By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Orange box hands on (1up)

I'm sure we're aware of the PS3 version of the orange box being developed by some other developers from EA and not Valve? Well, this looks like it's paying off as 1up has a hands on article on the PS3 version of the Orange Box and it might be looking to dissapoint a little bit.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3164539

"

After spending a significant amount of time with a near final version of the PS3 game, it's apparent that this version suffers from a number of technical flaws, which at best merely hinder game play and at worst make the experience downright unplayable. Framerate is a consistent issue throughout the Half-Life series of games included in The Orange Box. One moment you'll be cruising through the game at 30 frames per second and the next you'll be enjoying a slideshow of series protagonist Gordon Freeman cruising down the river. However, Portal suffers from no such technical hiccups and is on its way to being a pitch-perfect port of the spatial reasoning exercise. Due to a server connection issue, we were unable to get any time with Team Fortress 2.

With the clock ticking, EA has a limited amount of time to fix the glaring issues which plague this port of The Orange Box. Unfortunately, it seems that, once again, PlayStation 3 owners are doomed to suffer through another substandard version of a multiplatform game."

Weird how they're saying Portal seems to be just fine, I mean since it's all run by the source engine. Anyway, I guess this makes me glad I have my PC too so I can get the best of many worlds though I still haven't picked up the Orange Box yet (what kind of Half-Life fan am I?!).

----------------------------- 

*edit*

Okay, It seems that 1up.com has placed their first impressions of the Orange Box very harshly against the PS3. Michael Mcwhertor from Kotaku has written a two part (probably soon to be three) impression of the PS3 Orange Box. He describes it as having some slow down and graphical glitches here and there, but does not describe having anything as bad as a slideshow going on infront of him. 

Here is the link to the second part of the impression, which also has a link to the first impression. 

http://kotaku.com/gaming/playstation-3/the-orange-box-ps3-impressions-volume-two-328149.php

"Having worked my way through the first three chapters of Half-Life 2: Episode Two, I stopped just before one of the episode's key vehicle sequences. This portion of the game was deemed one of the worst, in terms of technical performance. Assessments of those moments are mostly accurate. Yes, the frame rate takes some heavy dips, but at no point did it become unplayable. Slideshow? Nah. At least not for me.

Driving Episode Two's car through a wooded outdoor area, over a nicely rendered stream is where The Orange Box seems to perform at its worst. Fortunately, this section of the game is little more than a leisurely spin in the gutted car, and the game's graphics held up nicely during a more peril-filled driving scene.

There's no doubt that The Orange Box on the PlayStation 3 underperforms in this particular chapter, but it is not game breaking. Some will complain, some simply won't notice. Sorry, but I have little in the way of doom and gloom to serve up to you.

That said, there are a few more obvious hiccups in the second half of Episode Two. As in the first half, panning from side to side in certain levels quickly can cause a frame rate dip. Fortunately, during many of the more action packed moments, the game continues to perform admirably."

Around the Network

Yeah, this was on the cards when Gabe Newell bashed the PS3 and called it a waste of everyones time back when the 360 version released.

Pretty lazy effort. Hopefully people don't buy.

jhlennon1 said:
Yeah, this was on the cards when Gabe Newell bashed the PS3 and called it a waste of everyones time back when the 360 version released.

Pretty lazy effort. Hopefully people don't buy.

Agreed, any game that is made by EA is trash on the PS3. I'm not surprised this game ended up the same way.

I'll take the case!!!

I suppose it might have something to do with Portal not having many open areas, and generally much less stuff moving at once? Anyway, this is what usually happens when a very capable developer makes a game that taxes the hardware, but the job of porting it to another system is given to a much less capable team with less time on their hands. Hope they get it going, as even Playstation owners deserve to experience the genius of the Orange Box. =P

The game won't even be worth half of what the retail price will be.

I'll take the case!!!

Around the Network

PS3 gamers DO NOT BUY THIS!!

1. The dev trashed Ps3

2. the port is bad, do not encourage them..

encourage good ports like COD 4, AC

of which both seem to be on the way to sell well over a million

so those efforts paid off for Infinity Ward & Ubisoft

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

tnx a lot EA and Valve. way to screw me over...

If they're not going to make an effort, why release at all? If it's indeed unplayable at times, will gamers really buy this? Konami did the same with PES 2008, it's time people stop buying crappy ports. As a developer (although not games developer), I feel a bit ashamed when companies release such crappy software.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Portal is less system intensive than Half-Life 2 by far.

And come on... it's EA, what did you expect?

Soriku said:
Honestly, the PS3 can't do better with crap like this.

What's that supposed to mean?