By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Numbers : 11/12 - 11/18

leo-j said:
Famitsu obviously they have more markets reporting since they have a bigger number.

Well that´s not correct. Both Media Create and Famitsu do cover the roughly same percentage of the japanese retailers. 

What you do is to ask some stores about their sales figures and then calculate how many consoles have been sold. 

If it was like you said, VGchartz.com which covers only 1% of the Japanese market would show numbers like 6k PS3 and 3k Wii... you see your mistake? 

Around the Network

Um guys I think Leo-J was being sarcastic. I thoguht it was pretty funny personally.

And if not well then I agree with yall.

Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:
Famitsu obviously they have more markets reporting since they have a bigger number.

In otherwords... you have exactly zero clue how Ioi, MC, Famitsu or NPD do anything they do...

They get the same reports they get every month Leo-J. 

Well you dont get what I was saying(this goes for fishy joe as well)

Famitsu wont put false numbers. t

mM
Kasz216 said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Yes ,when I was answering the post hadnt been edited yet to include the full info and link.Its that MC usually gives thursday the software sales and friday the hardware sales so I was surprised to see the hardware in thursday .A big discrepancy of about 15K units between Famitsu and MC .

Ok... so why may I ask do you still say MC tracks 90% of the stores when their own website.... the one Dolla Dolla links to says 57%?

Care to comment?

I have read quite a bit of articles about MC and the way they come up with their numbers and the most common appreciation is that they cover more than 90% of stores in the densely populated areas of Japan .I have also taken a look at their site and didnt see that 57% reference.In the english version it simply isnt there  .Seeing as it was extrapolated and translated with god knows what cheapo internet-program from the japanese page I highly doubt its an accurate translation that means exactly that MC in the videogame industry only tracks 57% of stores .It could be ,if someone who speaks fluently japanese is around here he can help us and look at the MC japanese webpage to see what it exactly says .Besides ,the Famitsu english page stats thay they track a 80% of the console market and 60% of the PC market .Common sense suggest that if Enterbrain/Famitsu gives their numbers for free in Famitsu pages and had more accuracy that the paying MC agency MC would be out of the business long ago .So I believe the other reports I have read about MC tracking 90% have some sense .

leo-j said:
Kasz216 said:
leo-j said:

In otherwords... you have exactly zero clue how Ioi, MC, Famitsu or NPD do anything they do...

They get the same reports they get every month Leo-J. 

Well you dont get what I was saying(this goes for fishy joe as well)

Famitsu wont put false numbers. t

Neither would Medicreate.  They estimate based off about 60% media coverage each... therefore there is a decent chance they are going to be be off in their projections... every once in a while WAY off.

There is no way to tell who is right until the hardware shipment numbers are released every quarter.  Most people are just making fun of Diomedes because he likes to make up a Phantom 90% number and always claims that MC is more accurate when the reality is that MC gets more of their numbers from stores that specialize in VG sales. (AKA every behind console sells better there, last generation the gamecube sold better on MC then Famitsu.)

While Famitsu gets more of their numbers from more broader interest stores... therefore the more popular consoles do better.

Or atleast that would be my guess... as MC is historically always kinder to the losing consoles then Famitsu.  While Famitsu usually tracks the market leader higher. (Which isn't always Nintendo, last generation it was.... the PS2.)

Around the Network

who has better sources, media create or famitsu? or do they track the same sources?

so vgchartz overtracked the ps3 like 40% ?

Since Diomedes loves MC i think he will agree on that :)

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Diomedes1976 said:
Kasz216 said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Yes ,when I was answering the post hadnt been edited yet to include the full info and link.Its that MC usually gives thursday the software sales and friday the hardware sales so I was surprised to see the hardware in thursday .A big discrepancy of about 15K units between Famitsu and MC .

Ok... so why may I ask do you still say MC tracks 90% of the stores when their own website.... the one Dolla Dolla links to says 57%?

Care to comment?

I have read quite a bit of articles about MC and the way they come up with their numbers and the most common appreciation is that they cover more than 90% of stores in the densely populated areas of Japan .I have also taken a look at their site and didnt see that 57% reference.In the english version it simply isnt there  .Seeing as it was extrapolated and translated with god knows what cheapo internet-program from the japanese page I highly doubt its an accurate translation that means exactly that MC in the videogame industry only tracks 57% of stores .It could be ,if someone who speaks fluently japanese is around here he can help us and look at the MC japanese webpage to see what it exactly says .Besides ,the Famitsu english page stats thay they track a 80% of the console market and 60% of the PC market .Common sense suggest that if Enterbrain/Famitsu gives their numbers for free in Famitsu pages and had more accuracy that the paying MC agency MC would be out of the business long ago .So I believe the other reports I have read about MC tracking 90% have some sense .

The term "Market Coverage" is a little hard to just be accidently translated.

Also, since I've provided my work.  Why don't you provide yours.  Care to show your articles?

DOATS1 said:
who has better sources, media create or famitsu? or do they track the same sources?

Media Create should be the better source in general. It's used officially by the three companies in their reports, as far as I know.

It might be off this week, of course... We'll see.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

carlos710 said:
so vgchartz overtracked the ps3 like 40% ?

Since Diomedes loves MC i think he will agree on that :)

only when mc shows the ps3 higher

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!