By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thoughts on the PSP2 and the future of Sony portables.

the next portable playstation will be I think a PSPphone

with more investment into 1st party PSP game's like they are doing with the PS3.

a PSP smartphone would do pretty well and thus avoid the DS market and concentrate on the smartphone market with a dedicated smartphone game machine.

with Exclusives only to that smartphone.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
CommonMan said:
archbrix said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sony should forget about hand-helds and focus on the PS3. They did remarkably well in the console space before concentrating on portable gaming. The only way I see them doing well in this market is to create an iPhone type device. They still wouldn't touch Nintendo's market but they could at least find their niche with a system that was a phone, mp3 player, etc., plus house all of their first-party exclusives.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but just because it's been said doesn't mean it's not true. So many of the games the PSP is trying to make NEED dual analog to be GREAT, they can be "playable" or "okay" without it, but who wants that?

The DS is NOT a multimedia machine, has anyone noticed that? Nintendo has sold a gazillion of them too, why should the PSP try to be an everything machine, you end up with nothing being outstanding. Make it a GREAT gaming machine first, focus on software first, make it multifunction only if you can and it makes sense.

The PSP offering multifunction gives it more selling points, though.  Without it the only reason to buy one is as a game player, which for you and me might be great, but unfortunately for Sony, would pit them DIRECTLY against Nintendo, and IMO they just can't compete there... not right now anyway.  Nintendo currently has such a stranglehold on the portable market that few people would buy an alternative company's dedicated hand-held game system.

I think that going 3D would be a logical choice.... People will not have to get a 3D TV which is not that popular yet.... plus they are already working on the tech for it.... hopefully

Another thing which would be cool would be to have ps2 classics on the store and maybe dreamcast, sega saturn and megadrive classics too. Basically classics...

"In making that statement, I am saying that the things that haven't been invented are either financially impossible, or not viable or marketable except to the gamers. Dual analogs, for example. Definitely possible. Blue Ocean? Not really. Glasses/virtual reality based...definitely possible, blue ocean? Yes...fincancially/etc affordable? No."

Of course none of those are blue ocean. The point of blue ocean is to use something OTHER than the standards, either implemented or explored.

"Think about it and get back to me with an idea."

SONY is supposed to come up with the idea, not me. If you had any clue about how the blue ocean worked, you would know that.

You're acting as though the tech you're discussing is the limit of what Sony can do, when it's actually thinking that is the limit that puts you more in the red ocean mentality than anything else.

"The basic concept of a portable is that it's small, performs a function that is normally relegated to something larger or more expensive, and you have to look at a screen and have some kind of input.

Right now, there are literally hundreds, if not thousands of devices that fit those categories in varying aspects and prices."

Why are you bringing up those? The PSP already is a device, a gaming device. The DS didn't use the touch screen to be a PDA. It used the touch screen to enhance its use. Sony could possibly implement something from another device to enhance gaming in a way that appeals to the mainstream, but that doesn't mean the existing device matters to it.

"But just keep in mind that the 3ds is going to severely disrupt the 3d market by providing a mainstream product that makes the rest look dated. And so far, it is an untapped market. So, Sony can either jump in that, or come up with its own idea."

Come up with its own idea is the very point I'm trying to make hear.

"So, think of an idea, and get back to me"

How would that help Sony? THEY need to come up with an idea. I come up with one, and it's just something on a message board. Are you even thinking about how this would work?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
antfromtashkent said:
I think that going 3D would be a logical choice.... People will not have to get a 3D which is not that popular yet.... plus they are already working on the tech for it.... hopefully

I think by going to the smartphone market would put Sony in a better position than into the handheld market. because if Sony indeed's goes the Smartphone route, they like apple would get included into the handheld market share market without directly competeing with Nintendo.

because that's exactly what Apple is getting right now. they are being counted as steeling market share away from Sony in the handheld gaming market, So Sony may as well go to the smartphone market.

already the PSPGo already has solid state storage , bluetooth, and can already be used as a  skype phone.

it's only a matter of time before Sony goes all in. to make a dedicated PSP cellphone, the only thing i wonder will it be

GSM or CDMA?

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

supercat said:
I think that Sony will be able to do a lot for itself by moving its games to DD to avoid the costs of printing games and shipping them out.

