By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What You Didn't Know About Nintendo

dang Mario can jump over my house 0_0

Around the Network

I knew all of it...

Lastgengamer said:
Soleron said:
Lastgengamer said:
Is it true Nintendo is a larger company than Sony?

By market cap, yes. (Number of shares * share price, basically the dollar value of the company were someone to buy every share)

By physical size, no. It clearly has lower revenue, lower employee count, fewer premises.

But it is far more profitable than Sony and others, so it is worth more to shareholders as an enterprise.

I believe Nintendo has the highest profit-to-employee ratio in the world of significantly sized companies. It is extremely well run.

Thanks for the response. being larger than Sony in anyway is still impressive. Considering all the divisions Sony has.  

Except this! ^

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
dnnc said:
Squilliam said:

The only thing which really matters is profit. Revenue, number of studios, product range etc are a means to the end which is profit and nothing more.

In US dollars

Microsft = 255.75 billion dollars

Sony = 38.55 billion dollars

Nintendo =  Unspecified but it's about, 125 billion dollars

in terms of what they sell, Nintendo is not all videogames. Nintendo owns everything Pokemon ( movies included, t-shirts, toys )

in terms of profit, as a company Microsfot has more Cash Flow than Sony is worth. well it's actually about 30 billion dollars of cash

but that can basically be called profit, which is why Microsoft is worth soo much

Yep, exactly. Nintendo is what many would call a new age company, the value adder they have is in the design work and creativity and they have shed pretty much all non essential business elements. They like Apple are paragons to the ideal of slimline and highly profitable/flexible companies. Comparing the number of employees is useless for companies which outsource all of their manufacturing for instance, I think in the TV space Vizio is one such company.

Tease.

I knew all of that

I knew a good number, but some of them are very interesting tidbits. Though I also heard that Nintendo used to run motels/hotels before it moved to video games. Don't they also own a baseball team?

I don't believe it is illegal to make a game for a platform. It's just not sanctioned so if the game screws up your machine it's not under warranty for Nintendo to fix the machine.

I like the tidbit about the NES cartridges.

I would like to however congratulate the PSP. I know a lot of people want to consider the PSP a failure, but in comparison to the iPhone which is considered a succesful product the PSP is doing very well. I guess failure is a definition of expectations. Which is a pity as such wants and desires are what lead to suffering. So too bad people are suffering over greedy companies that just want to suck your money away. Yes I'm looking at you Nintendo, Apple, Sony, MS.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network

If Mario has a 27 foot vertical jump, and barely jump over those pesky pirahnna plants, then pirahnna plants are the scariest thing to ever exist.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

.jayderyu said:
Don't they also own a baseball team?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Mariners

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

There is no way in the world nintendo is bigger than sony
Nintendo is worth about 20 billion dollars and has 4000 emplyees
Sony is worth 230 billion dollars and has 180,000 employees
now in terms of revenue and salary per employee yes

nostromos said:
There is no way in the world nintendo is bigger than sony
Nintendo is worth about 20 billion dollars and has 4000 emplyees
Sony is worth 230 billion dollars and has 180,000 employees
now in terms of revenue and salary per employee yes

You are a very misinformed person.

Despite Sony having 20 times the employees, Nintendo still has way more money.

I read on wiki that NIntendos net worth is 85 billion