of all time" lists (which I should just ignore) written by people who never played an FPS on a PC, or before 2000.
http://www.joystickdivision.com/2010/04/the_top_ten_first_person_shoot.php
http://screwattack.com/videos/Top-10-FPS-Games-Ever

Nothing against Goldeneye or Halo, but they simply don't belong on these lists.  FPS's were called "Doom clones" for the better part of the 90's, and for good reason. 

I mean, when Halo was finally released for PC, it got mediocre-crappy reviews... and deserved all of them.  The game simply wasn't that good.  I think the only people who were impressed with the game, were those who had never played an FPS before.

Of course, who cares about top 10 lists, that doesn't really effect anyone, right?  Right... but that takes us to the crux of the problem: MW2

Now I don't really game on XBL or PSN.  I kinda figured the games played the same on those services as they do on PC... dedicated servers, 32/64+ players, etc.  But apparently they didn't (for the most part).  Console gaming hadn't even caught up to Quake in terms of online play. 

And now developers are impairing PC games to "catch them up" to console gaming's crappiness.

I just think it sucks and this is my rant on it.

At least you are partially right about the doom clone thing:

You really aren't that good at trolling are you? I had played FPSes before Halo, namely Doom and GoldenEye. But Halo actually had a story. Something FPSes really didn't have before 2001. Except for Half-Life.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
mirgro said:
Squilliam said:

sum it up, if console gamers were to wisen up, and actually play old FPS games, they'd probably be bitching as much as PC gamers are right now. Except they aren't so they just don't know what they should be asking of developers, thus giving developers the excuse to release shit games.

-Never been asked a dime for content up until some time after 2006, after the consoles hit.

Never seen an expansion pack?

-Never has matchmaking been the only way to play online

It isn't. You can also play with your friends.

- Only games with limited guns were ones that actually required strategy, a la Delta Force, and trust me, none of the shooters out right now have even a fraction of the tactics of those games. Wolf3D did it because of a limitation, just as consoles are doing it because of a limitation, thjough a different kind.

I don't really see a problem with it. I don't really remember ever thinking man I wish I could hold 3 rifles. You know, you can only use one at a time right? I also don't go around complaining about the people who play with crosshairs in PC FPS games and yet crosshairs are such an obvious thing that you don't need with a mouse... maybe live and let live?

-Wolf3D was the very first of FPS games, literally the first. It was slow, again due to limitation, the very next game, DOOM is already faster than all console shooters released. Very very sad that consoles can't even handle a game type from early '90s.

Thats not true, Doom has been released on the Xbox 360.

-Repetative gameplay is not cherrypicking, any repetative shooters on the PC never got over low 80s, usually in the 70s at best. Meanwhile you consistently have games with gameplay that is copy pasted, Halo even copied the level designs, get extremely high scores.

All FPS games are repetitive. You have a gun and you shoot things over and over again.

-SKill = reflexes + tactics. Currently there is no games out there that requires the reflexes of UT, or the tactics of CSS. They just take a lot less skill, more about that later.

In most likelihood the most skilled computer game players are probably Starcraft players given the level of competition and the number of players. 

-After BF2 how many leveling systems did you see on the PC? 0. I rest my case.

There was Modern Warfare... Also I remember leveling up in RPG games.

-There is no way you can spin lack of mods and SDK into  a positive thing, especially added to my first point. The video gaming industry is the only one that removes features and asks more money for them as time progresses.

Its a feature of the platform. Closed box = simplicity. Its the same reason why people watch cable instead of going on Youtube and selecting their own shows. People like the consistancy and simplicity of being fed content rather than going out to find it themselves.

-Saying HL1 has the same amount of models as Halo is kind of pathetic, considering HL1 came out 3 years before Halo, and it still managed to have more models for online play than Halo has ever had, even right now. The last time there was only one model was probably DOOM2. THis is just fail.

I've never seen reviewers split model count into a seperate category. I don't think its worth mentioning for most people, yeah.

This is why games in general, not just shooters, have started to suck terribly since 2006. This is a quote from DICE, the guys behind Battlefield:

"Gordon Van Dyke: It's not a shift in focus, but more like somewhere we wanted to explore. I think what happened was, consoles have reached a level where we could introduce people to something we had been giving to PC players for quite a while. It was an exciting opportunity. So we really focused on that. There are more expectations of us, for the PC game. It almost kind of makes you weary, you get nervous, you put these unrealistic expectations on yourself as a developer. You forget that the whole premise is to get something out there that's really fun. We realized that BC2 was going to provide that. We have a lot to live up to on the PC, and I think the original Bad Company's focus was to kind of...reintroduce Battlefield to a new audience on the console. BC2 is like, maybe in retrospect, we could have given BC1 to the PC but we didn't. We didn't feel like it was worth it to go back and try and do that, but we thought, "Well, let's give them BC2." It lived up to expectations, I think, what PC players were expecting. Especially for a new engine."

