By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why so many B:BC 2, Killzone 2 and JRPG fanboys hate Modern Warfare 2?

its dull , its ridiculous the storyline is just movie scenes stuck together and the gameplay is very noob friendly. almost nothing in it is worth buying for.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network
soulsamurai said:
Random Canadian said:
pizzahut451 said:

Dont wanna start anything, but i really wanna know why is MW2 getting so much hate. Yeah, sure its a bit over rated, but that doesnt mean you have to kill IW. There are tons of other overrated shooters out there too. Resistance:FOM, ODST,KZ2... Also, if you have problem with cheaters, just report them to IW. Oh and using ''Commando'' booster IS NOT CHEATING!!!! So why so much hate for Moern Warfare 2?Is it because B:BC2 will never be rated higher than Modern Warfare game? Or because B:BC2 players get their ass kicked online every time? Or because MW became the most popular series in gaming and that makse JRPG fanboys mad because their favourite genre is going is greatly loosing popularity. Or because MW2 sells more in day 1 than Killzone 2 LTD?

You have got to be fucking kidding me, I just got MAG 2 days ago and its so easy to spot MW2lolzroxor kids, running around like they are a 1 man army getting killed or just running around trying to get a K/D ratio.

Any squad in MAG would rather have a noob that can follow orders then the best MW2 "omgimsol33t" douchbags

You know now that I think about it.....that's true....I would much rather have a shitty player actually following orders then some idiot off holding his dick on the other side of the map.

And It's extremely easy to spot a MW player.....rediculously easy. Don't get me wrong I played MW2, but I also knew MAG was going to be more team based and quickly learned. What's upsetting is when you get a high level MW player who gets squad leader and doesn't know how to FRAGO anything.....if your bloody level 46....you've been playing long enouph that you should know how to set a FRAGO.

Speaking of MAG, over this past double XP weekend I rented the game and took my Raven character from 31 to 60, lol. I try to place priority on objectives and healing team mates, yet I can still do my part in clearing out the enemy. I'm curious to know how often you need to FragO something because I'll constantly FragO an objective not only to remind the squad about it every now and then, but also when the objective switches hands. I've sometimes thought that it could get a little annoying for the people in the squad, but I want my leadership points so what the heck :P

I also had probably the best time in a multiplayer game in quite a while when I was invited to a group soon after I started playing. I ended up spending practically the entire weekend with that group of people (all of which had vetted at least once or twice) and we were all working together, using our mics and kicking ass even if our faction lost the battle.

----

On topic, I think the possible explanations in the OP are rather dumb. Personally, I don't like Modern Warfare 2 for a number of reasons (mostly touched on by others in the thread) and I come from a console and PC gaming background. I couldn't care less about it having record breaking sales or high review scores.

Squilliam said:
Pellefant said:
Squilliam said:
Elitism.

Yes just one word.

You may be right about that, to a degree.

But I think also MW2 is taking some heat from frustrated Pc gamers who feel that with the emphasis on consoles lately, some genres are actually devolving. And I personally feel that FPS are among those genres. Don't get me wrong...I enjoy FPS on consoles, but they are kind of laid back. One just sort of cruises through them. And that's fine. But sometimes you just want something more.

I think many people feel it's a step back, and with the sales it's getting is a bad omen for things to come.

Its more than that. Essentially any great selling game is a more casual game at heart and the more core/hardcore gamers look down upon those types of gamers. Casual players don't know anything about balance nor do they care that they have to buy a map pack with 2/5 maps from a previous game, they just want to play and enjoy the game. All of the negatives listed previously are irrelevant if the average player doesn't notice. You'll see here that the hardcore gamers on this site just want to be the centre of attention and they can't understand why 'bad' games like Mario Kart, Halo, Call of Duty etc sell so well and nor are they happy about it because it makes them realise how small they are in the market and how little market power they actually have.

Well yes, but It doesn't change the fact that many really see it as a step back from what they're used to in the Pc world. Why should one only cater to the "casual" players?

I don't have a problem with MW2 at all. I think a lot of players are venting their frustration. And I don't have a problem with that either. Still I would like to see some more big quality shooters made only for the Pc. Because it's my preference.

And in that sence I hope not all shooters will be like MW2.

But it's really late (six in the morning late) and I'm having a hard time making any sense anymore.

Long story short: I think you're probably right about a lot of things. But I also think I am:) Haha

And now I'm off to bed.

IllegalPaladin said:
soulsamurai said:
Random Canadian said:
pizzahut451 said:

Dont wanna start anything, but i really wanna know why is MW2 getting so much hate. Yeah, sure its a bit over rated, but that doesnt mean you have to kill IW. There are tons of other overrated shooters out there too. Resistance:FOM, ODST,KZ2... Also, if you have problem with cheaters, just report them to IW. Oh and using ''Commando'' booster IS NOT CHEATING!!!! So why so much hate for Moern Warfare 2?Is it because B:BC2 will never be rated higher than Modern Warfare game? Or because B:BC2 players get their ass kicked online every time? Or because MW became the most popular series in gaming and that makse JRPG fanboys mad because their favourite genre is going is greatly loosing popularity. Or because MW2 sells more in day 1 than Killzone 2 LTD?

You have got to be fucking kidding me, I just got MAG 2 days ago and its so easy to spot MW2lolzroxor kids, running around like they are a 1 man army getting killed or just running around trying to get a K/D ratio.

Any squad in MAG would rather have a noob that can follow orders then the best MW2 "omgimsol33t" douchbags

You know now that I think about it.....that's true....I would much rather have a shitty player actually following orders then some idiot off holding his dick on the other side of the map.

And It's extremely easy to spot a MW player.....rediculously easy. Don't get me wrong I played MW2, but I also knew MAG was going to be more team based and quickly learned. What's upsetting is when you get a high level MW player who gets squad leader and doesn't know how to FRAGO anything.....if your bloody level 46....you've been playing long enouph that you should know how to set a FRAGO.

Speaking of MAG, over this past double XP weekend I rented the game and took my Raven character from 31 to 60, lol. I try to place priority on objectives and healing team mates, yet I can still do my part in clearing out the enemy. I'm curious to know how often you need to FragO something because I'll constantly FragO an objective not only to remind the squad about it every now and then, but also when the objective switches hands. I've sometimes thought that it could get a little annoying for the people in the squad, but I want my leadership points so what the heck :P

I also had probably the best time in a multiplayer game in quite a while when I was invited to a group soon after I started playing. I ended up spending practically the entire weekend with that group of people (all of which had vetted at least once or twice) and we were all working together, using our mics and kicking ass even if our faction lost the battle.

----

On topic, I think the possible explanations in the OP are rather dumb. Personally, I don't like Modern Warfare 2 for a number of reasons (mostly touched on by others in the thread) and I come from a console and PC gaming background. I couldn't care less about it having record breaking sales or high review scores.

The objective switches back when someone disarms a mine at the bunker or whatever was frago'd. It's really annoying because you won't notice the frago changed back sometimes.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Pellefant said:
Squilliam said:

Its more than that. Essentially any great selling game is a more casual game at heart and the more core/hardcore gamers look down upon those types of gamers. Casual players don't know anything about balance nor do they care that they have to buy a map pack with 2/5 maps from a previous game, they just want to play and enjoy the game. All of the negatives listed previously are irrelevant if the average player doesn't notice. You'll see here that the hardcore gamers on this site just want to be the centre of attention and they can't understand why 'bad' games like Mario Kart, Halo, Call of Duty etc sell so well and nor are they happy about it because it makes them realise how small they are in the market and how little market power they actually have.

Well yes, but It doesn't change the fact that many really see it as a step back from what they're used to in the Pc world. Why should one only cater to the "casual" players?

I don't have a problem with MW2 at all. I think a lot of players are venting their frustration. And I don't have a problem with that either. Still I would like to see some more big quality shooters made only for the Pc. Because it's my preference.

And in that sence I hope not all shooters will be like MW2.

But it's really late (six in the morning late) and I'm having a hard time making any sense anymore.

Long story short: I think you're probably right about a lot of things. But I also think I am:) Haha

And now I'm off to bed.

The hardcore players just don't make up the numbers to justify making the graphically rich and challenging games that they want. At best the developers can satisfy a wider range of people and at worst they can only satisfy the larger market as a whole. Games have to become simpler and easier to play because thats where the widest wedge of the market is. Its ok to not like MW2, I don't particularly either but at the same time there has to be an acceptance of the types of games that the more casual audience likes to play.

Good night dude you shouldn't stay up too late.

You make good points.

Tease.

Around the Network

maybe if more people play shooters other than COD, they will realize just how overrated that casual FPS is.

Sure, IW did a great job in attracting casuals, but the MW series has everything i hate when it comes to shooters. Killstreaks encourage camping and selfish play over teamwork and objectives. Bad map designs, mediocre campaigns with crap stories, simplistic gameplay that seldom rewards tactical moves and i don't need a MP reward system that plays like a jackpot machine.

MW2 is the most popular FPS right now, but there are more than enough reasons for some people to hate it.

soulsamurai said:
IllegalPaladin said:
soulsamurai said:
Random Canadian said:
pizzahut451 said:

----

The objective switches back when someone disarms a mine at the bunker or whatever was frago'd. It's really annoying because you won't notice the frago changed back sometimes.

Ah good, I'll continue to do what I was doing then.

It's broken, which is why I stopped playing MW1 and now MW2 multiplayer. Same reason I don't play Gears 2 multiplayer, and stick with Horde mode.

Ravage27 said:
maybe if more people play shooters other than COD, they will realize just how overrated that casual FPS is.

Sure, IW did a great job in attracting casuals, but the MW series has everything i hate when it comes to shooters. Killstreaks encourage camping and selfish play over teamwork and objectives. Bad map designs, mediocre campaigns with crap stories, simplistic gameplay that seldom rewards tactical moves and i don't need a MP reward system that plays like a jackpot machine.

MW2 is the most popular FPS right now, but there are more than enough reasons for some people to hate it.

This.

if something is very succesfull automatically there are coming many haters...its normal...