By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do feel feel the Ps3 has achieved what the ps2 did?

Come on, seriously. The PS2 got almost all the games, even the best GC game was ported to the PS2.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
Cougarman said:
not yet, PS2 had amazing games in every single genre except for 1st person shooter

RPG - PS2 wins
Platformer - PS2 wins
Racing - PS2 wins
1st person shooter - PS3 wins
Sports - PS2 wins
action adventure - PS2 wins

PS3 is still young though, and it has some great games, but PS2 was just a beast

I dissagree with action adventure, and sports on that list.

most sports games have gotten better.

Uncharted 1 and 2 are action adventure, Gow 3 pushed the series to greater heights, INfamous was great, assasins creed 2 great, as well as batman arkham, heavanly sword althogh short was great

no console will ever have a greater RPG line-up as the PS2 has had.

Racing games have been ok on the ps3 he just need GT5 to lead to charge to get on par with ps2 raceing games. Modnation may also give the ps3 an element the ps2 didn't have which is great kart racer that the ps1 had.

Platformers Ps2 has it locked down until we get some jak and dexter and sly cooper action. LBP and ratchet hasen't dissapoint but needs help.

It's not Sonys fault this generation has more of a focus on multiplatform developement. Titles like Tekken were never contracted for exclusivity on the PS2... I don't believe, it was just all the developers wanted to develop the games for. So it's not like it was Sonys responsibility to these. In the example of Namco, Soul Caliber was already a big success on other platforms aside playstation, so it's understandable how they'd want to take there other IPs with them. First party devs were just temp, and it's much more worth while for them to invest in publishing new IPs. 

This gen they've easily proved that they are the best publisher out there, and published more by themselves. I also feel the quality of content, and amount of content is about the same that was on the PS2 3 years into release. 

I guess I do feel that the PS3 has achieved what the PS2 did, HOWEVER respective to how well things are going this gen, for the Nintendo Wii or even the HD systems. This gen doing what the PS2 did doesn't seem too difficult, and I'd expect by the end of this gen all 3 (individually) will end up with a larger liberary of games than the PS2. 

Considering the stranglehold of the PS2 of the market and the sheer versatility of the software of the PS2, considering it pretty much covered every genre, I'm going to have to say no.

the main improvement for the ps3, is the online.
ps2's was so laggy.

Around the Network
grimygunz said:
Cougarman said:
not yet, PS2 had amazing games in every single genre except for 1st person shooter

RPG - PS2 wins
Platformer - PS2 wins
Racing - PS2 wins
1st person shooter - PS3 wins
Sports - PS2 wins
action adventure - PS2 wins

PS3 is still young though, and it has some great games, but PS2 was just a beast

I dissagree with action adventure, and sports on that list.

most sports games have gotten better.

Uncharted 1 and 2 are action adventure, Gow 3 pushed the series to greater heights, INfamous was great, assasins creed 2 great, as well as batman arkham, heavanly sword althogh short was great

no console will ever have a greater RPG line-up as the PS2 has had.

Racing games have been ok on the ps3 he just need GT5 to lead to charge to get on par with ps2 raceing games. Modnation may also give the ps3 an element the ps2 didn't have which is great kart racer that the ps1 had.

Platformers Ps2 has it locked down until we get some jak and dexter and sly cooper action. LBP and ratchet hasen't dissapoint but needs help.

i agree with everyhing you said except for action adventure, PS2 still lacks a game like ICO or SOTC, but once the last guardian comes out it should even things out

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Depends on the genre:

Casual:
PS2=PS3, after move, it'll probably be PS3>PS2 though

Racing:
PS2>PS3 - 2 Gran Turismos, ATV, Wipeout, F1, countless others arcadey and sim racing, PS3 is getting more and more racing games but still not close. PS3 might eventually reach it though but with possibly just one GT, it doesn't look likely that it'll be better than PS2 in this category.

Sports:
PS2>PS3 - I expect PS3 to eventually pass the PS2 on this category, but for now it's still PS2. PS2 yearly franchises were generally better and it still got a Hot Shots Tennis and 2 Hot Shots Golf. PS2 also got good Tony Hawk games. PS3 yearly iterations are getting better and we should expect a new HSG and HST soon though, UFC being a good game on PS3 is also a plus.

