By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Sony create a new franchise as big as Gran Turismo?

Dgc1808 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Past trends told them sequels were worthwhile. But I think Sony has created so many IPs hoping for something huge.

That's a weird way to think about it... Because they make a lot of new games, that's evidence they're hoping for something to go big?? You really think SONY or any major company would try something as stupid as to toss large amounts of money into tons of projects IN HOPE of getting lucky?

Funny thing the new IP's like Uncharted and LBP (The ones he is claiming Sony over budgeted) Haven't had comparable budgets to the games that he is saying Sony is hoping for. The guy is pulling stuff from where the sun dont shine. The game Sony hoped to sell 10 million (LOL) had a 2.5 year dev time with 25 employees (And started with 5). No story and probablly very little art. 5-7 million dollar title. Or a Quantam Dream game who havent had a game sell more than 1 million.

Around the Network

Sure, nothing is stopping any decent company from making a IP as popular as GT. They just need to make the right type of game (mass market), and market it the right way.

Heck, Nintendo just created the Wii Sports franchise that is a +10m seller (Wii Sports Resort over 10m, Wii Sports sold 3.7m in Japan, and probably would have sold 10m WW if it wasn't bundled). Activision has the Modern Warfare franchise, which sells 18m combined. Even the Guitar Hero series broke 13m sales with the 3rd version. And all of those games are relatively new.

The real question is when will Sony acheive that type of success again.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I still don't have a date for GT5 yet while I am enjoying my second Uncharted game this Gen. You can have GT5 type games, I just want games.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Can they? Yes.

Will they? Probably not. I mean making a franchise of that level is pretty damn hard after all.

There are only 40 games with 10 million + sales.

Also i wouldn't say they are created by luck.  If they were the franchises would be more evenly distributed when Nintendo seems to be exceptionally good at creating such franchises.

They could probably do it.

But they would have to work hard, not just giving it a big budget (Many 10M+ sellers don't have overly huge budgets), but they would really have to push their employees to the limit.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

They can if they actually try to.....

Maybe the new SOCOM 4 can do it. It's not going to be like all the other SOCOM games.. they're making some changes to the game to where it will appeal to more people.

where in some uncharted territory here.

The problem though is that Sony has so many good 1st party franchises. Its not like Nintendo where they focus on their main 6 or 7, but Sony has so many new franchises per console release and good ones at that. So in a sense the franchises they have created could potentially be huge but there's others stealing their thunder

Yes after they invent a sport as popular as professional motorsports. Let's face it GTs success isn't entirely due to the quality of the product.