By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Michael Pachter Responds! Thoughts on the Wii Vitality Sensor

Two weeks ago, on Monday, March 15, 2010, I posted up a blog titled, "Analyzing the Analyst: Michael Pachter is Wrong".

I included in a paragraph, "If you would like to issue a reply to me directly, my email is CoffeewithGames@gmail.com."

Well, I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened my email and saw a response from Mr. Pachter himself!

I had shown in my original post, three points I thought Mr. Pachter was incorrect about in one of his statements.
One thing Mr. Pachter had said, I disagreed with was, 'Unlike the PS3, with multiple high-profile exclusives and the newly-announced Move Controller, and the Xbox 360, with Project Natal, the Wii lacks an important upcoming catalyst."

I said in response to that, "We don't know if Nintendo will show anything new this year at E3, but we do know they'll be showing the Wii Vitality Sensor, which was first shown at last year's E3.
I think Mr. Pachter again is dismissing or ignoring something coming to the Wii, that may very well be '...an important catalyst...' for the system."

What did Mr. Pachter say in response to that in the email, about the Wii Vitality Sensor being a possible catalyst?

Mr. Pachter said, "We can agree to disagree about the Wii Vitality Sensor.  It looks tremendously stupid to me, but I'm sure I'm not the target market."

I'll be posting Mr. Pachter's other responses later this week.

Question:
Do you think Mr. Pachter is correct in dismissing the Wii Vitality Sensor, and not seeing it as a possible catalyst for the Wii, compared to Sony's Move and Microsoft's Project Natal?

http://coffeewithgames.blogspot.com/2010/03/michael-pachter-responds-thoughts-on.html

Around the Network

Sounds like the Vitality Sensor will be big.

I think given their track record over the last couple of years it's foolish to dismiss anything Nintendo is working on.

Furthermore when was the last time Pachter didn't try to dismiss or downplay something that was coming to the Wii? Considering he is supposed to analyze he does seem to be be pretty blinkered when it comes to the Wii or anything related to it.

You should ask him:

As analyst aren´t you supposed to look beyond your own gaming needs and see if there is a market for VS even if you are not the target market?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

it could be big, but we don't know if it will be. with wiifit, we kind of knew day one, because they showed it off with software, and many people HAD to get it.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

Around the Network

Since it still hasn't been shown, how can anyone yet predict its success or failure? Nintendo has a history of both, you know.

Mr. Pachter said, "We can agree to disagree about the Wii Vitality Sensor.  It looks tremendously stupid to me, but I'm sure I'm not the target market."

I'll be posting Mr. Pachter's other responses later this week.

Question:
Do you think Mr. Pachter is correct in dismissing the Wii Vitality Sensor, and not seeing it as a possible catalyst for the Wii, compared to Sony's Move and Microsoft's Project Natal?

Pachter is wrong, as always. Sonys Move is stupid, a "Wii too" product that will have no impact on the market.

The Vitaly Sensor will be Nintendos next hit for the Wii.

Pachter also ignores the many core games for the Wii in 2010. Many PS3/Xbox360 gamers will buy a Wii for games like MH3, Zelda2, the JRPGs (like Tales of Graces, Arc Rise Fantasia, Xenoblade, The Last Story) etc.

This ought to turn out great. I remember all the guys just like him saying how awfully stupid, dumb, and unnecessary the Wii Remote and Balance Board looked and how they'd never succeed. XD They just *want* to see Nintendo fail, for some unfathomable reason they seem to feel extremely threatened by the big N.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

When I see an article with Pachter's name in the title, I know that it is going to be something ignorant in the same way as when you hear someone start a sentence with "I'm not racist, but...."

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
When I see an article with Pachter's name in the title, I know that it is going to be something ignorant in the same way as when you hear someone start a sentence with "I'm not racist, but...."

That is how I see it myself. IT very well may fail, but to say forsure it will after all that has happened this gen is just dumb.