By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Heavenly Sword sold about 1.5m but devs didn't break even

I loved the game. If only they added another level or two they would've eliminated the major gripes that others have had about the game. Plus it didn't help that there weren't many PS3 to sell to since it was a launch title and it didn't have the longevity.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Kasz216 said:
Viper1 said:
Letsdance, his production roles would be paid at a rate comparable to the industry standard for those roles. That's about $90k per year. So if he was part of the team full time for 3 years, that's only $270k. His voice acting portion would take up far less time yet pay perhaps a little more total.

All in all, I'm quite certain he wasn't paid more than $1 million for his entire contribution to the game. And I'd wager it was probably closer to $750k.

Thank you.  I asked someone else in the industry for their opinion, but your that guy who talks to industry people right?  And did those roundtable discussions back when those happened?

You're welcome.  I plan to ask Tameem about it all this so hopefully we'll have less speculation and more truth to work with real soon.

Sorry for bringing back a thread from the dead and for completing forgetting to even ask Tameem about this but incidently he answerd this question posed by someone else earlier today.

Tameem: Hiring good actors had virtually nothing to do with it.  A common misconception by those who haven't worked closely with people from other media.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

epicurean said:
It's too bad, I loved the game, and still think it has the best voice acting in a video game to date.

Eh i really don't think so. They voice acting was good but all rockstar games this gen have  natural voice acting. Infact i think most of their games are like that.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

its been confirmed today that GT5 has a weather system, track editor and go karts! seriously i think this is going to be the best selling in the series even beating GT3 sales of 14 million plus!

All this talk of heavenly sword makes me want to go buy it!!

palancas7 said:

"It's just that when so many people have Xbox - I mean over half the market or more has Xbox 360s - why limit yourself to one platform?" commented Antoniades.

Funny. I guess they know their target audience.

Around the Network
Christhor said:
I have to ask, WTH was the team doing? They had 2 years development time (IIRC) and a seemingly HUGE budget, yet they only managed to make a 5 hour long game? What the hell??

It was early days with the PS3. The Dev kit was said to be near useless by those brave enough to criticise SONY (get caught and your dev kits are taken away)

So they had two years to

1. Build an engine on a totally unfamiliar platform

2. Create a game using that engine.

I think two years for both is OK.

It's absurd to think that they didn't break even, there is no reason that a 1.5 million copy seller can't break even, especially when it never got a price drop. $90 million in revenue, and they lost money? LOL. I know that about $20 mil goes to retailers, and a good chunk went to Sony since they published, but even then.

Enslaved isn't going to save Ninja Theory either. It was probably in their best interest to stay platform exclusive since us PS3 fans hype good exclusive games to death (see: success stories like Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Heavy Rain), but now they'll be lost in a sea of multiplatform games.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Sorcery said:

It's absurd to think that they didn't break even, there is no reason that a 1.5 million copy seller can't break even, especially when it never got a price drop. $90 million in revenue, and they lost money? LOL. I know that about $20 mil goes to retailers, and a good chunk went to Sony since they published, but even then.

Enslaved isn't going to save Ninja Theory either. It was probably in their best interest to stay platform exclusive since us PS3 fans hype good exclusive games to death (see: success stories like Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Heavy Rain), but now they'll be lost in a see of multiplatform games.

3DGH bombed hard, it sold only 13k total in Japan.  Also, it's likely overtracked by VGC in America, it's numbers here likely would've placed it in the NPD top 20 for both May (64k via VGC) and June (77k via VGC), and it didn't place for either.

Valkyria's probably embarrassingly overtracked for the Americas.  A (questionable) NPD placed it's US ltd around 150k last fall... VGC tends to do this with core niche games for some reason, it also happened with Demon's Souls.  If Sega had been happy with Valkyria sales, they wouldn't have jumped to PSP for the sequel...

Sorcery said:

NT likely only made about $20 per unit sold.  That's $30 million.  And remember that NT funded the project themselves BEFORE Sony signed on to publish. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised

jarrod said:
Sorcery said:

Enslaved isn't going to save Ninja Theory either. It was probably in their best interest to stay platform exclusive since us PS3 fans hype good exclusive games to death (see: success stories like Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Heavy Rain), but now they'll be lost in a see of multiplatform games.

3DGH bombed hard, it sold only 13k total in Japan.  Also, it's likely overtracked by VGC in America, it's numbers here likely would've placed it in the NPD top 20 for both May (64k via VGC) and June (77k via VGC), and it didn't place for either.

Valkyria's probably embarrassingly overtracked for the Americas.  A (questionable) NPD placed it's US ltd around 150k last fall... VGC tends to do this with core niche games for some reason, it also happened with Demon's Souls.  If Sega had been happy with Valkyria sales, they wouldn't have jumped to PSP for the sequel...

3DGH sold 28k in Japan, and this game probably cost nothing to make. In no way this bombed.

Sega told in the past that they were happy by the spike in VC sales. VC 2 surely was already in development.