By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Square Enix and Microsoft teaming up again for E3

Ravage27 said:
LordMatrix said:
Ravage27 said:
LordMatrix said

Lost Odyssey is stil the best sellign exclusive JRPG btw

you know that's not true. Anyway i doubt VP will be an exclusive, Tri-Ace have to be borderline retarded if they want to repeat their SO4 mistake. This is a franchise that can profit from Japan's sales alone and SE isn't going to kill it with stupid timed exclusivity on a system with the fewest JRPG fans.

White Knight Chronicles is the only one that has come close. I am speaking about this generation only BTW. Star Ocean 4 did just fine. I agree that it likely will not be exclusive but it may be timed though. Either way idc because I will be able to play it. I would prefer it to be Multi on day one so that more people can play it right out of the gate but if it is timed those that want it right away will get it then and those that want to wait will buy it later. Star Ocean:TLH did better on X360 than WKC did on PS3 as an exclusive title no less.

Current sales according to vgchartz:

Lost Odyssey 810,000

White Knight Chronicles 530,000

I was actually referring to Valkyria Chronicles, which sold more than LO. Anyway, it isn't fair to compare SO4 with WKC. On one hand you have a new IP and on the other a huge franchise(2nd only to FF&DQ) with a following dating back to the SNE days (SO1,SO2,SO:BS,SO3,SO4).  Do you really think SO4 will receive the same abysmal sales had it released day one as a PS3 exclusive or even as a multiplat?

Well considering SO4 made roughly around Lost Odyssey sales if you combine both X360 and PS3 than no! I actually don't agree that the sales are bad. PS3 may likely would have sold more than it did or maybe it wouldn't have. The whole belief that JRPG fans are mainly on PS3 is a total hoot tbh. People should have seen it coming before the launch of the X360 because we already knew Enchanted Arms was coming along with a mystery JRPG from Namco (Eternal Sonata) and that Final Fantasy 11 was coming to X360. These were all signs that things were going to be better this generation for JRPG fans w/ X360's. Only Sony fan's were blinded by this and believed no matter what PS3 would be like PS2 and hog the spotlight. 

In turn no Star OCean 4 did not sell bad IMO and it is up in the air how big of a difference it would have made if it was multi right out of the gate. If you want a game bad enough for a specific system than go get it for that system. I for one am an impatient man so I will give 2 examples of my own here: Virtua Fighter 5 and Unreal Tournament 3...both these titles were timed exclusives for PS3 I picked them up when they came out and later down the line traded them in and picked up the X360 version's because it is my system of choice. If anyone is a gamer like myself who wants to have the game on their preferred platform if the option comes around than they likely would have done the same type of thing sooner or later.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Around the Network
Squall Strife said:
If the games are mutliplat, everythings gonna be alright.

But I think that the announcement of VP on the E3 isn't the right place and especially the Microsoft Conference. I think this is just a rumour, because VP should be announced on TGS or at least on the Sony Conf.

It actually makes perfect sense why it would be announced at Microsoft's E3 Conference. It is an established JRPG franchise never before on seen on an Xbox platform. Any X360 owner that likes JRPG's would agree that this makes perfect sense. Not to mention the largest X360 audience is America why not show it off. I am sure hoewever, that is it is announced they won't have gameplay footage available until TGS. I don't believe this game will be exclusive simply because it is not as big as some other well established JRPG's.  It might be timed exclusive or multi out the gate but that is anyone's guess at this point. Same goes for the Breath of Fire Compilation but who knows with this one since no one really knows how much this may even be costing Square to do or whether or not some kind of deal was done.

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Well look at RoF sales. Currently 4/1 in favour of the PS3, which such bad sales for the Xbox 360 version, that they could just have made this a PS3 exclusive for a exclusivity boost in sales just like WKC and Yakuza 3 did for the PS3 or Metro 2033 for the XBox 360.

Unless you really push a Xbox 360 JRPG it won't really sell, and making SO a timed exclusive pretty much killed or nerfed the relevance of the franchise. Dumbest move ever.

Speaking of RoF. It's made by the same team that did VP: Silmeria, so unless it's being outsourced I don't think we will see VP: III anytime soon.

Hero_time88 said:
Well look at RoF sales. Currently 4/1 in favour of the PS3, which such bad sales for the Xbox 360 version, that they could just have made this a PS3 exclusive for a exclusivity boost in sales just like WKC and Yakuza 3 did for the PS3 or Metro 2033 for the XBox 360.

Unless you really push a Xbox 360 JRPG it won't really sell, and making SO a timed exclusive pretty much killed or nerfed the relevance of the franchise. Dumbest move ever.

Speaking of RoF. It's made by the same team that did VP: Silmeria, so unless it's being outsourced I don't think we will see VP: III anytime soon.

That's Japan that it is like that and that goes for any multi game in Japan no matter what genre. Japan is full pride and most simply refuse to buy the game on X360. Sony fanboys must be running rampant across Japan. If you look at sales for RoF in Europe/Others & America they are pretty close on each system and this goes for Final Fantasy 13 as well. Hell who expected the sales of the X360 version to be as close as they are to PS3's. I sure didn't! I am glad to see it sold well though because this shows proves once and for all that there is a fanbase on X360 as well. Christ another persion whining saying that Star Ocean suddenly is not longer relevant because of timed exclusivity on X360. Timed exclusivity didn't kill the relevance of Virtua Fighter or Unreal Tournament. I agree it stinks having to wait for it to comeo ut on your console of choice once it is confirmed to be timed. Star Ocean 4 sold just fine on X360 so it wasn't the dumbest move ever. You are just a fanboy that wants to continue beating a dead horse, so to speak.

No worldwide it's also 4/1 according to this site.

And no, Japan has just better taste when it come's to consoles and games than the west, especially America.

And lol, they needed to dwarf the PS3 version of FFXIII and bundle and promote the Xbox 360 version like crazy in the west to reach those numbers, which aren't even close to the PS3 one's anyway. What would have happened with a PS3 bundle and equall promotion? I guess we will never know, but I think that the difference would have been tremendous.

Around the Network
Hero_time88 said:
No worldwide it's also 4/1 according to this site.

And no, Japan has just better taste when it come's to consoles and games than the west, especially America.

And lol, they needed to dwarf the PS3 version of FFXIII and bundle and promote the Xbox 360 version like crazy in the west to reach those numbers, which aren't even close to the PS3 one's anyway. What would have happened with a PS3 bundle and equall promotion? I guess we will never know, but I think that the difference would have been tremendous.

You forgot to say IMO!   Spoken like a true fanboy congrats!  OH and FYI if you take out the Japan sales and just look at the west RoF sales on X360 were roughly 43,000 and PS3 RoF sales were roughly 61,000. 4/1 my ass!!

As for your bundle excuse all the people I know that got one (including myself) got it because of the 250 gig harddrive primarily and all of us already had the game preordered or planned to buy it on X360 anyways. So I doubt that many extra copies were sold on X360 over PS3 because of the bundle. It boosted console sales more than anything.

A lot of Support for Microsoft, i guess they haven't given up the 360 in Japan
Unless Microsoft is paying Big Bucks for these Exclusivity or Timed exclusive games for the 360, then MS must be losing out a lot in terms of revenue for these projects. Although this may help convert people who haven't been able to buy a Sony PS3 to buy a 360 instead because of the large JRPG range and a cheaper console, other than that its still rather risky because not much of the Exclusived or Timed Ex has been much of an accomplishment in terms of sales.

In the near future i can definitely see FFV13 being made for 360 also, Theres no way SE is going to keep a HIGHLY Budget game exclusived on the PS3, and Judging from what SE has done for the 360 and with Hardly any support for the PS3. Am really surprised Valkrie Profile is being exclusived to 360 if the rumor is true considering how the game was also on the PSP. I mean with the sales on of FF13 on the 360 already a million seller theres no way SE can lose out on this.

I wonder if SE has managed to break even on their exclusive projects such as Infinity undiscovery and others, i really hope to see more Multiplatform games coming from SE instead of Exclusivity or timed because their losing a lot of potential sales from the Sony platform especially making the Valkrie profile an exclusive, I just can't see this as a wise Business decision, Why would you make another exclusive for the 360 console when Sales for FF13 has been really impressive and shows that JRPG games can still manage to sell

1. Why would they announce this at E3 and not TGS?

2. I imagine this would go the route of Star Ocean.

3. Why would Microsoft even spend money on getting this on the 360? (if they did) At most the game sells 350k and moves a small fraction of consoles in Japan. The DS game only sold 300k and only 160k in Japan, although I realize it was a spin-off, can we really expect the a VP 360 game to do much better?

VP is a drop of water in a really big bucket when it comes to sales and impact in the grand scheme.

Stats87 said:

1. Why would they announce this at E3 and not TGS?

2. I imagine this would go the route of Star Ocean.

3. Why would Microsoft even spend money on getting this on the 360? (if they did) At most the game sells 350k and moves a small fraction of consoles in Japan. The DS game only sold 300k and only 160k in Japan, although I realize it was a spin-off, can we really expect the a VP 360 game to do much better?

VP is a drop of water in the bucket when it comes to sales.

Same could be said for Monster Hunter:Frontier being that it is an MMO game.

microsoft is surely trying to save the xbox360 and show the japanese that the 360 is still alive to jump in by grabbing monster hunter fronteir it a mmo but still who would expect monster hunter on the 360 i didnt and if this is rumor is true microsoft trying to pull out the guns to increase japanese audences to switch to the xbox platform