By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thoughts on the PSP2 and the future of Sony portables.

theprof00 said:

One particularly interesting idea I've been throwing around is a shades based console, similar to the one used in Heavy Rain. A pair of sunglasses and a glove could be amazingly accessible and has a lot of potential for improvement. Additionally, if the hardware was engineered well enough, multiple people could play on the same system, using different pairs of glasses and have a truly unique experience with it.

Sony power glove anyone?

I am Kong.

Strong and passionate, I tend to be misunderstood, sometimes even feared. I don't want to fight, I don't want to cause trouble, all I ask is a little love, and a little peace. If I don't get what I want, I get angry, and throw barrels and flaming oil at whatever's stopping me. What Video Game Character Are You?
Around the Network

Rumor: Sony to release PlayStation phone in 2010

by Jeremy Hill on Mar 4, 2010 at 05:24 PM

This is a story we’ve heard about for a long time. Of course we would all love to see a phone capable to taking full advantage of the PlayStation Network but until now we had given up on the thought.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Sony will release a new smartphone in 2010 that will rival the iPhone. The phone is said to be made by Sony Ericsson. It will be capable of downloading and playing PlayStation games.

In addition to that, WSJ also says Sony is working on a product that is a hybrid between an e-reader, PSP and netbook. It would be a competitor to Apple’s upcoming iPad device.

This story follows reports of Sony looking to unite the PlayStation Network through a number of devices that use a single user ID. The Sony Online service would be spread out across MP3 players, eBook readers, televisions and other devices. A smartphone would certainly cover most of those bases. It would also be a way for Sony to monetize the PlayStation Network which is something the company has expressed interest in. Perhaps instead of Sony directly charging to access the network, it will take a cut from wireless providers every month.

Via [Wall Street Journal]

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Sony Making PlayStation Phone

By Geoffrey Calver Thursday March 4, 2010

The Wall Street Journal reported today that Sony is developing a new lineup of handheld devices to rival Apple as that company continues to make advances in the video game industry with the iPhone and upcoming iPad.

One of the new devices is the oft-rumored but never confirmed smart phone, which will be able to play PlayStation games. In addition to the smart phone that is in development, Sony is also developing a device that will “blur distinctions among a netbook, an e-reader and a PlayStation Portable, or PSP.”

Both the devices will be designed to work with Sony Online Service, which is intended to be a direct competitor to Apple’s iTunes.

According to the article, which drew its information from a source at Sony, the new products will be arriving in 2010. Sony has clarified that prices and specifications are yet to be finalized for the platforms.

Sony is working with Sony Ericsson to create the handset and will take an active role in the creation of the smartphone and portable tablet. Kunimasa Suzuki, Senior Vice President of Sony, is said to be supervising the development of the devices.

http://terminalgamer.com/2010/03/04/sony-making-playstation-phone/

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:

The Wall Street Journal reports that Sony will release a new smartphone in 2010 that will rival the iPhone. The phone is said to be made by Sony Ericsson. It will be capable of downloading and playing PlayStation games.

In addition to that, WSJ also says Sony is working on a product that is a hybrid between an e-reader, PSP and netbook. It would be a competitor to Apple’s upcoming iPad device. th.

This sounds like Sony is moving to consider the DD as the medium of choice as I kind of predicted earlier in this thread.  I think that this will really help sales in the long run. 

supercat said:
joeorc said:

In addition to that, WSJ also says Sony is working on a product that is a hybrid between an e-reader, PSP and netbook. It would be a competitor to Apple’s upcoming iPad device. th.

This sounds like Sony is moving to consider the DD as the medium of choice as I kind of predicted earlier in this thread.  I think that this will really help sales in the long run. 

for the PSP yea, I mean think about how the PSPGo is pretty much near a phone already only thing missing is dedicated phone chip function's

the PSP already does skype.

by Sony doing a dedicated Playstation Smart Phone the market can handle many Smartphone's on the market at one time. so the Market share's are more distributed

between so many device's what's one more added to the Mix. the point being since the Playstation smart phone would be able to have strong 1st party game support, it may give it a unique feel among all the other smart phone's.

and since there is so many carrier's

some may even bid for exclusive contract for this phone. just like Apple did with Iphone An AT&T.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Around the Network
joeorc said:
supercat said:
joeorc said:

for the PSP yea, I mean think about how the PSPGo is pretty much near a phone already only thing missing is dedicated phone chip function's

by Sony doing a dedicated Playstation Smart Phone the market can handle many Smartphone's on the market at one time. so the Market share's are more distributed

between so many device's what's one more added to the Mix. the point being since the Playstation smart phone would be able to have strong 1st party game support, it may give it a unique feel among all the other smart phone's.

some may even bid for exclusive contract for this phone. just like Apple did with Iphone An AT&T.

Adding phone functions to a portable gaming device could add 100-$150 to the cost, as you'd need to add an internal antennae, speaker for input and output, but adding gaming functions to a phone won't add a lot of cost at all.   It will need a very slight upgrade from whatever the Iphone currently has, to get PSP-level games on it.  Since phones sell many times over that of gaming devices, i'd wager that this would be a big thing for Sony.  It basically shouldnt matter if the thing costs three or four hundred any more, because people will be buying it to have a premium phone, and a lot of people do.

The shades-idea sounds great,is it available now?

supercat said:
joeorc said:
supercat said:
joeorc said:

Adding phone functions to a portable gaming device could add 100-$150 to the cost, as you'd need to add an internal antennae, speaker for input and output, but adding gaming functions to a phone won't add a lot of cost at all.   It will need a very slight upgrade from whatever the Iphone currently has, to get PSP-level games on it.  Since phones sell many times over that of gaming devices, i'd wager that this would be a big thing for Sony.  It basically shouldnt matter if the thing costs three or four hundred any more, because people will be buying it to have a premium phone, and a lot of people do.

Exactly like for example:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_x1-2246.php

the hardware is there they could even use the MIPS processor's in it to make the compatability with existing application's for the PSP run native on the PSP PHONE:

FOR EXAMPLE:

The current PSP's have 2 of these processor's

MIPS R4000 CPU's

so the next 2 processor's may be

MIPS RM7000 CPU'S

I AM BOLO

ps:

JayLam said:

There is already devices that have those chips already inside like the Droid cell phone

here's a demo:

Recently at a Game Developers Conference also known as GDC, developers demonstrated the PowerVR GPU chip inside the Motorola Droid. They claimed that our cell phone handsets in three years will have graphics comparable to PlayStation 3, which is amazing; I can’t imagine playing my favorite PlayStation 3 games on my cell phone with superior graphics will feel like. These technologies are already being designed and developed, in the mean time check out this cool demonstration the developers are showing on the video.

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
JayLam said:

There is already devices that have those chips already inside like the Droid cell phone

here's a demo:

Recently at a Game Developers Conference also known as GDC, developers demonstrated the PowerVR GPU chip inside the Motorola Droid. They claimed that our cell phone handsets in three years will have graphics comparable to PlayStation 3, which is amazing; I can’t imagine playing my favorite PlayStation 3 games on my cell phone with superior graphics will feel like. These technologies are already being designed and developed, in the mean time check out this cool demonstration the developers are showing on the video.

I palyed Heavy Rain last weekend and felt the shades technology in the game is amazing and intresting,and thought if it were available for working,we may much more free.now i found it was already available.what a crazy world...