By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Impressions of GOW3 (spoilers) and Bayonetta comparison

CGI-Quality said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:
At least you gave it a shot. Can't ask for much more than that.

Wait......I still believe that it is a phenomenal game......Bayonetta being better than it(imo) doesnt take away from that.....im still itching to get home and play it right now (just found pandora and am doing some puzzles)

Yeah, that's not a problem. I just saw you getting attacked for the thread and thought it was a bit unfair.

To be honest , I dont think ive been attacked enough.

* Looks @ J-Man with utter amazement *

lol....you sure you want that?

Its not a question of whether I want it or not......I braced myself for the hate this thread would give and I feel ive braced myself for nothing with the quality of hate coming in......it is sub-par to be honest.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:
CGI-Quality said:
At least you gave it a shot. Can't ask for much more than that.

Wait......I still believe that it is a phenomenal game......Bayonetta being better than it(imo) doesnt take away from that.....im still itching to get home and play it right now (just found pandora and am doing some puzzles)

Yeah, that's not a problem. I just saw you getting attacked for the thread and thought it was a bit unfair.

To be honest , I dont think ive been attacked enough.

* Looks @ J-Man with utter amazement *

lol....you sure you want that?

Its not a question of whether I want it or not......I braced myself for the hate this thread would give and I feel ive braced myself for nothing with the quality of hate coming in......it is sub-par to be honest.

Sony-Squad not as bad as once thought eh?

Heavens no....

The quantity is there but not the quality......

I disagree with your opinion.
In my opinion, Bayonetta gets cannibalized by God of War 3 in just about every single way. The gameplay of God of War is absolutely fluid, the story, graphics, scale, difficulty, etc is all right where it needs to be.

Bayonetta is an average game IMHO in just about every way and certainly no God of War. Consumers / Reviewers / etc will prove this opinion to be true.

xeroxm3 said:
I would like to offer an outsider's perspective on this comparison. I have played neither game but my friend just recently finished GoW3 and is currently playing Bayonetta right now. From what I've seen from his playtime with both I'm more interested in Bayonetta for it's style and playfulness. I've never been into the over the top brutality testosterone fest that GoW prides itself on. Kratos, as a character, has never really appealed to me because he's just so over the top. I'm not saying it's a bad thing because I know a lot of people love the character, but I wish he'd occasionally drop from that 10 to at least an 8 every now and then. Maybe he does, as I said I haven't played the games, but they sure don't market or show him like that not in-game.

Even last gen when all my friends were like "You gotta play God of War it's F***ING amazing!" I just kind of shrugged and said meh. I think both games, while in the same genre, are going for very different crowds. These crowds do intersect occasionally however I think it is fairly obvious that they have very distinct feels. I've never been much for the whole brutality and gore draw aside from Ninja Gaiden, but that's more because I like the nostalgia from my GameGear days.

Wow, I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I have actually played both. I just did not enjoy GoW3 nearly as much as I thought I would. I am perhaps a little tired of the overboard testosterone pumping of the GoW series. On the other hand, Bayonetta was simply fun.  I enjoyed playing Bayonetta alot more.

Rpruett said:
In my opinion, Bayonetta gets cannibalized by God of War 3 in just about every single way. The gameplay of God of War is absolutely fluid, the story, graphics, scale, difficulty, etc is all right where it needs to be.

Bayonetta is an average game IMHO in just about every way and certainly no God of War. Consumers / Reviewers / etc will prove this opinion to be true.

Bayonetta has a 90 meta while GOW3 has a 93......3 point differential is the difference between an "average game" and a great one?

Around the Network

Metacritic:
"Bayonetta :90"
"God Of War :93"

Conclusion:
Both are great.
GoW3 is better.

edit-

Didnt mean to sound trollish, im just stating the fact.

Some people like Bayo, a bit more like GoW so its "better" overall...

Rpruett said:

Bayonetta has a 90 meta while GOW3 has a 93......3 point differential is the difference between an "average game" and a great one?

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.  86 on the PS3 / 90 on the 360.   I could say Bayonetta averages out at an 88 overall.   Either way,  3 points is 3 points.    God of War 3 has also sold quite a bit more on quite a smaller gamer base in a much shorter amount of time.  

Consumers have spoken of their opinion of quality / enjoyment of the two games.

Bayonetta is a niche game to me.  A game that die hard fans of it will swear by it but more people will avoid it than go out of their way for it.  Gameplay is almost entirely a personal preference thing.  For example, I hate Ninja Gaiden-esque game play.  I don't enjoy Ninja Gaiden's simply because of their gameplay.    So while it's great that you enjoy Bayonetta more,  you're in the minority. 

Rpruett said:
Rpruett said:

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.  86 on the PS3 / 90 on the 360.   I could say Bayonetta averages out at an 88 overall.   Either way,  3 points is 3 points.    God of War 3 has also sold quite a bit more on quite a smaller gamer base in a much shorter amount of time.

Bayonetta is a niche game to me.  A game that die hard fans of it will swear by it but more people will avoid it than go out of their way for it.  Gameplay is almost entirely a personal preference thing.  For example, I hate Ninja Gaiden-esque game play.  I don't enjoy Ninja Gaiden's simply because of their gameplay.    So while it's great that you enjoy Bayonetta more,  you're in the minority.

Mind if I ask you something.......do you believe KZ2 is better than Halo 3.......this question will make sense after you post your answer.....

Rpruett said:
Rpruett said:

Averaging the scores is a terrible thing to do.  The PS3 version being a bad port doesn't take anything away from the XBox360 version.

As for the debate, well, I think they are pretty different styles of hack and slash.  In the end, people will prefer different styles.  Now if you compare a game like Dante's Inferno and God of War 3, which are very similar in gameplay style, then I could see someone trying to make an objective argument for which game is better.

I think Rainbow 6: Ravenshield is better than Killzone 2.  But that's because I prefer the style of gameplay in R6: Ravenshield over the style of gameplay in Killzone 2.  Yes, both games are first person shooters, but there's more than enough variety within that genre to have games co-exist without having to compare them.

By the way, were there all these hack and slash comparisons between God of War 1/2 and Devil May Cry 1/2/3?  Why is everyone so worked up about Bayonetta vs God of War 3?

Bayonetta is a cool game (on the 360) but God of War is just sooooooo good =P I really think you should end the game first then edit the OP, the ending is one of the best I've played, nearly as epic as MGS4 was. The story, the graphs and the sound are enough to give the victory to GoW. Plus it has a great replay value and lots of extras. Imo it sets the bar at a higher level for the best graphics on the PS3.
Oh I forgot to talk about the gameplay.. well, Athena told Kratos that the Blades of Exile would be his best posession to defeat the Gods, so you can consider the other weapons as extras :P It's very fluid and fun, specially because you have enumerous ways to kill your enemies.
The only rant I have on GoW are the checkpoints. Specially on boss fights, these are awful... die once, start all over again =/ annoyed me alot, specially on Hard difficulty.