By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony rekindles rumors of PSP phone

Sony rekindles rumors of PSP phone

Posted Nov 22nd 2007 7:02AM by Darren Murph
Filed under: Cellphones, Gaming

It's been a hot minute since we've heard any marginally believable chatter surrounding the so-called PSP phone, but the idea of such a device has been given new life thanks to Sony Computer Entertainment co-chief operating officer Jim Ryan. Apparently, Mr. Ryan told the India Times that the "PlayStation is a proven success and so is Sony Ericsson," and that "convergence with the two arms working together is definitely plausible." Granted, he did note that it could be quite some time before such a device would see the market, and that if indeed it did, it would likely resemble a handheld gaming system with a phone blended in and not vice-versa. So yeah, we're not really any closer to knowing whether this thing truly is somewhere in the pipeline, but here's to hoping that we don't have to wait another year or so to find out more.

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova

Around the Network

So will it be like a video phone or something? cause holding that against your ear looks unpleasent.

Go, Sony! Got the N-Gage way! Seriously, what are they thinking!?!?

It will likely be part of the PSP2.

Just don't put TOO much emphasis on it...

I think the regulars can piece the rest together.

N-Gage popped also into my mind, although, Nokia has plans for the "N-Gage 2", which isn't an independent device as N-Gage was but more like a feature in certain phone models (what i predicted, when N-Gage originally was released).
Anyway, Sony already has Cybershot phones, so why not PSP phones too.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I like the idea of Games console first, phone second.

However, cramping all that crap in it for PSP2 is just not learning from your mistakes, who the hell is going to buy it?

Answer: Me of course, but not mass market.

People will have a DS(2) and a mobile phone, why buy a PSP2 cause it has a built in phone?

Why not ditch the DS2 and your phone and get a PSP2!!! But wait why does everyone have an Ipod and a DS in todays gen...?

Parents will not buy this for their kids, they barely buy PSP's for their kids!

Not to mention implementing a phone would sure as hell not make it any cheaper than the PSP's launch price, which was what, more then twice the DS?

Don't even get me started on how much it would suck to have to recharge your PSP Phone every single day.

I predict mass failure.

I remember watching the Jetsons as a kid and they had these cool mobile phones which allowed you to do tons of cool stuff. As an adult I'd call it multitasking, back then I described it as WOW and that picture of the PSP phone brings me back to it.

I don't see this phone succeeding for being just a psp with phone or even making a huge increase in gamesales, but in a world filled with people who use their mobile phone as the ultimate symbol of fortune and as a piece of status I am sure this product will sell a whole lot.

Mobile gaming is a hugely expanding market and getting a mobile that emphasises those features might just hit the bullseye. It's fairly easy to say: Hey, the Ngace did poorly and so will this one but the market has changed dramaticly in favour of gaming since that and those figures might have become less relevant.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

OK , this is a bad idea ... but who knows ... I may actually buy one if they make it :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Isnt this what killed playstation in the first place? Too much emphasis of playstation with stuff not related to gamming? They need to be like nintendo and just keep it a gamming platform. Its killing them.

When I think of Nintendo, I think of games, and mario and hand held games, when I think of xbox, I think of Halo, and xbox live, when I think of playstation, I think of blue ray, umd movies, creepy babies, octopus boxes, and games as an after thought.