By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS to feature 3.4-inch Sharp parallax barrier display?

Galaki said:
steven787 said:
Severance said:
no , it will be a bundle of 3 DS's.

Yes, I don't understand what all the crazy speculation is about.

I think you both got it wrong. You only needed 2 DS'es and just string the edges together.

Nintendo then turn around and sell it at 3 DS'es price, increasing their profit margin by 33.33%

It's actually 2 DS's duct taped together.

Around the Network
Derixs said:
I am hoping that the screen will display 720p or 1080p, I have also heard that you may be able to stream Netflix movies to the DS/3DS.

Seriously, 720p, or 1080p, even? Why would anyone want that on such a tiny screen? It would be totally and utterly useless.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

HappySqurriel said:

The main thing that makes me question these specs is that the screen resolution is (roughly) 8 times the resolution of the DS screen. The screen size is reasonable being that it is only somewhat larger than the DS screem (about a 10% increase in size in both dimensions, or a 20% increase in size in one dimension)

I heard they were pushing for a higher resolution because the way the lenticular lense systems work (which I assume this is a version of) is by effectivelly sending half the pixels to each eye.  For this reason the resolution needs to be higher than a comparable 2D display in order to achieve the same image quality.

Nintendo wouldn't use it if it wasn't impressive on the first look. :P

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Cheebee said:
Derixs said:
I am hoping that the screen will display 720p or 1080p, I have also heard that you may be able to stream Netflix movies to the DS/3DS.

Seriously, 720p, or 1080p, even? Why would anyone want that on such a tiny screen? It would be totally and utterly useless.

Well since the iPod touch was created back in 2007 with a screen resolution of (320x480 px at 163 ppi, with 3:2 aspect ratio) I would almost bet the the resolution of the 3DS will be higher since it will be displaying images in 3D. Its not too much to say the 3DS will be at least 720p. I just want higher resolution... thats all.

Albion - Its Fun as Ballz !!!!!

Around the Network

Ok, let me get this straight. People think that the 3DS will be powerful enough to render 2 viewpoints (needed for 3D content), at resolutions higher than most Wii games, and drive another screen that we haven't taken into account? This, from Nintendo?

I mean, really? Really? I will be absolutely floored if this is what Nintendo is planning on using in their new handheld.

Could be my first handheld since the GameBoy. This is really interesting.

The resolution is pretty high. I am really curious what Nintendo will show on E3.

Pretty sure 720P is to large of a resolution to fit on such a small screen at the moment. Maybe in a couple more years.

bobobologna said:
Ok, let me get this straight. People think that the 3DS will be powerful enough to render 2 viewpoints (needed for 3D content), at resolutions higher than most Wii games, and drive another screen that we haven't taken into account? This, from Nintendo?

I mean, really? Really? I will be absolutely floored if this is what Nintendo is planning on using in their new handheld.

While I agree with you in principle, and (as I said earlier in this thread) I don’t expect such a high resolution, I wouldn’t completely discount it; especially if hsrob is correct, and this would really translate to being a 480x427x2 screen in 3D mode. For the most part, most complicated 3D games on the DS only render to one screen and use the other screen to display supplemental information (like maps or whatnot); and even then most 3D games on the DS could best be described as 2.5D which tend not to be the most technically demanding of games. Beyond that, with the small screen it is unlikely that developers would have much interest in presenting the same kinds of small details in game as they would produce for a similar Wii or Gamecube game; which further reduces technical demands on the system.

Basically, Nintendo would probably be able to get by with less powerful hardware to produce a handheld system with 2 480x854 screens than they would if they were producing a console that rendered to two SD screens.

The 3DS is just THREE DUAL SCREENS
which means it has 6 sides
which means it is a Cube
which means it should the power of the Gamecube

which means one side can open, with a screen on the underside of that!

That's 7 screens.

FF7 Remake confirmed!

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."