By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Quick HDMI question

Hey everyone,

I've got a quick question I need a HDMI cable for my PS3 and was looking first for the Sony cable, but that one is hardly available. So what's the best alternative? I need a HDMI cable which supports from 480p up to 1080i, since I have a HD Ready LCD Sony Bravia TV. I need 480p for my PS / PS2 games, as 720p doesn't do any good. What brand is any good? I'm not really looking for some cheap rip off cable for only a few Dollars / Euro's, but neither I'd like to pay a fortune for it.

And since I have a JP PS3, so NTSC (PS/PS2), does it matter when I buy the HDMI cable from the US / Japan or from Europe?

Thanks for the help!

Edit: a cable of 3 meter is enough ;)

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

Hey Onna. I have a spiffy setup as well. I have the Bravia too =] (2 of them actually. Both 52"). Which one do you have? I have all kinds of stuff hooked up to it so feel free to ask away any questions you have. (360, ps3, wii, hddvd player, directtv, etc). I do have an HDMI cable in the ps3 and it works great. The picture is very very clear and crisp. Honestly though, I dont know who makes it. I have my setup all tucked away with twisty ties and such. At any rate, if you dont know much about HDMI cables, this is a good read: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&message.id=828972#M828972

Monster cables are popular but pricey. Ive heard monoprice.com sells good quality cheap cables. Sorry I cant provide all the info you probably want.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

It doesn't matter where you buy your cable from. HDMI is general standard everywhere, unlike SCART, which existed only in Europe.

But generally about cables, it basically doesn't matter what kind of cables are you going to buy, if you stick them to their place and leave it there. The thing, IMO, you should be watching when buying cables, is what material the connector is coated with (for indoor use, it doesn't matter that much) and the thickness of the cable itself, since the more thick ones tend to be better protected.
And i wouldn't suggest buying the most expensive cable, since in practice they are just for bullshitting your money, cheaper ones practically offer you the same quality anyway (not still the cheapest ones).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

You can get component cables and go up to 1080i for $15 (my component cables work with PS1/PS2/PS3/Xbox/360, but they're gamestop branded so who knows how long they'll last).

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend going with ones in the stores unless you can find them cheap. The last time I saw (which was a month or two after the PS3 came out), the official PS3 HDMI's were like $60. A local supermarket (Meijers) had an HDMI for around $25 (I think 6ft too). However, I bought the two 6ft HDMI cables we use at home for the PS3 and the HD cable box from www.newegg.com for $10 each ($15 after shipping).

Compared to getting the monster brand ones where it's like $99 for freaken 3-6ft. . . ugh...

Thanks to the advices, but do they all support 480p as well? Up to 1080i of course. But I need 480p for my PS2 / PS games on my PS3.

Thanks again.

Around the Network

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=HDMI%5C&x=0&y=0

Plenty of cheap HDMI cables at Newegg.com. 

*~Onna76~* said:
Thanks to the advices, but do they all support 480p as well? Up to 1080i of course. But I need 480p for my PS2 / PS games on my PS3.

Thanks again.

Yes it does. When we say that component or HDMI supports up to 1080i or 1080p, it means that it'll support the other resolutions too. 

Okay. IGNORE everything that you've read in this thread thus far. Here's the real deal.

HDMI is a digital signal. Digital signals do not suffer from signal degradation except in extreme cases. It will either come through crystal clear, or suffer from blatantly obvious artifacts and other flaws.

Therefore, unlike analogue cables (component, composite, S-video, SCART), you can get away with buying the cheapest cables you can find, and as long as they're properly insulated, they'll do you fine.

In other words, go out and buy the cheapest cable you can find for HDMI. Pay any more and you're letting the manufacturers rip you off.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Garcian Smith said:
Okay. IGNORE everything that you've read in this thread thus far. Here's the real deal.

HDMI is a digital signal. Digital signals do not suffer from signal degradation except in extreme cases. It will either come through crystal clear, or suffer from blatantly obvious artifacts and other flaws.

Therefore, unlike analogue cables (component, composite, S-video, SCART), you can get away with buying the cheapest cables you can find, and as long as they're properly insulated, they'll do you fine.

In other words, go out and buy the cheapest cable you can find for HDMI. Pay any more and you're letting the manufacturers rip you off.

Agreed on everything else, but the cheapest cables tend to have the worst mechanical durability. But that's why i said they will do if you plug them once and leave them there.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

IllegalPaladin said:
*~Onna76~* said:

Thanks again.

Yes it does. When we say that component or HDMI supports up to 1080i or 1080p, it means that it'll support the other resolutions too. 

Strange, because the Logitech "doesn't", it only supports from 720p and higher, no 480p as far as I've been able to find. Indeed I've found the information sheet in the box with the Sony HDMI which does say 480p and higher.

http://www.livegamer.nl/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=27885

Ondersteunt 720p/1080i/1080p = supports ...

And yes I want a good quality cable, not some very cheap stuff. Not too expensive either, like those monster cable stuff. Buying a console for over 600USD, but then buying a cheap cable for only 6 bucks, that ain't right. I wanted to buy the Sony version but its hardly anywhere available... or is it somewhere?