By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Final chip spec for Natal

1. thank you for posting natal news that is actually news!!
2. I'm not very tech savy, so can any of this information be dumbed down? like, do we have any estimates on how much the chip costs?

Around the Network

Ya, I know, I spread eagle when i play. I need more room!

Galaki said:
Ya, I know, I spread eagle when i play. I need more room!

What's that suppose to mean?

http://www.primesense.com/category/primesense_chip

"The PS1080 SoC is a multi-sense system, providing a synchronized depth image, color image and audio stream. The PS1080 includes a USB 2.0 PHY, whose USB 2.0 interface is used to pass all data to the host. The PS1080 makes no assumptions about the host device CPU – all depth acquisition algorithms run on the PS1080, with only a minimal USB communication layer running on the host. This feature provides depth acquisition capabilities even to computationally limited host devices.

The PS1080 is PrimeSense’s second chip generation, and is already produced in mass-market quantities."

JaggedSac said:

http://www.primesense.com/category/primesense_chip

"The PS1080 SoC is a multi-sense system, providing a synchronized depth image, color image and audio stream. The PS1080 includes a USB 2.0 PHY, whose USB 2.0 interface is used to pass all data to the host. The PS1080 makes no assumptions about the host device CPU – all depth acquisition algorithms run on the PS1080, with only a minimal USB communication layer running on the host. This feature provides depth acquisition capabilities even to computationally limited host devices.

The PS1080 is PrimeSense’s second chip generation, and is already produced in mass-market quantities."

thanks for the link

Around the Network

Looks like these guys were right:http://www.vccafe.com/2009/06/23/3dv-systems-and-primesense-are-the-israeli-firms-behind-microsofts-project-natal/

So it appears that MS got PrimeSense and 3DV for hardware and perhaps gesture solutions, and they developed the neural network skeletal system software in-house.

Also, by what PrimeSense is saying on their site, the chips are already mass produced and products utilizing them will be available at mass market prices.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/11/primesense-talks-full-body-motion-control-at-gdc-the-possibilit/

kitler53 said:
2. I'm not very tech savy, so can any of this information be dumbed down? like, do we have any estimates on how much the chip costs?

This information isn't anything for most people to get excited for, unless you are really into Natal technology.  It's akin to the southbridge of a motherboard.  Just handles mundane I/O tasks, and some other basic communication between PC components.  The real star of the show on a PC motherboard is the northbridge, and the star of a computer is the CPU/RAM/graphics card.

This information can help give us an idea of what kind of audio/video streams Natal can handle, but until we get some specs on the cameras themselves, it's all speculation and guesswork.

And it's probably not very expensive.  Like I said, it's just handling communications between the various components that make up Natal (between the cameras, IR emitter, microphones, and the XBox360 through the USB cable).  This isn't processing any of the information, just making sure data is getting routed to the right places.

bobobologna said:
kitler53 said:

This information isn't anything for most people to get excited for, unless you are really into Natal technology.  It's akin to the southbridge of a motherboard.  Just handles mundane I/O tasks, and some other basic communication between PC components.  The real star of the show on a PC motherboard is the northbridge, and the star of a computer is the CPU/RAM/graphics card.

This information can help give us an idea of what kind of audio/video streams Natal can handle, but until we get some specs on the cameras themselves, it's all speculation and guesswork.

And it's probably not very expensive.  Like I said, it's just handling communications between the various components that make up Natal (between the cameras, IR emitter, microphones, and the XBox360 through the USB cable).  This isn't processing any of the information, just making sure data is getting routed to the right places.

oh okay, thanks.    and yes, i am pretty interested in natal although really just the application side of things.

bobobologna said:

It is running algorithms to determine depth based on the intensity of the detected IR light.