Sony will also need a place on the PSN for every unique user to store games already purchased so that if you get tired of playing the 3-4 games that you have stored on the PSPgo, then you can switch them out with other ones and bring them back whenever you like. This would be an ideal thing to add for PSN's upcoming premium features and really, encourage more sales.

Sony is also going to have to bring down the cost for the PSP go, but if it can bring it down say $40, this will greatly extend its life.

I agree. I would even buy one then as portable media player.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

theprof00 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"The DS is NOT a multimedia machine, has anyone noticed that? Nintendo has sold a gazillion of them too, why should the PSP try to be an everything machine, you end up with nothing being outstanding. Make it a GREAT gaming machine first, focus on software first, make it multifunction only if you can and it makes sense."

That and go for a form of gaming Nintendo isn't trying. Not "bigger and more detailed" though.

The only thing I can imagine is MMOs, Facebook type gaming, and maybe a legitimate gambling network.

Why are you assuming what you think they can implement matters? You aren't a bigwig at Sony. The point is that they themselves can think of something, and it's actually BETTER that you don't think of it, as it shows that fewer people other than Sony are thinking of it.

But if you want to think of what Sony can do, drop everything you like as a possbility. I mean it. Think of things that would piss you off, or at least make you think Sony had lost their minds. That is what most Blue Ocean products are. They are something the red ocean laughs at. If you are a part of the gaming enthusiast crowd, but you want Sony to succeed in their next handheld, you should hope what they do makes you very upset.

Know why? Because gaming enthusiast Nintendo fans were upset as hell when we first saw the Wiimote.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

joeorc said:
antfromtashkent said:
I think that going 3D would be a logical choice.... People will not have to get a 3D TV which is not that popular yet.... plus they are already working on the tech for it.... hopefully

I think by going to the smartphone market would put Sony in a better position than into the handheld market. because if Sony indeed's goes the Smartphone route, they like apple would get included into the handheld market share market without directly competeing with Nintendo.

because that's exactly what Apple is getting right now. they are being counted as steeling market share away from Sony in the handheld gaming market, So Sony may as well go to the smartphone market.

already the PSPGo already has solid state storage , bluetooth, and can already be used as a  skype phone.

it's only a matter of time before Sony goes all in. to make a dedicated PSP cellphone, the only thing i wonder will it be

GSM or CDMA?

Sony tryed the phone market already with less than favorable results :P

LordTheNightKnight said:
theprof00 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"The DS is NOT a multimedia machine, has anyone noticed that? Nintendo has sold a gazillion of them too, why should the PSP try to be an everything machine, you end up with nothing being outstanding. Make it a GREAT gaming machine first, focus on software first, make it multifunction only if you can and it makes sense."

That and go for a form of gaming Nintendo isn't trying. Not "bigger and more detailed" though.

The only thing I can imagine is MMOs, Facebook type gaming, and maybe a legitimate gambling network.

Why are you assuming what you think they can implement matters? You aren't a bigwig at Sony. The point is that they themselves can think of something, and it's actually BETTER that you don't think of it, as it shows that fewer people other than Sony are thinking of it.

But if you want to think of what Sony can do, drop everything you like as a possbility. I mean it. Think of things that would piss you off, or at least make you think Sony had lost their minds. That is what most Blue Ocean products are. They are something the red ocean laughs at. If you are a part of the gaming enthusiast crowd, but you want Sony to succeed in their next handheld, you should hope what they do makes you very upset.

Know why? Because gaming enthusiast Nintendo fans were upset as hell when we first saw the Wiimote.

I agree.

People had doubt with DS when it was first announced (dual screen? with a stylus?) and so was Wiimote. iPhone/iPod touch had better reception when it was announced but it made touch screen the standard on all portable devices. What Sony needs to do is to think of something that's totally out there and try tomake it the standard. That would be the next PSP's niche. They tried with PSP Go and it failed. That doesn't mean they have to stop trying.

On a side note, I have an idea. Make the next PSP to have a bility to turn into a 3D glasses. In additon to be a portable multimedia/gaming device, it can be the device that enable the enjoyment of 3D in your living room. And it would present good value for consumer. WIN!

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.