FPS Action/Adventure:
PS3>PS2 - not surprising as the FPS is the main genre now, PS3 has already gotten plenty of high quality AAA FPS games like Bioshock, Killzone, COD, Battlefield, Resistance, etc whereas I can probably only think of 1 or 2 on PS2. Timesplitters and maybe Black.

TPS Action/Adventure:
PS2>PS3 - 3 proper SOCOM games, Syphon Filter, Splinter Cell, 3 GTAs, 2 MGS. PS3 has a broken SOCOM, a good but not great GTA, GTA clone in Saints Row 2, MGS4, Uncharted, inFamous, GRAW, a horrible Splinter Cell game...give it time and PS3 will pass the PS2 in this category as well.

Other type of Action/Adventure:
PS2>PS3 - I gotta give this to PS2 again, 3 Sly games, 3 Ratchet, 3 Jak, Twisted Metal, SOTC, ICO, 2 GOW, 3 DMC, 4 Onimusha, PoP, etc... PS3 has LBP, 2 Ratchet, Assassin's Creed, Heavy Rain, GOW, Bayonetta, DMC, it might eventually pass PS2 in this category, but it's not a given.

Horror games:
PS2> PS3 - Silent Hill games were still decent, RE4 is way better than RE5, 2 Siren games, the PS3 might pass it soon though, Dead Space was excellent, and another RE, Siren game will probably come eventually, plus there's that snippet that looks like a horror game from the move trailer.

Fighter
PS2 = PS3 - This is a push IMO, PS2 had the better Tekkens, PS3 had the better Street Fighters, plus MvC2 in HD. PS3 might eventually pass it if it gets another good fighting game.

JRPG
PS2>PS3 - Not even close, FF, DQ, Persona, MH, Tales, Grandia, Suikoden, countless niche and smaller JRPGs, I doubt the PS3 will ever pass the PS2 in this genre.

WRPG
PS3>PS2 - This is a genre that the PS3 greatly benefited by having a HDD, the gap will only get bigger as it receives more WRPGs.

MMORPG
PS2>PS3 - This is surprising, eventually PS3 might be better than PS2 in this category but PS2 had Everquest, FFXI, PS3 has nothing here yet.

Overall IMO

PS2>PS3 in 7 genres
PS3>PS2 in 2 genres
PS2=PS3 in 2 genres

No doubt about it. PS3 has 99.9% of the third party titles the PS2 had. Sure some are not exclusive anymore, but at least they are on the system. On the exclusive side PS3 is miles ahead of the PS2 in quality. Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, Uncharted 1 & 2, God of War 3, and many more, are so far ahead of anything on other platforms it is mind boggling.

The best thing about PS3 to this point IMO is the way Sony goes about releasing the games they publish. Besides Resistance 2, and Lair they have show amazing dedication to their titles. This gen I would put Sony in the same league as Blizzard, and Nintendo in the don't release what aint ready catagory. For me, that has pushed the PS2 well above the good, but flawed games that we saw on PS2.

I basically look at it like Sony took the God of War/Gran Turismo formula and applied it to all games.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

No, not remotely.

I love JRPGs and 3rd Person Action/Hack&Slash more then any other genre at the mid year 2004 mark about 3 and half year after the PS2 was released there were more awesome JRPGs and 3rd person Action/Hack&Slash Games then there is now

JRPGs for example there was Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicle, Suikoden III, Xenosaga, 2 Tales Games, Kingdom Harts, 2 Grandia II and many more.

I am not saying that the PS3 dose not have many awesome JRPGs like FFXIII, VC, ES, TOV but there a less of them at the same point in time after the release of the console.

3rd Person Action/Hack&Slash by mid year 2004 wee had Onimusha, Onimusha 2, Onimusha 3, Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, Biohazard Code Veronica (RECVX) and Shinobi PS2 and at the end of 2004 Metal Gear Solid 3 to and lots more.

PS3 still has yet to see a Onimusha Game and Devil May Cry 4 which is awesome the only DMC on PS3 so far but there are some awesome ones like Metal Gear Solid 4, Biohazard 5 (RE5) but sadly there are less awesome Action Games out at this point.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku