By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Final chip spec for Natal

JaggedSac said:
bobobologna said:

This information isn't anything for most people to get excited for, unless you are really into Natal technology.  It's akin to the southbridge of a motherboard.  Just handles mundane I/O tasks, and some other basic communication between PC components.  The real star of the show on a PC motherboard is the northbridge, and the star of a computer is the CPU/RAM/graphics card.

This information can help give us an idea of what kind of audio/video streams Natal can handle, but until we get some specs on the cameras themselves, it's all speculation and guesswork.

And it's probably not very expensive.  Like I said, it's just handling communications between the various components that make up Natal (between the cameras, IR emitter, microphones, and the XBox360 through the USB cable).  This isn't processing any of the information, just making sure data is getting routed to the right places.

It is running algorithms to determine depth based on the intensity of the detected IR light.

That's probably more signal processing than anything else.  When I said processing, I meant looking at the data and trying to make sense of it.  This just cleans up the data, and sends it to the XBox360, and let's the XBox360 figure out what to do with the data.

I could be wrong of course, but that's my guess.

Around the Network

it's awful similar to the ps3 eye spec ways, i think ps3 eye have 4 mics array.
both are 60fps? if i read correctly.

Xoj said:

Yep, they're the same thing. Good catch!

Xoj said:

4 mic arrays.

eyetoy>natal.

You must be chuffed

What they are saying
Is that all of the tech required to have two chips in Natal before have been modified to be on one chip. They've also enhanced Natal from a software side as well, which was reported earlier this year. Basically what we saw at E3 2009 was old tech, and the new version of Natal is improved. That's why they are calling it a "system on a chip".

This will bring cost down, and improve functionality. Most have been reading the quotes, but not the article in totality to get the big picture. At the same time notice that this is PR talk coming from Primesense, and not Microsoft. This sounds good, but I need to hear more from Microsoft

Around the Network

I wonder if this will also take the place of the 360 web cam as well. If it does, I'm glad I didn't buy that accessory.

JaggedSac said:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/primesense-talks-full-body-motion-control-at-gdc-the-possibilit/

That is AMAZING. How the hell does te camera not get affected by flinging the other arm around. This tech in Natal is actually twice as good as I originally thought. Those comments by Sony recently about problems occuring with body motion as an excuse as to wht thy didnt further develop Eyetoy look silly after watching this. The intelligence of the camera is astonishing. And in M$ software giants hands, the sky's the limit.

So this means the chip that they were supposed to get rid of is improved and blended together with the main chip?

2 chips in 1 (HYBRID)..

My Trigger Happy Sixaxis controller

red_dragon said:
Here is the Prime sense demo from CES 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH33xpAA1k8

At 4.13 he droops the price for the camera, 100$.

uso said:
red_dragon said:
Here is the Prime sense demo from CES 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH33xpAA1k8

At 4.13 he droops the price for the camera, 100$.

Thats not for Natal thats for the pc camera's. Natal might be around that price or it may be lower since MS will probably be mass producing them and bundling them with consoles. Its safe to say the price will be between 50 and a 100 dollars though.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers