By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thoughts on the PSP2 and the future of Sony portables.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"A slick looking device with strong games will push hardware for anything."

Take out the "slick looking" part. Many mainstream hardware of any kind has been anything but slick.

"LocoRoco and Patapon are both strong PSP titles."

No. Those are games that are really good from what I heard, but not strong enough to push hardware. You need games that lots of people want for your system. Often those games are the least you'd expect (like Monster Hunter moving more PSPs than GTA).

Well Monster Hunter would obviously hit the successor, but I was going for games that would easily promote the new stuff like the built in motion features (LocoRoco).

Killzone: Rebel Insurrection (for the realistic graphics and the 2 analog sticks).

and Patapon 3 (for being Patapon)

We would also see WipeOut for PSP2 (or PSP Squared as I came up with)

God of War: Revenge (or something of that nature)

Etc.

Around the Network

They can also add some kind of fuctionality with the PlayStation Move.

Some ARG action.

make it a phone, and it will fly off shelves

mM
leo-j said:

I'm guessing Skype isn't enough.

Oh well. As long as it's not an exclusive thing like the what AT&T has with IPhone (unless you unlock it) then I'm fine with it being a phone.

theprof00 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Take out the "slick looking" part. Many mainstream hardware of any kind has been anything but slick.

No. Those are games that are really good from what I heard, but not strong enough to push hardware. You need games that lots of people want for your system. Often those games are the least you'd expect (like Monster Hunter moving more PSPs than GTA).

I agree. When it comes to software, Sony really needs to start branching out. They should copy the Nintendo strategy of showing developers what is possible on the system through the warioware demonstrations.

However, that also means that they are going to need some type of input that differs from the current analog based control style. They need to move toward a touch-screen based input or something similar that can allow for a lot of variation.

I will disagree, though, on a similar note. While those games are not hardware sellers, they contribute to an environment that is marketable. Individually, they don't hold much weight, but as part of a library, they offer the kind of diversity that help appeal to a larger demographic. For example, if each of those games sells 100 consoles a week, it's insignificant, but as part of a larger whole, it starts to make a difference. Loco-roco and patapon need to be on the system, as well as many others that display the kind of innovative interactive experience that they do.

I was just addressing the claim those would push hardware. Diversity like that is of course good, but a system needs the system sellers first ane foremost.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:
leo-j said:

Oh well. As long as it's not an exclusive thing like the what AT&T has with IPhone (unless you unlock it) then I'm fine with it being a phone.

I think a great move would be to have free calling using wifi or some kind of internet service.

Since they have mentioned making psp2 and other sony products globally connected via a singular PSN account, it would be interesting if they created some kind of subscription based service which would provide content for all services as well as satellite internet or something that could allow for the free calling or worldwide internet connection.

theprof00 said:
Tridrakious said:
leo-j said:

I think a great move would be to have free calling using wifi or some kind of internet service.

Since they have mentioned making psp2 and other sony products globally connected via a singular PSN account, it would be interesting if they created some kind of subscription based service which would provide content for all services as well as satellite internet or something that could allow for the free calling or worldwide internet connection.

The PSN as a mobile service provider.

Interesting. Sony could really start raking in the cash from that.

LordTheNightKnight said:
theprof00 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I agree. When it comes to software, Sony really needs to start branching out. They should copy the Nintendo strategy of showing developers what is possible on the system through the warioware demonstrations.

However, that also means that they are going to need some type of input that differs from the current analog based control style. They need to move toward a touch-screen based input or something similar that can allow for a lot of variation.

I will disagree, though, on a similar note. While those games are not hardware sellers, they contribute to an environment that is marketable. Individually, they don't hold much weight, but as part of a library, they offer the kind of diversity that help appeal to a larger demographic. For example, if each of those games sells 100 consoles a week, it's insignificant, but as part of a larger whole, it starts to make a difference. Loco-roco and patapon need to be on the system, as well as many others that display the kind of innovative interactive experience that they do.

I was just addressing the claim those would push hardware. Diversity like that is of course good, but a system needs the system sellers first ane foremost.

yes I know... I was just extrapolating. While it will need system sellers, I think he is right in a sense...though not the one he is specifically mentioning. While not being a necessary requirement to have those games immediately, a sense of emergency urgency for those types of games and to develop a mentality which creates games like those is required from the get-go. :P

I was just thinking about a glasses based peripheral and thought of some really cool applications.

Imagine getting directions from google and having the streets highlighted or bouncing arrows indicating which direction you are supposed to go.

Imagine walking by a basketball court and wishing you had a ball. No problem. Throw on the shades, and use a virtual basketball to shoot some hoops.

Imagine a virtual instruction manual that could prompt you on the next thing you had to do without having to look through the actual manual.

I don't care who makes it. MAKE IT SO!