By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Look at me! I am playing badly reviewed games and having fun!

pots555 said:

That's it, I am never reading an official review for the rest of my gaming life.  Finished.  Never again...

Here is why:

I am currently playing the game Calling (50 on Metacritic).  I know it is NOT a masterpiece, but I would give it a 7 out of 10.  In fact, I think any game I finish to the end deserves at least that much. 

Well Deadly Premonition has a 52 but I loved that game. Regardless, I agree with Metacritic scores most of the time.

So I'll keep looking at reviews but if I have a feeling about a game, I'll try it out regardless of the score.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Wow! Those games should be cheap!! And you must be the AVGN.

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
dunno001 said:
pastro243 said:
dunno001 said:
Torillian said:
adsl said:
I enjoyed Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers too and it deserves a better reviews. Since it is a Wii game the reviewers just don't like it.

Wii has already a very strong and diverse library, unique titles like FFCB, RS2, NMH2 and Just Dance keep coming, but you know that they will have bad reviews only because they aren't hd titles...

And all those pages and pages that reviewers wrote about the game as to why they thought it deserved the score they gave?  Was that all just a front so they could mask their bias?  What a bunch of BS.

Actually, yes, it is a front. They always compare it to what "could have been" (or in their eyes, "should" have been) on the PS3 or 360. Since the graphics aren't as good, they dock it points right there. Add in quite a few of them who whine about "the waggle", others whining about the "casualness" of its games, and the ones that just in general don't like Nintendo, and they'll skew the words however they can to trash a Wii game.

What they are not doing is reviewing for the people who care about the game. They're reviewing based on where they want to see gaming go, ie, a stagnant and slowly shrinking red ocean. Yes, there's the occasional blockbuster that makes gaming seem larger than ever, but in general, games are not selling as well as developers need, and they're going out of business as a result. But the Wii requires companies to shift how they do things- "they" meaning publishers, developers, and yes, reviewers. Rather than do that, they'll slight the Wii, trashtalk it, do what they can in hopes that someone picks up on this and decides to not get a Wii, getting something else instead. It becomes another person that they can sell the same old tricks to. All because they just don't want to change.

EDIT IN REPLY TO POST ABOVE THIS: You mention some Nintendo games as getting high scores. I'll counter that by referencing my first line- what could be on the HD systems. They know that Nintendo won't make a game for someone else. So they can't compare it to something else, and actually have to review it based on its merits. This results in the higher scores, and, for Nintendo's better games, also allows them to help perpetuate the "belief" that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems, and that "we can't compete with Nintendo." Get the smaller guys to give up, go HD, and keep fueling what they want. Gotta take some lumps to get what you want; giving Nintendo's own games good scores, while usually deserving, is the easiest, and feeds another slight.

@pots555: Where is this Fragile cult? I think I need to go join it...

Man, they are just pointing out they dont like the game acording to their tastes, has it ever crossed your mind that someone might not like the games you do? Im tired of this "everyone wants the wii to fail" conspiracy wii owners use when the games they like get bad reviews.

I loved folklore on ps3 and it didnt get good scores, but that doesnt mean reviewers are stupid or anything like that, I know the game has its flaws but there is something I love but I dont expect anyone to think the same way I do. 

Umm... yeah? There are some games I like that I know are niche. While I think Persona 4 is a great game, I was shocked to see it do as well as it did review-wise. But I sit back and look at it, maybe they actually reviewed it based on the fans of Persona 3, and that would explain the score- it was targetted to its audience correctly. Nowhere do I claim that every game I like should get 90+, or anything of the sort. Rather, it's the consistancy of low Wii scores I look at. Yes, some of them deserve it, probably about in the same ratio of HD games that get low scores, maybe a tad more due to its popularity. But are there really so few games that deserve to get 85+ on the system? No. And why is it, that so few Wii games get better scores? There has to be a reason for it. And I really think that this reason has come down to a reviewer bias. The occasional good score is thrown out to say "See? We're not biased!" In those few cases, it means that they usually reviewed the game correctly- toward its target audience. And for quite a few Wii games, the "professional reviewer" is not the target, yet they still review it as though they were. And they let this feed their bias, making it worse. "This game didn't meet what I want to see; the Wii must be a crap system!" And thus the cycle continues...

Well then, we have the reviewers in the internet that give scores basing on their tastes and things they consider important that make a game good, they certainly have similar notions of people who visit those sites, and when they give advice to someone that may have very similar tastes and notions its ok to use their standards which would make some party and casual games bad quality.

Now, If you dont share the mentallity of reviewers just dont read them, giving an opinion about a game they consider bad its perfectly fine and doesnt associate to hating the wii, just dont liking some of their games. If you are a person that likes Wii Fit, read a mag that people who like similar games like too, because personally I dont think people that like MGS4, gears of wars, etc... would apreciate a game like just dance for what it is, because it doesnt have what they look for in a game.

Its the same as expecting a Jonas Brothers album to score high on a Metal site, but it will surely score high on a disney magazine or something like that. There is no objective way to determinate the quality of a game, its just that there are objective measures and people apreciate them differently, and the people that often make review scores are similar to the ones that frecuent those sites, that make review scores valid if you are a similar type of gamer than the ones that write the review.

Oh, and lets not forget that it isnt just a score, its a whole text, and if the text says "this game has shitty graphics" and you dont care about it, then the review may not be for someone like you. So maybe the Wii audience that buys a lot of games isnt the same one that goes to those sites, so they shouldnt even be bitching about those reviews in the first place.

So, this "everyone in the media hates the wii" thing I see so much in here seems very childish and lazy way of thinking.

Exactly. GTA4 sucks, and it got a 98.

There's always an exception though, as Ocarina of Time got a 99, and it's the best console game of all time (with Half-Life 2 being the best game of all time, at least the PC version is).

Thats awesome news!!! Lately I've been playing alot of games that on Metacritic only are in the 60-70 range and have had a blast!!! Its all relative to your enjoyment anyways who cares what someone else thinks. Remember gaming is about HAVING FUN

Around the Network

i always do the same bro! =]

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

It may sometimes have a lower score for poor gameplay but great story, or vice versa

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

I have been doing this for years.....

Somebody needs to make an "I hate reviewers" sig so people don't have to keep making these threads. I think that would surely stop these threads from being made.

I stopped trusting most mainstream reviews awhile ago, particularly with Wii games. Now I usually only look at user reviews and amazon reviews in particular.