By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 39% Of Gamers Who Plan To Buy GT5 Do Not Yet Own A PS3

Galaki said:
theprof00 said:
Galaki said:
Yeah, a survey of 1000 is very... researchy.

have you taken college-level stats?

I don't think you even need schooling here. GT5, a single game, is going to sell 6 millions PS3. Don't tell me you are going to believe that.

The survey sound fishy to me.

apparently you do need schooling if you are questioning the validity of the results based on the amount of participants, because 1,000 participants in any survey is considered applicable to a broad population. 

perhaps you should educate yourself on matters before chiming in, it saves yourself the embarrasment of revealing your ignorance and everyone else the trouble of having to point it out to you.

Around the Network
jhuff394 said:

GT5 should be huge for Sony...

Only thing that concerns me is the graphics, I hope they have improved since prologue, and I hope they surpass Forza 3

I can tell you right now that GT5 has improved significantly since Prologue. There was a site that did a comparison (I think GTPlanet) where they compared an off screen shot of GT5 against a screenshot of Prologue of someone racing on the same track and found that the detail were so detailed in GT5 in comparison to Prologue like the skid marks and grass, etc. And GT5 already looks better than Forza 3 anyway so no need to worry about that :D!

@thismeintiel,
Those are 2 simple and solid points. The only thing I have to wonder now is if there's supposed to be something about the study in PS: The Official Magazine, but if there is, they might include more details (but they also might not) so it's not really fair for me to pre-judge like this. But then I wonder how this information got out to Gamer Thirst at all.

Only other thing I have to say is that Saicho has a great point too. It's a very extreme example, but it gets the job done, and really shows the possibility of a very misleading conclusion/report. Not that it really matters in the end, it's not like someone's going to be like "Oh! I guess I'll get a PS3 for GT5 too!" for the most part at least. But it's just weird when a "random" statistic is attached to something like this (I say random because it's random to us). Oh well, it's really not that big of a deal in the end =)

saicho said:
theprof00 said:
saicho said:
thismeintiel said:

After looking at their site, I have no reason to not believe this survey they have conducted.  In 8 years they have become one of the top 25 trackers in the world (#24 to be exact). In fact, their weekly surveys remind me of the weekly political polls conducted here in the US. Everyone seems to qoute them all the time without questioning their exact methods. In fact, I know of no tracking site/service that releases their exact sources and methods. What would be the point? Then anyone could do it themselves. They always just release a general, one sentence explanation about their survey. Oh, something like "OXT’s GamePlan weekly tracking study surveys 1,000 U.S. gamers and buyers including hardcore gamers, casual gamers and everyone in between."

I find it ridiculous that people on a tracking site that does the exact same thing wish to criticize another tracking site. Maybe the survey is saying something people don't like. Something makes me believe that if PS3 was switched with 360 or Wii, and the game was Halo Reach or SMG2, there would be a different response. More in the line of "Awesome, that game is going to sell tons of 360's/Wii's!"

I think you might have missed the point. We are not doubting the "39%" of gamers who plan to buy GT5 do not yet own a PS3. What we have question about is how many gamers out of the 1000 sruveyed plan to buy GT5.

NiKKoM put it nicely in perpective in his post

It looks a lot different if he just post "22 gamers were surveyed and 50% of the gamers who plan to buy Halo Reach do not yet own a XBox360" than "22 gamers were surveyed and 2 plan to buy Halo Reach. 50% of the gamers who plan to buy Halo Reach do not yet own a XBox360."

it doesn't make one lick of difference how many out of the 1000 plan to buy gt5 and a ps3. It's called extrapolation, and through it, you can tell the buying potential of millions upon millions of people. It's not the most accurate thing in the world. Surveying every single person would be the most exact, and even then, not guaranteed. However, there is no survey based firm that does such a thing because it is very very costly and takes a long time. Just look at the US Census to get a good idea of how difficult such a thing is.

I'm sorry that the three of you don't understand statistics. But point after point you have no reason to doubt this. Statistics is very methodical and intricate, and there are many levels of analysis that it goes through.

What I'd like you all to think about, as another set of infered evidence, is that for a company that is 24th in the US in stat tracking, do you really think they would say something if it could be easily proved wrong by any number of 15 year olds on a forum.

Wake up guys.

let me use one extreme example. 1000 gamers surveyed. 3 gamers plan to buy GT5. 1 out of those 3 does not have a PS3 yet.

so I can say "1000 gamers surveyed. 33% of gamers who plan to buy GT5 do not have a PS3 yet." You are telling me you can extrapolate meaningful data from that and tell the buying potential of millions upon millions of people?

I already stated that we are not doubting the number "39%" (or 33% or whatever % it is). We just don't know how meaningful it is based on how it is presented now.

Any company that released that data to anyone would literally go bankrupt soon after. This company is 20th in the US at what it does, and moving still higher. I don't understand how you could even think that your example has some semblance to what they do. Your ability to confuse 3rd-grade rationality with business level statistics, does not bode well.

Sure, you are applying the kind of temperament we've all gained toward "spin", but you have to learn something. When media uses spin, it is because they want you behave in a way that is conducive to their business. When a juice company has "made with 100% juice", it is because they want you to buy the product. That is marketing. When other marketers look at that practice, they say, "that is a really smart way to word it".

Similarly when a company releases stats about a product or its business and makes things look better than normal, it is seen as normal practice, because they are trying to gain the confidence of investors. There is no difference between "100% juice" and using "shipped numbers" or "# of active users".

However, when your trade- when your INDUSTRY, is stat tracking, spinning numbers and releasing information that cannot be supported will get you fired, shut down your business, etc etc. This is because the PRODUCT= STATISTICS. If you are selling a fake product, you will get taken down; HARD. Your example above is akin to completely making the numbers up. There is no difference in the stat community. It's like selling milk when the only thing in the bottle is preservative and water.

DO you really think that any company would stand there and let them do that? DO you think the 26th or 51st ranked companies would idly stand by while another company releases fake numbers and misleading statements? NO. They will discredit them with their own study, and move themselves up, earning themselves a place in the top 25 or top 50.

ANd I agree with strunge, I would be embarrassed if I were any one of you who was questioning the sample population or the stat methodology. I'm not judging you here, and I don't really care what you choose to think, but you all literally talking out of your collective ass.

What's especially funny is how you all appear to be saying "X has a good point, too, in that etc etc", as if others sharing your view somehow makes your idea more valid. It's insane. You're a bunch of uninformed people codeveloping a theory that has no basis on anything. It's like the mentality is that with enough people you can work out the right answer, but what you're forgetting to do randomize your sample....which is ironic. Good luck with your groupthink.

theprof00 said:
saicho said:
theprof00 said:
saicho said:
thismeintiel said:

After looking at their site, I have no reason to not believe this survey they have conducted.  In 8 years they have become one of the top 25 trackers in the world (#24 to be exact). In fact, their weekly surveys remind me of the weekly political polls conducted here in the US. Everyone seems to qoute them all the time without questioning their exact methods. In fact, I know of no tracking site/service that releases their exact sources and methods. What would be the point? Then anyone could do it themselves. They always just release a general, one sentence explanation about their survey. Oh, something like "OXT’s GamePlan weekly tracking study surveys 1,000 U.S. gamers and buyers including hardcore gamers, casual gamers and everyone in between."

I find it ridiculous that people on a tracking site that does the exact same thing wish to criticize another tracking site. Maybe the survey is saying something people don't like. Something makes me believe that if PS3 was switched with 360 or Wii, and the game was Halo Reach or SMG2, there would be a different response. More in the line of "Awesome, that game is going to sell tons of 360's/Wii's!"

I think you might have missed the point. We are not doubting the "39%" of gamers who plan to buy GT5 do not yet own a PS3. What we have question about is how many gamers out of the 1000 sruveyed plan to buy GT5.

It looks a lot different if he just post "22 gamers were surveyed and 50% of the gamers who plan to buy Halo Reach do not yet own a XBox360" than "22 gamers were surveyed and 2 plan to buy Halo Reach. 50% of the gamers who plan to buy Halo Reach do not yet own a XBox360."

it doesn't make one lick of difference how many out of the 1000 plan to buy gt5 and a ps3. It's called extrapolation, and through it, you can tell the buying potential of millions upon millions of people. It's not the most accurate thing in the world. Surveying every single person would be the most exact, and even then, not guaranteed. However, there is no survey based firm that does such a thing because it is very very costly and takes a long time. Just look at the US Census to get a good idea of how difficult such a thing is.

I'm sorry that the three of you don't understand statistics. But point after point you have no reason to doubt this. Statistics is very methodical and intricate, and there are many levels of analysis that it goes through.

What I'd like you all to think about, as another set of infered evidence, is that for a company that is 24th in the US in stat tracking, do you really think they would say something if it could be easily proved wrong by any number of 15 year olds on a forum.

Wake up guys.

let me use one extreme example. 1000 gamers surveyed. 3 gamers plan to buy GT5. 1 out of those 3 does not have a PS3 yet.

so I can say "1000 gamers surveyed. 33% of gamers who plan to buy GT5 do not have a PS3 yet." You are telling me you can extrapolate meaningful data from that and tell the buying potential of millions upon millions of people?

I already stated that we are not doubting the number "39%" (or 33% or whatever % it is). We just don't know how meaningful it is based on how it is presented now.

Any company that released that data to anyone would literally go bankrupt soon after. This company is 20th in the US at what it does, and moving still higher. I don't understand how you could even think that your example has some semblance to what they do. Your ability to confuse 3rd-grade rationality with business level statistics, does not bode well.

Sure, you are applying the kind of temperament we've all gained toward "spin", but you have to learn something. When media uses spin, it is because they want you behave in a way that is conducive to their business. When a juice company has "made with 100% juice", it is because they want you to buy the product. That is marketing. When other marketers look at that practice, they say, "that is a really smart way to word it".

Similarly when a company releases stats about a product or its business and makes things look better than normal, it is seen as normal practice, because they are trying to gain the confidence of investors. There is no difference between "100% juice" and using "shipped numbers" or "# of active users".

However, when your trade- when your INDUSTRY, is stat tracking, spinning numbers and releasing information that cannot be supported will get you fired, shut down your business, etc etc. This is because the PRODUCT= STATISTICS. If you are selling a fake product, you will get taken down; HARD. Your example above is akin to completely making the numbers up. There is no difference in the stat community. It's like selling milk when the only thing in the bottle is preservative and water.

DO you really think that any company would stand there and let them do that? DO you think the 26th or 51st ranked companies would idly stand by while another company releases fake numbers and misleading statements? NO. They will discredit them with their own study, and move themselves up, earning themselves a place in the top 25 or top 50.

ANd I agree with strunge, I would be embarrassed if I were any one of you who was questioning the sample population or the stat methodology. I'm not judging you here, and I don't really care what you choose to think, but you all literally talking out of your collective ass.

What's especially funny is how you all appear to be saying "X has a good point, too, in that etc etc", as if others sharing your view somehow makes your idea more valid. It's insane. You're a bunch of uninformed people codeveloping a theory that has no basis on anything. It's like the mentality is that with enough people you can work out the right answer, but what you're forgetting to do randomize your sample....which is ironic. Good luck with your groupthink.

You are still missing the point and making it personal now.

I never said the survey company lied or making the numbers up. I said what is presented (or shared) with us does not give any meaningful information.

You are the one telling me the number of people who plan to purchase GT5 out of 100 gamerss surveyed don't matter while it actually does matter.

"1000 gamers surveyed. 33% of gamers who plan to buy GT5 do not have a PS3 yet."

It could mean "1000 gamers surveyed. 3 gamers plan to buy GT5. 1 out of those 3 does not have a PS3 yet." or "1000 gamers surveyed. 30 gamers plan to buy GT5. 10 out of those 30 does not have a PS3 yet." or "1000 gamers surveyed. 900 gamers plan to buy GT5. 300 out of those 900 does not have a PS3 yet." or so on. The survey company certainly knows the real number and can extrapolate meaningful data from it. Unless you imply that extrapolation from all the three cases above would generate the same result, we certainly do not have enough information to make sense of the % presented to us.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network

I'm quite sceptic about that 39%, but even if it were a half of that, GT5 would be a huge system seller.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

saicho said:
theprof00 said:
saicho said:
theprof00 said:
saicho said:
thismeintiel said:

Wake up guys.