Games in general suck? Thats ok. For every one hardened PC gamer who falls about 3 ignorant console gamers take his place. If you quit gaming, there will be like 3 console gamers who'll take your place.

To sum it up, if console gamers were to wisen up, and actually play old FPS games, they'd probably be bitching as much as PC gamers are right now. Except they aren't so they just don't know what they should be asking of developers, thus giving developers the excuse to release shit games.

I suspect they just play the damn games. If its fun = good, if its not = sucks. Pretty awesome and simple way to describe video games. Also many of the so called console gamers were once PC gamers so its not like they didn't sample the fruit on the other side of the fence.

-15$ for 4 maps, 2 of which are old, vs $20 dollars for doazens of mpas, brand spanking new single-player with about 10hours of play, more in other cases, and an improvemenet to the included SDK/modding

-It sure is, I don't play with friends unless they were my clanmates, which I met through their servers. Huge fail right there of matchmaking.

-There is a huge problem with it. If you could hold more rifles at teh same time, maybe developers wouldn't create the same damn thing, with 7 different skins, and just tweak their properties a tiny bit. Also mouse needs crosshairs, see PC gamers need skill since they don't have auto-aim to rely on.

-And I bet you ahev to scroll through all of your weapons in order to get to them in DOOM. Just shows you how horrible the control scheme is.

-You obviously don't know shit about shooters then. Or what is probably the case, you have been playing too much of the recent shitty ones, which still means you don't know shit about them anymore.

-Yes, Starcraft players are very skilled. The fact still remains that games like CS and UT take far more skill than today's noob-friendly games. Also, auto-aim.

-Modern Warfare was pretty shitty too. CoD was never that big a deal, and the best game was CoD1. Every subsequent game has been worse than the previous.

-That is an utterly false statement. If that were true, Hulu would never have gained traction. The problem is that the people who use the simple things just don't know better. Then you tell them about Hulu and it's "OMG THAT IS SO AWESOME!" Even your analogy fails hard. Modding and SDK also don't mean simplicity. The game is still just plug and play, it only becomes harder if you want to mod your game. If you want to add maps, and you don't know how to copy paste into a folder, then you go play a console. Very representative of the knowledge of console gamers.

-Model counts, as well a gun variety, used to be a pretty big deal, up until this generation hit where people don't even know about games that have more than 2 models.

-For every 1 PC gamer that falls, the shooter genre  becomes ever more a synonym for "crap."

-I tried BC2, I got to level 22 and I have never looked back. I am back to playing CS for the tactical shooters and I never really stopped playing Quake to trest my true skill in shooters. Also, you are completely wrong. The majority of PC gamers are not fond of current shooters. Only the ones who regularly got pounded their faces in the dirt in UT, Quake, CS, or BF are actually happy now, since they don't feel like the noobs they are with the recent shooters.

As for RPGs, I can post very simple maths of the amount of things youcould do in a 2000 RPG and the amount of things you could do in a 2009 RPG and the difference would be apalling.

Snesboy said:

At least you are partially right about the doom clone thing:

You really aren't that good at trolling are you? I had played FPSes before Halo, namely Doom and GoldenEye. But Halo actually had a story. Something FPSes really didn't have before 2001. Except for Half-Life.

Except for Half-Life.
And Deus Ex.
And System Shock 1 & 2.
And Dark Forces / Jedi Knight.

I could go on...

And thank you for further proving how noobs think that Halo practically invented videogaming :D

I actually prefer the console controller, because it feels more controlled. A lot of PC shooters have you aiming all over the place. Maybe I'm just used to my 360. I still love PC games. Just as far as shooters go, I prefer the consoles.

These three need more love from the PC crowd.

I love my consoles.  JRPGs, Hack and Slash, Sports Games and others are amazing genres on the consoles.  WRPGs just always seemed to play better and be better suited for the PC.  Mass Effects, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, and Oblivion are amazing games on the consoles, but I prefer them on the PC.  It just feels better.  I have never been a fan of FPS's on anything other than the PC.