By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 39% Of Gamers Who Plan To Buy GT5 Do Not Yet Own A PS3

It will be PS3's biggest console mover in its lifetime

Around the Network

After a quick look through of their past research, they don't seem all that reliable.

GamePlan predicted that there would be a shift of MW owners on 360 to purchase MW2 on PS3 instead. Implying higher sales for the PS3 version of MW2 than what actually happened. In fact the ratio seems to have remained the same or even grown in 360's favor for MW2 sales between the 2 consoles.

I can't even view their website because my business for some reason has it blocked. Not sure why considering it doesn't block facebook, VGChartz, or any other of my sites I try to go to.

And as someone else mentioned, it states they polled 1000 gamers and that the ones that planned to get GT5, 39% don't have a PS3.  So of that 1000 gamer poll, what if only 100 claimed to be buying GT5?  That would mean only 39 our of 1000 people polled didn't already have a PS3 for GT5.  Without more detailed data as to what was collected that 39% figure is meaningless.  What if everyone they surveyed were huge racing fans?  What if everyone they surveyed were all shooter fans and only 12 people out of that even said they were going to be buying GT5?  That would only require like 5 people to say they don't have a PS3 yet.

I'm just asking for more detailed data if anyone can find any.

nightsurge said:
theprof00 said:
r505Matt said:
De85 said:
Galaki said:
Yeah, a survey of 1000 is very... researchy.

Um, yes actually, it can be.  During elections most polls are taken with similar sample sizes.  What matters is getting a sample that is statistically representative of the population.

@topic: That's more than I would have guessed, so I'd like to see more about the survey methodology.  If true though the PS3 could be shaping up to have a monster fall.

Exactly, they didn't really describe their sample, and I have a feeling that it may not be a good representation. I really wish they explained the research better, as it stands, it just looks like they could have pulled the number out of a hat.

I would expect a more scientific approach just like on Sciencedaily.com where they pretty much show a lot more information for studies. Here's a decent example of how to report findings of a study:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100405174942.htm

They don't explain every detail in the study, but thoroughly explain the study's set-up and conclusions/trends. The "39%" study just shows conclusions, not very professional at all. 

We don't publish how we gather data either. I guess you should stop coming to this site for numbers then. FYI it's called protecting the business property.

That's different though.  VGC's business is in gathering and revealing the numbers.  If they revealed their sources and methods, they would lose business to other copycats.  Research firms, however, are in the business of giving detailed data regarding a topic.  Their purpose is to reveal all their charts, data, methodology to show why their conclusion is concrete.  Otherwise, no one would pay them to do research.

Well, their business is obviously not towards the public, but to companies that pay for it. Hence, why we aren't getting that data. Look at their website. They have a lot of credentials and recognition. I'm not saying that they are 100% right and I'm ont defending their methods, but you can't say it's wrong just because they didn't tell you in detail.

nightsurge said:
theprof00 said:
r505Matt said:
De85 said:
Galaki said:
Yeah, a survey of 1000 is very... researchy.

Um, yes actually, it can be.  During elections most polls are taken with similar sample sizes.  What matters is getting a sample that is statistically representative of the population.

@topic: That's more than I would have guessed, so I'd like to see more about the survey methodology.  If true though the PS3 could be shaping up to have a monster fall.

Exactly, they didn't really describe their sample, and I have a feeling that it may not be a good representation. I really wish they explained the research better, as it stands, it just looks like they could have pulled the number out of a hat.

I would expect a more scientific approach just like on Sciencedaily.com where they pretty much show a lot more information for studies. Here's a decent example of how to report findings of a study:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100405174942.htm

They don't explain every detail in the study, but thoroughly explain the study's set-up and conclusions/trends. The "39%" study just shows conclusions, not very professional at all. 

We don't publish how we gather data either. I guess you should stop coming to this site for numbers then. FYI it's called protecting the business property.

That's different though.  VGC's business is in gathering and revealing the numbers.  If they revealed their sources and methods, they would lose business to other copycats.  Research firms, however, are in the business of giving detailed data regarding a topic.  Their purpose is to reveal all their charts, data, methodology to show why their conclusion is concrete.  Otherwise, no one would pay them to do research.

Way to put that far more eloquently than I did =)

I think they give their clients the full data, but it seems it's hidden from the public. No clue as to why, but it just screams "shady" to me. Otherwise what's to stop them (GamePlan) from setting themselves up to seem like a reputable research firm, but then for an extra buck, can release misleading and deceptive research results. Not saying this is the case, but when they don't show the data, I like to speculate =)

Wow that's crazy. GT5 could be a huge hardware seller!

Around the Network

^I guess in my reply to those of you that quoted me (didn't want to make large quote string):

Who are the clients then? They seem to do the most random surveys so I just assumed they were mostly independent. It seems odd that clients would ask for stuff like "How many Assassin's Creed purchases on 360 will be buying Assassin's Creed 2 on PS3" and vice versa.

I guess I just wish I had more data on their methods as 1000 gamers (of which not all were GT5 planned buyers, that much is clear), that doesn't seem like much of a good representation of the full picture.

@nightsurge,
No clue, can't find much data, stuff is blocked here too, and it seems like they aren't very transparent.

Um...buying it as gift isn't possible?

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
steverhcp02 said:
ShadowSnake said:
Galaki said:
47% PS3 owners are buying the Wii when SMG2 and Other M comes out.

why wudn they have bought it when the first SMG came out lol?

@ OT, yay, now when i play my ps3, it will be more enjoyable  lol

Why come to a numbers site and be condescending about sales information? Your posting is better suited for IGN.

OT: It may turn out holding off GT until this fall will end up being the best decision Sony made this year, considering Halo Reach is already cruising up the preorder list.

lol dun get your panties all in a bunch. i wwas just kidding because that's how some ppl sound.

my point of my post was more an attack at galaki's comment. while still contributing to the enjoyment of the readers of the thread lol

and as for galaki, i think everyone's already given you a nice enough lecturing about how stats work so i'll spare you, but obviously research was done in coming up with those numbers. can't say the same for you. i'm not saying the way they went about their research was proper in the sense that their sample was representative of the population because i'm too lazy to read up on them, but your comment is so uncalled for. Basically what you're saying is any election polling is shit then because only 1000 ppl were surveyed.

There's a method involved...and last time i checked, it didn't involves any asses (buttholes and donkeys)

nightsurge said:
^I guess in my reply to those of you that quoted me (didn't want to make large quote string):

Who are the clients then? They seem to do the most random surveys so I just assumed they were mostly independent. It seems odd that clients would ask for stuff like "How many Assassin's Creed purchases on 360 will be buying Assassin's Creed 2 on PS3" and vice versa.

I guess I just wish I had more data on their methods as 1000 gamers (of which not all were GT5 planned buyers, that much is clear), that doesn't seem like much of a good representation of the full picture.

ok whatever. I'm not going to pretend to know how they do it so I can't answer your questions. But keep in mind that if you and r505 are just going to ignore it (not saying you aren't justified), then neither of you really have any business dealing in predictions because the entire tracking industry is based off of these kinds of surveys. Whether or not their information is resulted from direct research, or whether it was a funded study or what, is beside the point, honestly. This could be run-off information, or even a singular data-gatherers side-project or interest, or even just brand exposure. To me it doesn't really matter. It's obvious that potential gt5 owners (or any other big exclusive) don't yet own the system.