You are still missing the point and making it personal now.

I never said the survey company lied or making the numbers up. I said what is presented (or shared) with us does not give any meaningful information.

You are the one telling me the number of people who plan to purchase GT5 out of 100 gamerss surveyed don't matter while it actually does matter.

"1000 gamers surveyed. 33% of gamers who plan to buy GT5 do not have a PS3 yet."

It could mean "1000 gamers surveyed. 3 gamers plan to buy GT5. 1 out of those 3 does not have a PS3 yet." or "1000 gamers surveyed. 30 gamers plan to buy GT5. 10 out of those 30 does not have a PS3 yet." or "1000 gamers surveyed. 900 gamers plan to buy GT5. 300 out of those 900 does not have a PS3 yet." or so on. The survey company certainly knows the real number and can extrapolate meaningful data from it. Unless you imply that extrapolation from all the three cases above would generate the same result, we certainly do not have enough information to make sense of the % presented to us.

It gives SOME meaningful information.

Basically if capitlized correctly GT can be a huge system seller. (I know... shock right?)

The problem is... to capitilize on this they'd need to set up deals, cut price 1 week only release date of the system or something... because say all 1000 say they are going to buy the game... of that 1000... a LOT aren't really going to buy the game...

Moreso the people without a PS3 then those with one, since the barrier to entry and the reasons they may not get it are higher.

I mean, you haven't bought eveything you've planned on buying right?  I know there are loads of games I planned to buy I never got around to buying yet. 

Add it a $299 entrance fee, things that may come up with money or buying another system due to sales or another game catching your eye, or just in general interest in the product waning.

What this tells us is that short term promotional deals would be HUGE for GT5.  A bundle, temporary pricecut/giftcard deals sony may want to bankroll... they should agressively market PS3's at this time.

Kasz216 said:

[...]

Basically if capitlized correctly GT can be a huge system seller. (I know... shock right?)

The problem is... to capitilize on this they'd need to set up deals, cut price 1 week only release date of the system or something... because say all 1000 say they are going to buy the game... of that 1000... a LOT aren't really going to buy the game...

Moreso the people without a PS3 then those with one, since the barrier to entry and the reasons they may not get it are higher.

I mean, you haven't bought eveything you've planned on buying right?  I know there are loads of games I planned to buy I never got around to buying yet. 

Add it a $299 entrance fee, things that may come up with money or buying another system due to sales or another game catching your eye, or just in general interest in the product waning.

What this tells us is that short term promotional deals would be HUGE for GT5.  A bundle, temporary pricecut/giftcard deals sony may want to bankroll... they should agressively market PS3's at this time.

They could adjust the price list and SKUs offer, for example:

Plain 120GB PS3 $249

Entry level Move bundle 120GB PS3 +  Move + minigames $299

Plain 250GB PS3 $289 or $299

Usual games bundles 250GB PS3 + 1 or more Games $325-349 (depending on games)

Premium Move bundle 250GB PS3 + Move + Game $359

Games + extra Move controller bundles $69-79

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Kasz216 said:

[...]

Plain 120GB PS3 $249

They can, but rarely does it seem that it's done in this industry.  I mean why is nearly every PS3 game sold at 60 and every wii game at 50?  That can't be the perfect elastic point for ALL games.

Kasz216 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Kasz216 said:

[...]

Plain 120GB PS3 $249

They can, but rarely does it seem that it's done in this industry.  I mean why is nearly every PS3 game sold at 60 and every wii game at 50?  That can't be the perfect elastic point for ALL games.

Right. I was mainly trying to figure out a pricing scheme that make neither Sony lose money (by next Autumn $249 should be roughly the break-even price for the entry level) nor the richest bundle too expensive.