By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - when will the ps3 peak?

Whenever Sony cuts the price of the PS3 to $199, which will probably be next year

Around the Network

After the next price cut, provided it's a decent one.

2010/2011, should be pretty high to, I would say up to 15 million this year and/or next year.

I think 2011. PS3 probably has one more price cut left in it where its sales will actually increase a significant amount as a result, and the last boundaries on potential PS3 sales will finally be lifted. Once it's at $200, which will probably be in 2011, it'll have one last hurrah, but I don't see it raising in sales much more after that.

But I don't really see a $100-$150 for instance selling that much more than a $200 PS3. The important thing is breaking into the mass market audience, which a $200 PS3 is sufficiant for.

Most likely this year ( fiscal year 2011).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Arius Dion said:
It already did.

The PS3 will peak at $299?

At least give a reason for your failed logic.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

2011 is when it will peak, but it will still have strong years for 2 to 3 years.

In my opinion, 2009 was the peak year. Although sales are great now, I think an XBox360 price cut late in the year will deflate sales (like in 2008), causing 2010 to be slightly lower than 2009. In 2011, people will be looking forward to the next generation of consoles, and the current generation will seem old, causing sales to be even lower than 2010 despite great software and more price cuts.

The only action on Sony's part to break that trend would be to lower the price this year to match whatever Microsoft does, but due to the loss in profits, I do not believe Sony will do that (just like MS has not done anything so far, despite losing market share to Sony).

2009 can't be the peak year. We're already matching how many major releases in 2010 vs 2009.
MAG. Bioshock 2, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Bad Company 2 and Bayonetta.

We've still got Metal Gear Solid Rising, Gran Turismo 5, Socom 4 (potentially), The Last Guardian and ModNation Racers.

I think it's in it's peak year right now. It started with the big price cut and release of the slim. It will start to taper off towards the end of the year when it cant compete with the numbers it put up at the end of last year.