By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Impressions of GOW3 (spoilers) and Bayonetta comparison

*Note that I have just seen daedalus and am at the part of the giant scorpion but I assume im at least 70% , if not 80% done of the game as I have all the weapons.

As some of you may know (or dont) is that I absolutely hated Kratos post-GOW2 and for the most part he is exactly the same in GOW3 but ill leave kratos's broken character for another thread.

Presentation.

Now before I start, this game is a definite improvement over the second game . The pacing is far better than the second game and there is actually a story in this iteration but I still feel it carried over the style over substance principle that the second game had to a small degree but even saying that this game mop the floor in presentation with Bayonetta. The scale , the set pieces , the cinematics.....no contest.

Graphics

Dont need to say anything

Animations

I feel that Bayonetta wins in this regard because it just feels more fluid to play , when I started GOW3 and had my combos stripped in the river of styks , the game honestly felt frustrating to play until I got the Claws of Hades (which are 100x better than the blades of exile) but even after that it still didnt reach the level of fluidity Bayonetta gave me and even now with all the weapons it is still the same.

Gameplay

This is a no contest for Bayonetta , the combos are far deeper than GOW3 and each weapon in Bayonetta is unique......that is not something I can say for GOW3 because each weapon is basically a blades of exile with some twist , more speed (those thunder claws) , More Radial damage (Claws of hades) and power (Hercule's fists , but those are the only unique weapons in the game but also have a chain like feature).

Conclusion

No doubt that both these games are among the best in their genre but I believe that Bayonetta wins this one. It depends what you value more , gameplay or presentation because both these games excel at one of them and falter in the other (but in their own right , they are still amazing) and I value gameplay over presentation because I felt the WOW moments in Bayonetta were far more satifying for me than GOW 3 because it was apart of the gameplay rather than a cinematic.

Keep it civil guys......

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network

Gameplay is different, but not worse. You cannot compare them.

They are far too different. Compare Bayonetta to something like Ninja Gaiden or DMC.

GoW is not the same kind of game, it's not a technical game.

Opinion only.

Production values: GoW3
Scale: GoW 3
Graphics: GoW 3
Presentation: GoW3
Story: GoW3
Music: Tied
Gameplay: Uncomparable, but they are both peaks of their own genres, so tied
Controls: Tied

Winner, GoW3.

Though we all know the purpose of your post.

BW_JP said:
Gameplay is different, but not worse. You cannot compare them.

They are far too different. Compare Bayonetta to something like Ninja Gaiden or DMC.

GoW is not the same kind of game, it's not a technical game.

Opinion only.

Production values: GoW3
Scale: GoW 3
Graphics: GoW 3
Presentation: GoW3
Story: GoW3
Music: Tied
Gameplay: Uncomparable, but they are both peaks of their own genres, so tied
Controls: Tied

Winner, GoW3.

Though we all know the purpose of your post.

They are both HnS and should be treated as such , they are not in different genres.

@bolded

Heaven forbid I have an opinion different from yours.

The gameplay in Bayonetta was definitely better and more fluid, it also justified those Epilepsy warnings at the beginning of the game. God of War actually felt slow when I first started to play it. Though I'm liking God of War much better because it keeps changing the pace, Bayonetta was basically all about killing everything coming at you (outside of the Bike and Missile scene).

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

If we want to talk about deep combat systems then both games must bow to Ryu Hayabusa.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network

Well, it may win for YOUR TASTE.... I mean, for me, a game that is ONLY and ONLY fighting (witch time, repeat combo, witch time) I wouldn't consider it above a game like God of War where I can do lots of other cool stuff (like puzzles, and platforming), plus I have a nice story, cool characters and the presentation is stunning... well , I guess that's just me.

Also, I don't know how you can reach any conclusion without finishing the game first.... you're in a hurry to raise Bayonetta's arm? we can wait, really....

gekkokamen said:
Also, I don't know how you can reach any conclusion without finishing the game first.... you're in a hurry to raise Bayonetta's arm? we can wait, really....

Youll understand as to why I didnt choose story as a criteria.......the others I can make a fair assesment to with the time ive had with the game.

^still not finished though...since you felt you didn't need to finish it to pass judgement, I already saw a mile a way where you're coming from. Nice try...two threads for this? pffft...

This is a seperate issue I have with the game........now I dont play my ps3 that much but when even I play GOW3 it goes back to I believe 1280x720 instead of 1920X1080.....does the ps3 have an upscaler or is this a personal issue?